• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Highway peg problem

bduffey

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
OK.... I bought the 1" clamps to attach a set of pegs to my Givi crashbar. Got everything installed, climbed on the bike, put my feet on the pegs.... and the clamp immediately rotated around the bars! Got off, tightened the bejeezus out of the bolt, got back on and.... still rotating. Took them off, put a piece of two sided tape on the bar, placed a strip of rubber on the tape, replaced the clamp and pegs.... same thing!

Now what??? I'm sure some of our techno-wizrds have come up with a solution to keep the clamp/s from turning. HELP!!!!!

The Givi engine guards are 7/8" bars. But after the fact does not help. I would first try rapping the entire bar with a thicker piece of rubber. If that did not work, and you can not return the foot pegs, the only choice is to drill a hole into the foot peg clamp, thread the hole, and put a threaded counter sink into the foot peg clamp. The reason I know this, I made the same mistake!

Stuff 009.jpg

Last edited:
What!!?? This is a quote from GIVI's own site..... "Made from one inch tubing and available in matte black these engine guards are a great addition for the serious motorcycle enthusiast." I may have to return the clamps now and get a different type. DAMN!!!

You might try taking some fine grit sandpaper, cut into appropriately wide strips, folded over on itself so the grit faces both into the bar AND into the clamp. This will act as both a bushing of sorts as well as provide better bite.
I've never tried this on hiway pegs but it has come in very handy in a couple of other situations where things just did NOT want to tighten up.
Won't hurt a thing to try and its dirt cheap to do.
Good luck!

You might try taking some fine grit sandpaper, cut into appropriately wide strips, folded over on itself so the grit faces both into the bar AND into the clamp. This will act as both a bushing of sorts as well as provide better bite.
I've never tried this on hiway pegs but it has come in very handy in a couple of other situations where things just did NOT want to tighten up.
Good luck!

It's a thought, but I wonder if the sandpaper will then wear away the powder coating on the bars and allow corrosion to start.

The GIVI bars actually have slightly different diameters depending on where you try to fit the pegs. I'm on the third location as my legs are fairly short. The first spot they held quite well, but were too high and forward for my short legs.
Second spot was okay but still not right for me. Finally on a spot lower and closer my legs felt "relaxed", but during the ride I tried to move around on the seat a bit, putting some weight on them with my foot caused the peg to slip down.
I pulled them off and put a strip of inner tube from a bicycle around the bars and cranked them back down, so far so good.
Mine are the Kuryakyn 7976 Offset Dually ISO-Peg with 1" Clamps .
Hope you can get them to fit where you need them.

Good luck!

I was thinking maybe a small strip of soft metal like aluminium. Or maybe thick metal screening like what's known as hardware cloth here in New England. The hardware cloth is usually galvanized.

The Givi engine guards are 7/8" bars. But after the fact does not help. I would first try rapping the entire bar with a thicker piece of rubber. If that did not work, and you can not return the foot pegs, the only choice is to drill a hole into the foot peg clamp, thread the hole, and put a threaded counter sink into the foot peg clamp. The reason I know this, I made the same mistake!

Those are nice looking pegs. Where did you get them?

why not file or grand the foot peg mounts so that it is slightly smaller than the tubing itself.
sure this is the easiest method.that is what I would do.

why not file or grand the foot peg mounts so that it is slightly smaller than the tubing itself.
sure this is the easiest method.that is what I would do.

If the mounts split in the middle like what is on OCR's picture, this is the best solution. Just be sure to grind both sides equally and do lots of test fits.

Back