• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda True Adventure

I hope Honda makes at least two types.

Non-ABS and Non Traction control. Non electrical suspension settings.
Very basic.
This would be the dual sport package that is around the price of the 2015 Tiger 800XC base model. $10,000 -11,000. It would be for the less is more riders. For great riders who are old school with tech, and want a weekend warrior toy, or those with enough money in their pocket to sale their KLR or V-Strom 650 and go on a epic tour on their respected continent. Most likley only found in the USA.
It would be about $5,000-$6,000 or so more than the XR650L

The second trim would be the high tech model with everything. DCT, ABS, Traction Control, Suspension Settings. Riding mode maps. Heated grips, cruise control. Lots more, and pannier racks. For the older rider who has the cash and wants the comfort. This would be around the price of the Super Tenere ES model. So, $16,000-$17,000.
It would be about $5,500 -$6,500 or so more than the base low tech model.

Honda would have enough seperation for them to not compete with one another.

Last edited:
I hope Honda makes at least two types.

Non-ABS and Non Traction control. Non electrical suspension settings.
Very basic.
This would be the dual sport package that is around the price of the 2015 Tiger 800XC base model. $10,000 -11,000. It would be for the less is more riders. For great riders who are old school with tech, and want a weekend warrior toy, or those with enough money in their pocket to sale their KLR or V-Strom 650 and go on a epic tour on their respected continent. Most likley only found in the USA.
It would be about $5,000-$6,000 or so more than the XR650L

The second trim would be the high tech model with everything. DCT, ABS, Traction Control, Suspension Settings. Riding mode maps. Heated grips, cruise control. Lots more, and pannier racks. For the older rider who has the cash and wants the comfort. This would be around the price of the Super Tenere ES model. So, $16,000-$17,000.
It would be about $5,500 -$6,500 or so more than the base low tech model.

Honda would have enough seperation for them to not compete with one another.

My wild, uninformed opinion, total guess, is that the price will be $9,985 without the DCT and will seriously kick Adventure Bike manufacturer butt.

It is hard to guess what the value will be because it might be something really special.
Things could get out of control if the frame was light enough to make her low 400lbs or upper 300lbs. With enough range for 180-200 miles.
The BMW HP2 is 430lbs curb weight.

The Super Ten does not sale for MSRP, not even close. Honda knows this.
I think selling a $15,000+ MC, would not be as profitable as selling a $10,000 MC. They could sale the base model 4 times as much as the high end model. $15 K + is enough to make you talk your self out if it.

Heck, the NC was $6,999! Great value. The very next year saw a $500 increase on cost.

It is going to be fun to finally get the specs. At least months from now.
The easy guess is weight. 400-500lbs. Wet. So put me down for 450lbs if it is 1,000cc. 430lbs if she is 800cc.

The base model would weigh much less than the high tech one.

No clue about anything else.

Last edited:
2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin Confirmed and Coming to US » Motorcycle.com News

Honda officially confirmed it is bringing back the Africa Twin, with the adventure bike expected to arrive in U.S. dealerships in early 2016. To the surprise of very few, the 2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin is the final production version of the True Adventure prototype revealed at EICMA last fall.

Details remain scarce, just as they were when the prototype was introduced. The True Adventure was caked in mud and camouflage paint but we can see from Honda’s teaser images the production model stays fairly close to the look of the prototype. Honda also released the teaser video below as part of its “True Adventure” video series that gives us an idea of what the new Africa Twin will sound like.

The full model name “CRF1000L Africa Twin” combines two key influences in development of the new bike. The new Africa Twin carries spiritual ties to the XRV650 Africa Twin which debuted in 1988 and was soon followed by the XRV750. The original Africa Twin was a tribute to Honda’s Paris-Dakar Rally success with the NXR-750. The CRF1000L name connects the Africa Twin with Honda’s current Dakar racer, the CRF450 Rally.

Eagle-eyed observers of the prototype would have noted its lack of a clutch lever, leading to the assumption the Africa Twin would come with Honda’s Dual Clutch Transmission. Honda confirmed the Africa Twin will have a newly-developed evolution of its DCT system specifically programmed for off-road riding. DCT will be optional so those who prefer a traditional clutch won’t be left out.

don’t know much else about the engine, except that it is a parallel-Twin displacing around 1000cc. That puts the new Africa Twin at a larger engine displacement than the XRV750 and XRV650 but smaller than those powering ADV bikes from the European manufacturers like the BMW R1200GS, Ducati Multistrada 1200 and KTM 1290 Super Adventure R, but that should also translate to a lighter motorcycle.

Patent applications filed by Honda suggest the Africa Twin will use a unique airbox design that places the air cleaner outside the frame to allow more room for a larger fuel tank. Other patent filings believed to be related to the Africa Twin include a design for seat height adjustment.

We’re eagerly awaiting more details, especially regarding the Africa Twin’s weight, power and pricing. Expect more info to come out shortly.

[Source: Honda]

Edit: I did not see episode 4 The meeting part 2.

Last edited:
Looking at the couple of pics, I like what I see.

The seat and gas tank look really slim. Very dirt bike ergo like.
I am not sure if fuel will be under the seat.

Potintial will be there for Honda USA to sale alot of these MCs IF they offer a base model with no abs.
From what we know, there will be a DCT and manual clutch models to pick from. Hopefully the non DCT model will have two options. ABS and non ABS.
I believe we will see three trims at least in the USA.
DCT with ABS
ABS
Non-ABS

It looks like Jap MC do not offer ABS to be turned off at a switch a button, but they do sale non ABS MC here in the USA.
Examples are the CB500X and the NC700X. In Europe, they are only ABS. Not sure about else where.

