• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda Patents Automatic Emergency Braking Technology

The system is still able to catch that, at least on a car. Programming determines how it responds to that, of course. Guess it depends on how they do it on the bikes. I think it's an interesting idea. My wife's vehicle has this system (not Honda), as well as lane departure warning and correction, blind spot monitoring, and rear cross-traffic warning. It's quite useful.

I draw the line at DCT.
No thanks Honda, keep it on cars where it's still OK
for computers to make mistakes.

The Toyota's is a combination of cameras and radar. I forgot to say that it also has proximity sensors to help you not bump into nearby cars (as in a parking lot) or children. That portion _may_ use sonar; I can't recall.

Oh, and radar cruise control (if you choose to turn it on). That will keep you at least a certain minimum distance from the car in front of you, and will slow you down below your cruise set point if the car in front is going slower and you don't change lanes to pass. You can choose from about 3 levels of allowable 'closeness.' I find that last one irritating, because my dear wife is generally oblivious to the fact that the car has slowed down, so there have been times on the freeway that we have gone from a cruise set point of 70 - 75 down to 50 mph for quite a while because she just doesn't realize what's happening (other lanes are clear for passing).

I remember when auto dim headlights came out a friend of mine was constantly getting high beams flashed at him because the sensor on his car did not lower his beams as early as a person would have.
There will be dead pedestrians, dogs, etc. not seen by these systems, but we will be told "well, it is safer overall" which may be true but is little consolation if it is you the car hits.

That's rather stupid. These systems are purely supplemental. They are like backup cameras, though, in that they _improve_ your ability to avoid a problem. They do not interfere with it in any way.

That's rather stupid. These systems are purely supplemental. They are like backup cameras, though, in that they _improve_ your ability to avoid a problem. They do not interfere with it in any way.

I hope they can sense when you are leaned over or initiating a swerve (or otherwise applying input to the handlebars to alter your course)--would suck to have brakes applied in those situations if you weren't expecting it.

Back