• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

hHow selfish/stupid can you get?

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
Whilst waiting for my eye screening yesterday I saw an elderly lady drive a Nissan Micra into the car park with its front left tyre coming off the rim. I thought that she had pulled in to get off the road but she drove into the car park turned round and started to head for the main road. As this involved driving over several speed humps it made the situation worse. she pulled up next to me and asked how far it was to the garage. I explained to her that it would not be a good idea to drive there as it would not only be dangerous but would ruin her wheel. she asked what she should do .I asked if she belonged a motoring organisation she said she did so I suggested that she called them out. Her reply was " I have to get home first he then started to drive towards the main road but was stopped by another group of people who also pointed out that going onto the main road was a bad idea. It was pointed out that she was not only breaking the law but was a danger to herself and others. At this point she became quite aggressive and said "You people can't tell me what to do". It was only when someone said that if she drove onto the road that they would call the police that she decided to park up. Obviously to her getting home was more important than the safety of others

Rocker,
Do you think there is a possibility that she may have been sick as opposed to selfish or stupid. From your description of her actions I can't help but wonder if she was suffering the onset of Alzheimer's or Dementia or possibly a mix up in taking medication.
Just wondering, since she first asked about a garage and then said she had to get home and apparently forgot she was a member of an auto club until you asked. Reading your description from a few thousand miles away, I got the impression that she may have been seriously confused or addled as opposed to selfish.

Bob

any way you slice and dice the situation, being sick or not, it's apparent that the driver is a danger to herself and to the public. If she is so sick that she must get home at all cost, even risking her life, she should not be on the road, driving a vehicle that she is not able to maintain in safe operating condition.

How selfish of me to ask an elderly driver to turn in her key so other drivers/riders, such as myself, can be safer.

any way you slice and dice the situation, being sick or not, it's apparent that the driver is a danger to herself and to the public. If she is so sick that she must get home at all cost, even risking her life, she should not be on the road, driving a vehicle that she is not able to maintain in safe operating condition.

How selfish of me to ask an elderly driver to turn in her key so other drivers/riders, such as myself, can be safer.

I completely agree that either selfish or sick, she should not be on the road. I was only trying to say that she might be sick as opposed to selfish or dumb. Sorry if I gave you the wrong impression.

Bob

/Aside

Have any of you guys seen the "driving in Russia" compilation videos on YouTube?

OMFG :eek:

I just saw one where it semed every third vehicle on the road had a wheel fly off, and mow down everything in it's path @ 60 mph.

Breathtaking...

Did anyone offer to put her spare tire on for her? Fifteen minutes of someones time could have sure made her day. On the other hand, I'm not familiar with that model Nissan so maybe they don't come with a spare tire.

WGW

When asked if she had a spare she said that she didn't want anyone touching the car. She really didn't seem to see any reason why she shouldn't drive off. At first we all wanted to help her but her whole attitute changed peoples minds and they just wanted to prevent her hurting herself or anyone else

Boils down to, you can't help those that do not want to help themselves. At least it appears nobody was hurt with this one...

Back