• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

How about an NC 700/750 SCRAMBLER? What is you view on such a version?

Would you like a NC 750 SCRAMBLER version?

• Total voters

Mi_ka

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings to all people on the forum! I signed up here mainly to ask US based folks how they see this idea of mine:

An NC SCRAMBLER
based on the NC S street model you do not get in the US as far as I know.

I have already posted a similar thread on the british NC forum and also on a local forum but it seems to me more appropriate
to ask US folks on how they would see such an idea since the "Scrambler" motorcycle model versions boomed in numbers there before it all transformed into full blown specialized Motocross/Enduro bikes later on.

Following words are mostly copy/pasted from my british forum thread:

===

I have been looking at the NC bikes as a "real life" general purpose ride, as a real go-everywhere workhorse.

Where I live there are 50% winding mountain roads with the occasional connecting mild dirt road and 50% high speed flat straights with more than occasional high speed bumpy sections and often broken/polished asphalt and the cost of fuel makes mpg really important, a deciding factor whether I take a ride or not.
I would want to ride the bike for all purposes including long non stop riding stretches/weekend trips so a more "standard" street oriented riding stance is better suited even if it means a tad less low speed control when cornering than standing more "adventure" style on the bike.

So, both the X and S models do not fit my needs perfectly:

- I need a bike economical and practical the HONDA way, as the NC series demonstrates, with the NC's engine running characteristics.
- The bike ergonomics and riding style must be mostly oriented for street use like the S model.
- The suspension must be able to cope rough asphalt roads and mild gravel mountain roads like the X model.
- The wheels must be of spoke type (not cast) and the tyres must be 90%-10% asphalt-gravel type (something like the Pirelli MT90A/T).

So, what I need is the NC SCRAMBLER !

What I want is Honda to take this, the NC750S (or NC700S),

nc750s-2014-red.png

add the suspension of the NC750X (or NC700X), put spoke wheels with 90%-10%tyres,
provide a little more aggressive looks (spice it up but not too much! - this is an everyday civilian bike and not a Sunday sport bike).
Maybe also make the front 18'' (or 19''?) as well, maybe...

I want something like the following bike but not so aggressive, not so "sporty", i.e. I want this but in much more "Honda" ergonomics and craftsmanship mentality:

3bebd71ef52572770a881483be7e1b09.jpg

Such a version could spicy up the NC model series so that more young people look into the NC concept given the current "retro-ish" fashion trend in Europe and the US. In my opinion, many young fellows are not very fond of the NC current looks - just too mellow and uninspiring, however good the bike is in real life.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Do you find an NC Scrambler NC interesting?

How does it look to your american eye? Yummy or not?
Would you buy such a bike?
Should Honda come up with such a model to spice up the NC range?

Thank you for reading through all this!

Since I am following a number of forums, forgive me for not fully participating in your forum besides this thread though I promise to become a full member if I ever acquire an NC bike.

P.S. If anybody can come up with some photoshop Scrambler version I would be very much obliged since my graphic skills are nonexistent...

Welcome mi_ka :D

Allow me to be the first wet blanket in your thread, lol :eek:

I think you are just going for a look, and the actual mechanics of constructing your dream bike aren't necessary unless it's purely for personal aesthetics. Nothing at all wrong with that, I may add! ;)

"Must" have spoked wheels? See, to me, that is purely aesthetics, and a "want" not a need. Based on your statements regarding how you envision riding the bike, cast wheels would be far superior IMHO. Unless you go far into the $$$ range of customization, spokes= tubes. Flats and tube tires suck.

Scramblers and Bobbers are just too poser-ish for my own tastes, unless they truly are function over form. This is a very arguable area with infinite different opinions on the subject.

You have my 100% support in what you want to do for pure looks, but you will have to do an extremely good job of convincing me, regarding anything done other than for that. :p

Some vaguely mild off road tires thrown on a 700/750 S model, to me, sounds like it couldn't be beat for what you "need". ;)

So, both the X and S models do not fit my needs perfectly:

- I need a bike economical and practical the HONDA way, as the NC series demonstrates, with the NC's engine running characteristics.
Yes, very good.

