• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How easy or difficult is it to repaint (recolor) your NCX?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hi guys

I am bored.
I think I wanna repaint my NCX .....wait for it..... MYSELF.
How easy is this, and which parts do I need to remove to make it a "professional look"?

I am not sure if this has been discussed before and my search turned up nothing.

Anyone care to educate me?
Do you know how to use those "laminating vinyl wrapping sheets"?

Thanks.

PS: What is your favorite color (besides the standard ones)?
Meaning, which color will you consider repainting your NCX?

I am thinking deep blue with gloss.
Like this one John found: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/bar/1761-blue-nc700x.html

OOps! Just found this link: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/1190-repaint-silver-plastics-matte-black.html

Last edited:
The black that Phillip had done to his is the best looking, so far, to me. He did an outstanding job on his, I hope you can do as well. Take lots of pictures so if you really screw it up, we can all see it.

I don't suggest to repaint the parts, instead of try to vinyl wrap it.
You'll need bubble free type sheets. Properly clean the surface, get a sharp blade, little scissors, plastik card or sg similar. I used a foam, that was removed from the biker jacket back protector ( it's just like amouse pad, but harder ). Cut it in a round shape and used this to push the vinyl onto the surface.
But you should try first on little pieces, how does it work. And use a heat gun, of course!
So, on flat surface, cut the proper size vinyl, do not stretch on, just put it on. Use the plastik card ( avoid scratching the vinyl!!! ) or your finger. Press the vinyl from the center to the sides. If you try it on black surface with lighter vinyl, you'll see the differences, where you properly pushed the backside adhesive to the material. It will be darker, than other parts.

So if you pressed the vinyl well, it will stay on the surfaces.
Try first on smaller parts.
nc700xvinyl.jpg

The easiest part is number 2 on this picture.
For those parts, where there is a bend, use a heat gun and stretch the material to the outer sides.
After you are done, always reheat those surfaces, where there is a curve ( but dont burn, just reheat it ).
After you can try 3 or 6.
1,4 and 5 is harder, to big surface to do it in one pass, but it can be done, if you the necessary skills.

Darker colors are easier to apply, if there were left any air bubbles accidently ( smaller one will disapper in a few days ) it is harder to notice them.
If you like the red, use metallic red, it is very nice both in 3M or Avery products.

Or you could use Plasti-Dip. Some people have sprayed whole cars with it and it's also very popular on the Harley forums. I've used it to good effect when I sprayed over a chrome rear light. It doesn't chip or peel, but is easy to remove of you change your mind as it protects the surface underneath. It is a spray on plastic, not a paint.

Happy Easter! I'd see if the missus has some leftover decorations from Easter and then paste it all over and then take a photo.
Wait for it.
Good things come to those who wait.
:p

Happy Easter!

Good things come to those who wait.

Bollocks! I've been waiting for the last 35 years for a buxom blond to whisk me a way.
I now realize the only way that I'm going to be whisk away is through them pearly gates!!

But just maybe the undertaker will be a buxom blonde

maybe Rocker but no good when me eyes are shut permanently and my friend dickey is all limp.
the only time I'll get a stiffy is when rigour-mortise sets in and I'll have a wooden over coat by then.
about much use as a chocolate fire guard!!;)

Sik Werks here in Seattle has painted a few NC700s and suggested that generally something in the neighborhood of $1500 would get a paint job done. I'm thinking about going bumblebee yellow when the PNW gets grouchy in December and January.

Back