• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Horizons Unlimited - September 4 - 7

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
Once again the quacks called doctors tell me that there is no way I can possibly be out of this wheel chair in time for something I want to do.

On August 29, I plan to be out of this wheel chair and walk into our new football stadium for the first game. I was lucky enough to walk into the first football game ever played in the old Astrodome, and I will walk into the first game ever played at the new football stadium! One of my old friends just died, they will be honoring him, so no way I will not be standing.

UOFH-Football.jpg

[video=youtube;b7Nmj23mwdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7Nmj23mwdM[/video]

After that I will get back on Nana Chou and be off to Horizons Unlimited. No way will I be in a cage this year! Sure be nice to see some of you guys there.

Last edited:
The mentioning of the Astrodome brings back some nice memories. When I was a cadet onboard a chemical tanker that frequently visited the Houston area I was invited by the ships agent to visit the rodeo at the Astrodome. I had one of the best times during my time as an apprentice. Reading your message I'm wondering if that Astrodome is replaced by a new one or did they build a new somewhere else?

The name had a recent change from Reliant Park to NRG Park. It sits next door to the old Astrodome.

[video=youtube;QpalGg0_FcE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpalGg0_FcE&list=PLHA9bH2Hern-0niEQDfaz9nI2IPWWJmLc[/video]

Last edited:
Glad to see your getting better and itching to ride again. Your comments on the HU got me to go to the one in Grant CO and it was a great ride and enlightening experience. Due to an accident on 295 and CO closing the road for 4 hours just outside os Buena Vista CO I did not get to the grounds till close to 6pm and missed lots of conversations. I rode the newbie off road ride on Saturday and had a blast, learned a lot also, but mostly was overwhelmed by the beauty of CO. Lots of cool people who even at my age are starting a RTW tours. Got me to think about the HU gathering in Canada Aug 21 -24 but I need to be back on the 26 for helping at my old work. If I don't go to Canada HU and my old boss isn't asking me to help out I may just try to see you in NC on Sept 4 - 7.

In CO many asked about the X and I said it was a Adventure Wanabe (my bad I know) but that several others had made it equal to the BMW/KLR/DL650 and lot more reliable. Only thing I think gave it away was on the rumble tracks or heavy erosion multiple bumps as the mirrors and bars were buzzing and the DL650 rider assigned to help/watch/educate me did not have same issues. I never lost it but his mirrors were always clear. May have been my inexperience and maybe should have lowered the air in the front tires, but at least I never went down. When I told them I was planning to ride back in one day to San Antonio they were skeptical but little did they know the smooth riding of the X and her ability to eat up miles at 70 - 80 mph all day long. StratTuner encouraged me to run long as he was doing 1000 mile days back to back..... don't think I could pull that off but the X can do it.. Oh well off subject again ... Thanks for recommending the HU gatherings, they ought to call them HUGs as everyone sure were helpful and encouraging to me and other newbies. Hard to say much when your HU neighbor has a $28k KTM and his neighbor has $26K GS and they were Newbies like me .... They both skipped the Newbie ride and did the intermediate ride and the GS rider dumped it big time (as told by others) and the KTM rider turned tail when the real riding started...and still I have almost $20K left to travel with .... I had a blast, thanks again for recommending the HU gathering.

Last edited:
You are correct in saying that you do have to take your tire air pressure back to 25 pounds when riding in the dirt. As you said, the BMW, KTM, and other bikes made for dirt riding do have better suspensions than the NC7, but you do pay a BIG PRICE for those suspensions. My problem is that I keep trying to drive as fast as these adventure bikes made for the dirt do in the dirt, which puts me down every time. I guess it is just the alpha male in me! When I slow down, and ride the ride I know I can ride with the NC7, I do ok. Dirt tires do help, but as shown in What Next"s recent ride to Alaska, they are not a must if you just slow down.

Last edited:
So, is anyone else going? I would hate to see OCR, with his battered old body, be the only NC guy there. :)

I'm thinking about it. I would like to know where everyone is staying. Is it Iron Horse only or are places near by good enough? I've stayed at a place called Tumbling Waters that is only a few miles down the road.

Wish I could go but I have plans to be in Alaska :) instead that week (not via motorcycle :().

Iron Horse looks like a real nice place.

Last year there were 4 of us at Horizons Unlimited.

HorizonGroup.jpg

We camped out next to the main building.

HorizonTents.jpg

At nice camp ground, with nice facilities.

HorizonParking.jpg

Last edited:
I have every plan to be at Horizons Unlimited. When riding I sit on my butt, not my knees. I have enough cushion there to ride in complete comfort.

Last edited:
I know I'm about 90% sure to make it and have been upping chore and project duty around the house so the S/O doesn't have added responsibilities while I'm away. Should probably make a campsite reservation pretty soon.

I have every plan to be at Horizons Unlimited. When riding I sit on my butt, not my knees. I have enough cushion there to ride in complete comfort.

We are quite different! My skinny butt has to get up every now and then. Instead of stopping, I just lean forward and get up using my legs for ten seconds. It helps get blood back into my almost non-existent bum. (Helps my knees, too.)

He will be my second grandchild. If I had known how much fun they are I would have had them first.

I'm 49 with a 4 and 6 year old. I think I'm probably a much better father at this age than I would have been when I was younger so I agree.

I was almost 25 when I had my first kid. Now, I have kids from 45 to 19. Still have two in college. However, I believe I got cheated. I have had only one wife over all these years. Oh yeah, got 6 grand kids and one great grand kid. And you all wonder why I travel and stay gone so much! See you guys at Horizons Unlimited.

On August 29, I plan to be out of this wheel chair and walk into our new football stadium for the first game. I was lucky enough to walk into the first football game ever played in the old Astrodome, and I will walk into the first game ever played at the new football stadium! One of my old friends just died, they will be honoring him, so no way I will not be standing.
I have great memories of watching Earl Campbell run over players time-and-time again. Bum would throw him in everytime the Oilers needed some yardage. He just punished whoever was in front of him. I really miss the Astrodome! I worked in Houston for a couple of years in the seventies. Times were good back then with work enough for everyone.
Hope you heal quickly OCR!

I know I'm about 90% sure to make it and have been upping chore and project duty around the house so the S/O doesn't have added responsibilities while I'm away. Should probably make a campsite reservation pretty soon.

Well I just made a bunk house reservation ... I know wuss doesn't camp .... working into it. The CO gathering was so cool and the people so helpful and un-critical of the X I'm hooked on HU. Course saw more KTM/BMW/KLRs than in my life time in one place but everyone was real helpful about getting into semi off-road/off-road. Thanks to Old can Ride recommending HU I had the best 4 days ever in CO at a HU gathering. There is even a bigger one in CA the end of Sept. going to try and make it also. The presentations are good but just sitting around drinking a beer/water with the people was a wealth of information. Meet a 72 year old starting his second RTW tour but this time on a KLR as the last time got stranded in Argentina on a BMW GS and had to fly to NY to get a part or wait 3 months ($1100.00). He definitely has more spare cash than I do.. ;-(

Back