- The bike ergonomics and riding style must be mostly oriented for street use like the S model.
Or the X model. Upright position with more protection from wind/weather. Over long riding periods and trips the X certainly does the job for me. YMMV
- The suspension must be able to cope rough asphalt roads and mild gravel mountain roads like the X model.
Like the X model with some helpful aftermarket love. I'm assuming you'd like to keep your teeth *in* your head.
- The wheels must be of spoke type (not cast) and the tyres must be 90%-10% asphalt-gravel type (something like the Pirelli MT90A/T).
Spokes with 90/10's? Really don't see the point there. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer the look of cast wheels. And if you're talking light gravel like you'd use a 90/10 tire for, there isn't much (any?) benefit to spokes.

While I think the look of the NC isn't drawing young fellows, I think they are even less drawn by the engine. It does what it was designed to do very well (go forever whilst sipping fuel). It wasn't designed to run 11,000 rpm or 150 (or 200) mph, which I think is what a large portion of 20-something males is looking for.

Mi_ka, can you clarify if the poll is intended to be open for "US based folks" only (based on the statement in your post)? This is an international forum, so the feedback is not going to limited to that from the USA as you might have hoped.

Last edited:
I am mainly interested to how US folks see the idea since this could pull some strings with Honda for such a model given the US market size but the poll is for anyone to vote, US and international member.

I really want to see if I am an odd egg or there are many others around looking for Scrambled ones :eek:

I guess I'm confused what you are looking for... (Or maybe about what the NC7(0/5)0S actually is)

Spoked tires aside...
you want a 90/10 basis bike.
Sounds like the NC700X right off the bat (sure stock tires on the 700 were more street basis and the 750 appears to come with 80/20's but split the difference and you have what you want)

But you want it to be more comfortable on the highway than what you think the NC7(0/5)0X will be? (Is there actually any difference in the seating/posture between the S and the X? it doesn't look like it to me, but I've never had a chance to sit on the S)

Seems like the answer to the question is to get a NC7(0/5)0X and put on new tires, maybe some highway pegs, and risers...

As for the spoked tires, I too had interest in such things once upon a time... There was even a thread here about a company looking into making them, but I don't know if there was enough interest in them or not.
I've done some reading and since come to the conclusion that they don't really add much to the bike for the cost, and they do (according to some) take away a fair amount of the robustness from the bike.
And from what I can gather the weight difference would be negligible.

However if you can find spoked tires for the NC I'd be more than interested in hearing your opinion riding with them, and some photos.

Ultimately here is the great thing about the NC7(0/5)0X for me it's a commuter most of the time...
For other people on the boards here, one photo will suggest they have an off-road machine. Still others clearly have a long distance touring bike... The differences is all in the accessories (And some of them aren't all that different of accessories, just used differently).
Some day I hope to get my NC to a ~90/10 or 80/20 basis tire (going to wear the OEM tires out first) add hard luggage, and some other accessories for comfort on the highway and do a cross country camping trip... 2-3 tanks of gas on the highway in a day, and then a half tank of gas to get off the road and into some national forest where I can camp for the night then back to the road the next day (maybe take a hotel every couple of days to shower, and do laundry, etc.)

I am mainly interested to how US folks see the idea since this could pull some strings with Honda for such a model given the US market size but the poll is for anyone to vote, US and international member.

The forum usually marvels at how much Honda apparently disregards the American market, so this may be a case of "barking up the wrong tree".

But you want it to be more comfortable on the highway than what you think the NC7(0/5)0X will be? (Is there actually any difference in the seating/posture between the S and the X? it doesn't look like it to me, but I've never had a chance to sit on the S)

Seat to peg is the same between the S and X, but the X has taller bars. I doubt S bars would clear the fairing on the X. I've never sat on an X, but I am perfectly comfortable on my S and I'm just under 6' tall.

While I kind of like the idea of a scrambler version, I would much prefer an adventure version of the X with better suspension, a 19" front wheel, a larger fuel tank, factory crash guards, ruggedizing the exposed components, a raised exhaust, shaft drive and more offroad oriented tires. Almost all of these items COULD be addressed with the aftermarket, but currently are not.

