• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Quality? maybe maybe not

2014nc7xrider

Reaction score
Visit site
So Finally done with first service and I got to strech the NCs legs. Things I have noticed before and during are as follows.
1 prior to finishing breaking as per factory spec, the indicated mpg averages for 2 tanks which I was paying attention to were 62 and 64...not to bad
wrong actual mileages were 45 and 52 and yes I know how to figure mileage.
Figured well its still breaking in.
2 after break in, gone for first brisk ride and it seems my speedo almost like sticks at 75mph for like 2 seconds although it seems i'm still accelerating at the previous pace, then counts off 5 mph is 1 second and continues as before going up
this always occurs at 75 exactly in any gear.
is it possible my bike has an issue with speed and mile count which could be the cause for my horrible mileage? I was riding like a meek sheep and don't believe I even made more then 4k rpms during break in. So there is no way I should have had anything less then 55mpg.

P.s I also had a transmission slip, which occurred between, 5-6 gears it engaged into 6 for about 1 second then kicked back out to a ghost neutral with bad noise I clutched and up shifted back into 6 this was on mild acceleration at like 45mph, was hoping for honda quality and, i'm beginning to fear it may not be
yes I will verify the speed thing with a GPS when I have a chance maybe im goin crazy, but the MPG fail is disheartening (one of the 2 reasons i bought it)

2014 nc700x Black bought New 0 miles all stock. 6 bikes and riding 7 years experience

Sounds like you have some issues, none that I have with my 2012. Have to admit, I do not spend much time at 75 mph, but it will see 75 to 80 with passing, and when I've been out chasing a friend with his BMW 1200 GS, which walks right away from the NC. I still get 50 mpg. Around here 55 to 65 mph, on our crowed 2 lane roads is the norm and I get 65 to 70 mpg.

Hope you get it sorted out and Honda will stand behind their product.

Art

I think my first tank mpg was 48 or so, and I have recorded 46 as well, so I'm thinking it's more how the rider (you and me) operates the bike than the bike being at "fault", but I'm just voicing my opinion. I try to avoid going over 75 mph like the plague, because I now know it trashes my mpg's.

Also, it's not out of the realm of possibility that your clutch freeplay simply might not be set properly causing the clutch to slip. If you are experiencing transmission problems, I heartily empathize mate, but as with any mass produced item offered on this planet, the odd machining or assembly goof up can occur, which doesn't reflect the entire company and it's millions of products sold, in a broad sweeping brush of blame.

If a whole bunch of us reported transmission problems and hideous fuel economy, for sure the pitchforks and torches could be hoisted in righteous anger, but I don't believe there has been a global condemnation of Honda's NC700X quality control no longer being valid.

I've also had my NC slip into a ghost neutral, but I have had that happen on most of the bikes I've ridden. Sometimes we don't remove our foot fully from the gear shift lever, which doesn't allow the mechanism to realign properly and then we don't get a "full" shift.

Last edited:
I've also had my NC slip into a ghost neutral, but I have had that hapen on most of the bikes I've ridden. Sometimes we don't remove our foot fully from the gear shift lever, which doesn't allow the mechanism to realign properly and then we don't get a "full" shift.

There have been more than a few posts on forums I frequent, about people reporting their bike not shifting right, and wondering about mechanical issues and maladies, which in the end, turned out to be the new boots they bought, and they were just not properly engaging the shift lever fully.

I am NOT saying this is 2014Nc7xrider's problem. Just that there is always another take on a given topic, with many factors to consider. Hopping onto my CBR from my NC requires a definite change in how I approach my shifting, and I absolutely cannot wear the same boots, they won't even fit under the shift lever, and I can't feel the brake pedal, lol.

My BMW shifted like a bag of rocks, and had so many false neutrals I despaired passing vehicles on two lane highways, because of the ever present fear of the *crunch* zzzziiiiiiiing of the tach hitting redline, without the accompanying forward momentum I was counting on!

I have found that on a number of my bikes, I have had to adjust the position of the gear lever to achieve smooth changes. My experience to date with my NC is that it is one of the best gearboxes I have ever experienced on a motorcycle. My KTM's on the other hand can be a bit notchy and one of them had to be adjusted to improve matters.

I suggest that you try some adjustment on the gear lever to see if you can achieve a more positive change on your bike. If not, then it needs to go back to the dealer as soon as possible to prevent possible damage from the activity you describe.

I agree with the adjustment of the lever, I had a nasty ankle break falling off a ladder back in '95 and have gradually lost upward movement of my foot due to a bone spur forming, so I have to adjust the lever a tad lower to compensate.

