• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hero's 2WD diesel-electric

I'm a diesel fan and would like to see more bike with a diesel in it. I bet this bike will do well in India.

That IS thinking out of the box.

Diesel for motorcycles has some inherent problems that affect handling for the kind of riding we usually do:
High compression rate that produces too great engine brake, high rotating inertia (big engine gyroscope effect), low rate of engine rpm change response to throttle input due to high rotating inertia,narrow torque curve, low rpm range (a bit more than half the NC's), low horsepower when normally aspired, good horsepower but abrupt not granular response depending on load/throttle when turbo charged messing balance/traction control and of course quite a bit more weight.

The Hero's approach to make a low cc low center of gravity scooter tackles most of these problems that when combined make the diesel engine not a very elegant solution for a motorcycle except for mpg/durability that is top priority for very special use (army).
From what I know the only interesting diesel bike is the KLR derivative but performance takes a good hit in view of mpg/durability requirements which is not what the general public is after so no big manufacturer is willing to bet on such bikes.

I've always wished Jeep would have put a diesel in the Wrangler but I've never though of one being place in a bike. Who'd have thought you'd be a diesel fan turbodiesel4i6. It never crossed my mind. ;)

Diesel for motorcycles has some inherent problems that affect handling for the kind of riding we usually do:
High compression rate that produces too great engine brake, high rotating inertia (big engine gyroscope effect), low rate of engine rpm change response to throttle input due to high rotating inertia,narrow torque curve, low rpm range (a bit more than half the NC's), low horsepower when normally aspired, good horsepower but abrupt not granular response depending on load/throttle when turbo charged messing balance/traction control and of course quite a bit more weight.

The Hero's approach to make a low cc low center of gravity scooter tackles most of these problems that when combined make the diesel engine not a very elegant solution for a motorcycle except for mpg/durability that is top priority for very special use (army).
From what I know the only interesting diesel bike is the KLR derivative but performance takes a good hit in view of mpg/durability requirements which is not what the general public is after so no big manufacturer is willing to bet on such bikes.
Problems such as power curves and engine braking are negated by it being a diesel powering a generator allowing constant speed and torque to generator with electric motors driving wheels and probably regenerative braking.

But I'm not the general public. It's not that I don't enjoy a high reviving ride like a Honda RRRRR once in a while. I've said it before. If HDT would have got their diesel KLR out when they said they would, I would be riding that instead of the NCX.
The only problem with that is the Military gets all they want, first. I'll take a 100 mpg over 100 mph any day of the week.

I've always wished Jeep would have put a diesel in the Wrangler but I've never though of one being place in a bike. Who'd have thought you'd be a diesel fan turbodiesel4i6. It never crossed my mind. ;)
Not factory, but I would like this one.
Jeep Wrangler Diesel Conversion

Problems such as power curves and engine braking are negated by it being a diesel powering a generator allowing constant speed and torque to generator with electric motors driving wheels and probably regenerative braking.

Constant engine speed would make things much easier but the specs here talk about a 6-speed transmission to the rear wheel as usual besides the aforementioned front wheel electric motor option.

A big problem for Hero would certainly be the much higher metallurgy demands of a diesel engine (let alone a turbocharged one!) that may make production cost prohibitive. With the high pulse stresses on a diesel engine and driveline you cannot get away with cheap materials and loose tolerances.
The bike may be a "know-how" show off and never be brought to the public if it costs 3 years of wages instead of one around there.

Gizmag didn't give specs and maybe I made incorrect assumption based on the front electric wheel and the "generator that can be used as a power source".

6 speed seems a lot for a 40 mph max speed.

6 speed seems a lot for a 40 mph max speed.

Not if you got extra 150 kilograms hooked up around you while there are hills in the middle and you have a sub 3k rpm torque band to go along.
My father's early 80's 3-ton 2.2lt non-turbo diesel mini-lorry really suffered from having just 4-speed transmission - over the slightest uphill, even unloaded, he had to continually over-rev in 3rd at 70kph because 4th was an overdrive to provide for adequate low rpm 100kph cruising over flat terrain, loaded or not (enough torque for that).

Back