Last edited:
If you make do without a shaft drive, you are talking about the next generation AfricaTwin that was a best seller here 15 years ago and I think you never got there in the States.
This "Scrambler" version struck me when I realized that my needs now are for a street-with-off-abilities bike and not a big trail bike that does tarmac duty most of the time - riding stance is just too straight-up to fight the wind and I had my share of windscreen experimenting on my former NX650 to know that I do not like tall windshields anymore (on up to logical traveling speed bikes at least - they have to be too big and ugly to have more than just a narrow sweet aerodynamic spot - I leave them for proper touring or other big bikes where they do not look like out of place).

===

My poll findings here and at the english forum are that not many guys would really love a Scrambler so I have no solid ground to stand upon talking my way to Honda... :(
I shall just have to make my own when and if I move away from bankruptcy...

Last edited:
Honda discontinued the African Twin worldwide last year because sales were way DOWN-riders stopped buying the thing.
I bought the NC700x for what it is, and it is already 90/10 off the showroom floor, even with the street tires (I have ridden many miles of gravel on the street tires and they do ok).
Spoked wheels?? Never again if I can help it, easier to fix flats out in the middle of nowhere with cast wheels and tubeless tires. The country road I live on has terrible rough asphalt and the bike does fine on it. I am never going to ride off road where I have to worry about bending a cast wheel. If a rider doesn't like the straight up position on the x, adjust the dang handlebars forward (they are not clip-ons, thus adjustable) and lean forward.

Honda discontinued the African Twin worldwide last year because sales were way DOWN-riders stopped buying the thing.
Last year? They stopped selling it here a decade ago. Sales here skyrocketed between '95-'00. I even had a race-bred friend break half the plastics following us on trail rides while we were on proper 250 trail bikes. It was much more capable than mediocre power and soft "luxury" style made you think of it. It did not have the "Dakar" feel dynamics of the Cagiva Elefant 750 or the DR800 single cylinder agility but it was a solid model for local needs back then.

The country road I live on has terrible rough asphalt and the bike does fine on it. I am never going to ride off road where I have to worry about bending a cast wheel.
So the cast wheels survive high speed broken tarmac sharp bumps well enough?

If a rider doesn't like the straight up position on the x, adjust the dang handlebars forward (they are not clip-ons, thus adjustable) and lean forward.
Ok, you got me! I prefer the S looks than the X but preferred not to mention it as you only get the X there :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thank you for reading through all this!

I want to thank everybody for casting their vote.
I am pretty disappointed of the results as I expected the Scrambler spirit to be stronger especially in the US.
However, if I ever turn my economics around, an S-DCT will be scrambled up by me for sure and I shall be posting results here, hopefully before gasoline is banned as automotive fuel altogether in the far future.

P.S. If anybody can come up with some photoshop Scrambler version I would be very much obliged since my graphic skills are nonexistent...

If anybody has time to do this I would be thankful :rolleyes:

Since I am following a number of forums, forgive me for not fully participating in your forum besides this thread though I promise to become a full member if I ever acquire an NC bike.

Write that off - it seems that your forum has already lured me to add one more forum to feed my internet e-OCD syndrome :eek:

Revisiting the idea after participating in MT-09 conversations I am even more convinced that this is the way I would go should $$ ever come my way:
A go everywhere bike that does not lure me into sport performance riding territory and just carries me into long soul-exploring rides is what I really want just before entering my 42 year of existence.
So I am convinced that what I want is an NC750Scrambler DCT bike. If only Honda would take notice so I would not have to make one myself in danger of botching the idea...

That pic of the Moto morinee looks tidy,I too like the Scrambler look,but I doubt this is the bike for that look.but it would make an reasonably good ADV bike..As for spoked wheels,they are ok but it means tubed tyres...But then you could have a 19" or perhaps a 21" front wheel,which would do wonders for the crappy ride....

That pic of the Moto morinee looks tidy,I too like the Scrambler look,but I doubt this is the bike for that look.but it would make an reasonably good ADV bike..As for spoked wheels,they are ok but it means tubed tyres...But then you could have a 19" or perhaps a 21" front wheel,which would do wonders for the crappy ride....

It seems some Thai guys have already race adventured the CB500X big time:

26278d1391584926-honda-cb-500-x-adventure-bike-conversion-image.jpg

(from here: Honda CB 500 X adventure bike conversion )

That looks nice but not what I have in mind - this is pretty much a full blown big adventure bike that has lost any street oriented identity.

Back