Sounds like a issue with the speed senor. I would have the dealer take a look at it since it's under warranty. As for the mpg thing, my worst tank ever was 58 and that was play as hard as I could with the bike. Now that I passed 7,500 miles I have no issue getting low 70 mpg to 80 mpg.

I try to avoid going over 75 mph like the plague, because I now know it trashes my mpg's.

It doesn't trash mine - I commute, 2/3rd of my journey is 90 mph I filled up today 183 miles for 12.6 litres (not sure what that is in US gallons) 66 mpg imperial is pretty good.

It doesn't trash mine - I commute, 2/3rd of my journey is 90 mph I filled up today 183 miles for 12.6 litres (not sure what that is in US gallons) 66 mpg imperial is pretty good.

That is ~55 US mpg. Actually I'm surprised it is that good. I’m betting if the whole trip was at 90mph you would drop into the high 40s US mpg.

"trash" is obviously relative. If you are happy with 55 US mpg, then awesome, that's the spirit to enjoy your bike with, no argument from moi! ;)

For me though, I am not thrilled with anything under 60 US as a minimum, and aspire to one day reach the 80's if at all possible. :D

You couldn't pay me to ride my NC at 90mph for any longer than 5 minutes either, lol. I'm just not into that discomfort. Wasn't when I was young (unless racing at the track of course, but that's different) and it certainly holds no appeal now that I'm older.

well as far as fuel economy being low, i'm complaining cause those 2 tanks were at grandma acceleration and speeds, now the last tank which isn't empty yet if i got 55 mpg all good with that but if I babied my bandit 1200 I could get better then 45 with out a doubt. I have had 2 other bikes of 6 that missed shifts, regardless of foot wear, randomly(both suzuki's), but only one time can i think of were the bike engaged into a gear for a whole second and accelerated then kicked out. regardless if I half shifted it should stay or miss not in and out. generally when i'm riding fast its 75-80 and I don't usually accelerate over 2/3 I just like to lay bikes in the corner is all, just need speed to enjoy the corners I speed less in straights. seems like them foot pegs are a long way down there to don't think I have gotten close even.

So anyone notice there mpgs being lower when new, and after the engine full breaks in gaining some? I have always heard this but never experenced it. I got a new windscreen today some maybe that will help...the 6,3 frame with a large coat makes some drag.

The are outliers in every sample.....however there are too many owners reporting "normal" variations in fuel economy for me to believe your mileages are anything but normal. The only time I see mpg under 60 or 64 is when riding at speeds over 75 mph. That's normal for me. 45 was the lowest and that was riding 75 to 80 mph 150+ miles into a headwinds that were documented to be 20 gusting to near 30. That's like a constant 95 to 100 mph. I've tracked close to 80 fill ups now on my bike and there is a huge amount of data on 300+ NC700Xs on Fuelly. When I'm riding twisty roads the mileage isn't really compromised much.....it's air drag from speeds over 65 that begin to pull down mpg. In the twisties I'm generally riding 30 to 60 and heavy wringing of the throttle really doesn't affect mpg that much. That's been my experience at any rate.

ok well I'm goin to let this next tank pass and then check the next one, also im going to verify with gps the mile count is correct or dang close and if that's all ok then lord let that trany issue be an isolated incident. If I cant get 55 mpg on standard riding which is up to 65 mph I think I will be heading to the dealer.

so that faster I ride the better the fuel economy is...that first tank ever break in 64 mpg then the next average riding which is faster acceleration and driving all around then brake in, 60 then followed by 62. Normal riding for me is low 60's thats a good as it gets :). hasn't sliped gears since (Yay), and as for 75mph I haven't GPS'ed it but its def doing something before it decides to go faster but hey it keeps me from getting over 75 which is fine its half the reason I bought the bike to keep me from getting out of control with speed.

We talked about economy multiple times. The best mpg for this particular bike is browsing country roads at app 45 mph. As for better mileage after break up-i didn't noticed on NC, but it's quite significant on our brand new little sentra , after I did first oil change(at 4k miles)using recommended synthetic 0w-20 oil. It went from 29mpg to 33 with average speed of whopping 20 mph(this is why I bought it in first place, for stop and go short trips)

So finally got my GPS on the bike to test that weirdness which I coulda swore was occuring at 75mphs and I was right. At 74mph my gps indicated 1mph off. accelerating lightly through the 75mph zone I got to 81 before it read 76 on my speedo (AH HA i'm not crazy!) as I proceeded it continued to get more off as I went at 91mph GPS registered speed I was reading 82 MPH on my dash time to send a shout out to the dealer and see what they say. Now at thoughs speeds I need to be carefull anyways but dang 10 mphs could mean making a corner and not.

Back