Last edited:
From USA Honda website:
"TRUE ADVENTURE BEGINS THIS FALL
It's the bike the whole world's been waiting for. Bred from our Dakar-winning champions. Ready to take you to the four corners of the world. And offering the Honda-inspired confidence you need to take on true adventures.

The all-new Honda Africa Twin. Everything an adventure bike should be."

There is some chatter on her being a 50/50 MC.
I think this is the best set-up for touring.

P. Twin is optimal. Best comprimise for less vibes yet good acceleration, and narrow wheel base. Check

21" front and 17" rear. The videos of the MC look like a 17". No need to drag the pegs on a road you have never beem on, and the big guy is there to help you in the sandy stuff. No specs yet on rear.I will Check this anyway.

Chain as final drive. Less weight. Sure the day to day up keep is more, but the service interval to replace should be less than the routine up keep of the shaft drive. Check.

1,000cc. This has me bothered. 400cc-750cc is optimal for a solo rider.
However, she has plenty of displacement to maybe allow for a very long oil and filter life as well as valve service interval. Bottum line, she has the beans for interstate roads, tons of gear, 2up, massive rider. Check.

Forest Roads. She looks like she could munch up miles fairly quickly. Check

Single Trail or technical conditions or off road. This a location that sees very little use for MC over 400lbs. The dirt bike ergos, skid plate, and other visible items look good. The suspension and how top heavy she is will play the last factors. So this spot is still blank.

Range: I have no clue here. 200-250 is a good range to have.
Still blank.

Cargo room. Looks ok thanks to the rear seat hand holds. Check.

Protection from the environment. hand guards and wind shield and two lights so cagers can see you. Still little info. Still blank.

Comfort. No clue. Still blank.

Gas needed. Ideally, the cheapsest gas is optimal. If premium is needed she will be on the Starbucks parking lot side of the house. Still blank.

All and all, it seems like it would be more attractive to me than the S10 or the V2.

Price will be the biggest factor. I still have a Baja and Alaska tour to do. The MIGHTY DR would be good for Baja, but a used NC700X with a suspension up grade would be good for Alaska.

If the base model is $15,000, forget it.

$11,000 for a base model would be ok. This would be the non abs model.

Last edited:
Another BIG Adventure bike... sigh... I'm sure everyone will enjoy picking her up when she falls over in the mud!

I wonder if anyone has ever been heard to say "I wish I had brought a bigger heavier bike" when they are trying to pick it back up on their round the world ride? ;-)

Another BIG Adventure bike... sigh... I'm sure everyone will enjoy picking her up when she falls over in the mud!

I wonder if anyone has ever been heard to say "I wish I had brought a bigger heavier bike" when they are trying to pick it back up on their round the world ride? ;-)

I comply agree with you, netizen. The Moto Guzzi V7 II weights around 415 lbs. with shaft drive , 18" front wheel, and 31.5 inch seat height. Weight is very important !!!!!!!!!!

I forgot to put down type of petrol or gas needed.
85 octane is a cheap blend. It is common in high elevations.

My major qualms in order of most important:
Initial price for the base model.
Fuel blend
Fuel economy
Range
Weight

$11,000
87 octane
53mpg
240 miles
474lbs.

If any of those are too far removed, I will just keep the DR.
I can work with mass and range the most.
Fuel type must be 87 octane. And of course I would not need a MC that expensive, seeing how I am a easy rider.

Last edited:
I really like that Honda put the Honda Wing badge right where BMW would mount their Roundel. Don't get me wrong, I like BMW's and the people who ride them. Heck, I was VP of my BMW club for three years, great bunch of people.

Comparing to the V2

This Suzuki, which comes in at 503lbs and 5.3 gallons, is a solid transpo, with great value.
$12,699. USA
The 19" tyre and 6.3" of travel make for a really fun sport/ADV touring MC.
200-250 mile rangd.
She is clearly a 75%+ street.

The CRF will have the same cc displacement and number of pistons.
The front tyre will allow less twisty agressive riding, but more forest/dirt road aggressive riding.

We must wait and see on the other factors.

If the CRF is 25lbs lighter and has the same range, the price should be less than the V2 MSRP.

If it is 50lbs lighter and has the same range, the price should be more than the V2 MSRP.

If she 75lbs lighter with the same range, I do not want to even look at the price tag.

After looking at the pics...

The fuel tank is bigger than I thought.
Plus the new design has more fuel lower on the frame.

The juice could be a solid 5 gallons!

I hope she takes cheap gas.

I had hoped that Honda would go after the weight and power class of the Tiger800XC. It is still too early to tell. But I am getting my hopes up.

Imagine 50+ fuel economy and long valve check intervals on this 21" tyre transpo.
Sick awsome North America touring.

Last edited:
As long as the MC is about 100lbs less than the S10, and the same range. Honda will have a winner.

I have the range of the S10 about 240 miles.

The ergos and perhaps low center of gravity will make her much more fun on forest roads than the V2.
And of course the 21" tyre!

The new CRF would be able to keep up with any MC on the tarmac, but be right behind other 650 thumpers on forest roads. Granted, in some sections thijgs will get harry.

This dl650 commerical reminds of what the new CRF will be like.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UPBq_Rt6ZNM

I really wanted her to be 800cc max, but it looks like Honda will have her priced around the V2.
I hope the base model without ABS will be $11,000 ish.

Last edited:
Back