• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hippo Hands

motocommuter

Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased the Hippo Hands hand covers. They are AWESOME! Yes, they do look incredibly dorky, but they work! When I installed them, it was in the low 50's. I took a 30 minute ride at high way speeds without any gloves to see how well they worked ( not smart I know, so save the ridicule please ). Never once did I wish I had gloves on. These are hand made in Canada. Note, you need some sort of hand guard with these to keep the wind from pushing them against the levers at speed.

The hand guards I bought are the same ones from the twisted throttle project nc700x. They are made by bark buster. I am still waiting for them. They should be in by Friday. I'll take pics later.

I use some similar handlebar muffs. Yes, they look dorky. But they also work. I've been able to commute for an hour at 16F without any electrics, just gloves and liners.

I used a piece of left-over metal to form an "L" shaped bracket to hold the muffs off the brake levers. The bracket attaches at the handlebar weight.

Chris

HELP ME PLEASE, MY NCX'S M8 SCREWS on the handlebars are very hard to remove, what equip is needed to do it?

Are you talking about the screws on the ends of the handlebars holding the bar end weights on?

Heat.

The screws are installed with a higher strength thread locking compound, that requires a little heat to help with removal.

I used a heat gun, with a little "funnel" made out of a few wraps of tinfoil wired onto the tip, to make a smaller aperture for the heat to focus through. (so I didn't melt my rubber grips) I made sure to direct the heat only at the screw, and not the bar end weight. The screws almost undo themselves with help from heat. Very easy!

Alternatively, if a micro butane torch, or a heat gun scare you or are unavailable, you could always use a soldering iron. Hold the tip of the soldering iron directly on to the screw for a few minutes, and the heat transfer should be enough to melt/loosen up the thread locker for easy removal.

Undo the screw while still warm, make sure not to burn or melt anything with too much heat! It doesn't take very much or very long! Do a little bit at a time. Heat for a little bit and try the screw. If doesn't come off easy, a litttle more heat or a little longer and try again. Don't hold the heat on for 5 minutes and then try!

Screws will be hot, don't burn your hands or what you set the screw down on either, lol. ;)

Last edited:
I decided on these Italian things. I'm using them on 18 F. morning commutes and they work quite well against the cold. What I don't like is operating the turn signal and horn buttons. You can do it, but it's clumsy. Otherwise, they're awesome. You can get your hands in and out quite easily. Also, they're very easy to install. Also easy to steal if someone had a mind to. They come with an anti-theft system using a zip tie inside the mit, however I don't use that because then it would be a big hassle to take them on or off depending on the weather.
radiotinnitus-albums-my-beautiful-nc700x-picture1593-mit3.jpg

Back