• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

High heat vinyl wrap???

Nortwestrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I like how quite the stock muffler is but I hate the shinny chrome look.I was hoping to find some carbon fibre/black vinyl wrap to wrap it it,anybody know of any??.
I might consider painting it but would rather wrap it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like how quite the stock muffler is but I hate the shinny chrome look.I was hoping to find some carbon fibre/black vinyl wrap to wrap it it,anybody know of any??.
I might consider painting it but would rather wrap it.

Hmm, I'm in the same boat as you, and tried to find similar stuff.

The closest I could find off hand, was: "3M Scotchprint 1080M12 matte black" which lists this in the description- "End Use Temp: -65F to 225F (-60C to 107C)"

I don't think 225F would be enough.

Contemplating a real carbonfibre overlay, but at that point of cost and fuss, it would be much cheaper and easier to just paint or powdercoat the thing. :(

If I can remeber to do it ,I have a laser heat gun I can shoot the muffler with and find out how hot it gets!!.

I painted exhaust headers on an air cooled Suzuki once with excellent results (used rustoleum high temp BBQ paint flat black). It smoked the first time it got hot but can said that was the paint curing. Lasted 2 years til I sold the bike and still looked as good as the day I spayed it. Not sure the muffler would get hot enough to cure the paint. I would think powder coating would be the way to go (doubt the muffler gets to 400 F)

I finally checked with the laser gun and you were right,it couldn't get a reading from the shiny part.So I shot it behind the heat shield just before the muffler and it read 138 degrees!!.

You can gain a satin finish to bright stainless using steel wool or a pot scrubber. Try it on the underside of muff for a test see.

I have no problem with the shiny look, but after an hour riding, the exhaust is over 100 celsius. Water spills boiled at once after hitting the surface. So the vinyl wrap would melt on it...

Back