• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

help cannot open seat to gas bike at station now

Just wanted to add that this seems like a failure on Honda's part. I know I put the spare Frunk opener up as a fix, but truth is that Honda should have done something like Givi where you can't lock the trunk without having the key in the slot (or in the ignition to push a button as mentioned above). Sorry you had this issue...

uh...no. It's not Honda's fault you lock the keys in the frunk. People lock keys in their car everyday...it's not the manufacturers fault. Shit happens...own it.

I fail to find this post trustworthy. When I open the trunk or back seat the
key sits in the lock. No need to remove it. I have even accidentally left it in
the lock while parked.

When the key does come out it goes directly into my pocket. How one would
lock the keys inside the trunk is beyond me.

Even with a routine, I think we all could be distracted at some point to accidentally do something we would not ordinarily do. Once in a parking lot I forgot to fully snap the frunk lid down before I walked away. A gentleman in a pickup that was parked nearby called to me and pointed out my error. I was lucky that day.

What I don't understand from your post newride is why you did not call the AMA for their locksmith service since you said you were a member. Maybe the locksmith could have picked the lock instead of breaking it.

+2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Plus a belt and suspenders approach a hidden full function key hidden on the bike someplace...............or like others said wallet or inside jacket pocket sorta works too

This^+3

I have hidden a spare key on every bike I have owned. Heavy duty adhesive backed velcro, small flat sealed container or just protect the key shaft from rust with heat shrink tube and find a hidden spot to attach.

I always have a key in my wallet. I also have a key at home. Plus the regular key that I use on the bike is RED so it is easily seen.
You can see I am worried that I will lock myself out. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sounds like someone could come up with a custom frunk cable release. Put the emergency release in a hidden location that is awkward to get at but doable and if you screw up you can still open the frunk.
Or you could find a place for a hide-a-key. I think someone makes a little combination lock compartment that fits where your license plate is.
Just don't forget the combination.
I bought a word lock (uses letters rather than numbers).
I set the word and forgot it. The lock sat in a drawer for a couple years until I decided to try to crack it. It took me a half hour to guess the right word.

uh...no. It's not Honda's fault you lock the keys in the frunk. People lock keys in their car everyday...it's not the manufacturers fault. Shit happens...own it.

So modern cars don't keep the locks from engaging when the key is in the ignition? They don't beep a warning to keep you from locking the keys in the car? I'm sure even with other safeguards, someone could lock their keys in the frunk, but I think Givi did a good job by requiring that the key be engaged in order to lock the luggage. It wouldn't be that difficult to do the same with the frunk/rear seat release. You probably hate ABS and traction controll (you wrecked, own it...eye roll)...

So modern cars don't keep the locks from engaging when the key is in the ignition? They don't beep a warning to keep you from locking the keys in the car? I'm sure even with other safeguards, someone could lock their keys in the frunk, but I think Givi did a good job by requiring that the key be engaged in order to lock the luggage. It wouldn't be that difficult to do the same with the frunk/rear seat release. You probably hate ABS and traction controll (you wrecked, own it...eye roll)...

I see your point, but really this is easily avoided with a dedicated key (that doesn't allow ignition) or hidden key.

I see your point, but really this is easily avoided with a dedicated key (that doesn't allow ignition) or hidden key.

This is what I did after locking my key in the frunk. Luckily for me I was not far from the wife which brought me my spare. I now carry a key in my wallet.

How much does a duplicate key cost?
In Honda?
With a key master?
:p

Just curious.

$3 or $4 US dollars..........We do NOT have "chipped keys". That would be at locksmith or a hardware store.

Maybe more at dealer for a Honda blank.......with the Honda logo.........

$3 or $4 US dollars..........We do NOT have "chipped keys". That would be at locksmith or a hardware store.

This is a global forum. Many of us DO have chipped keys.

When I was getting my spare trunk key made, I had to beg, plead, and generally swear on the good book to the little dude in the local Mall locksmith kiosk that my bike key wasn't a chip kind, lol.

"That Honda key" "is chip key, will not work! veeeeeery expensive!"

*worldly knowing smile to poor dumb schlep wanting spare key to replace $$$$ OEM key*

It was one of the most grudging key duplications I've ever had to wheedle for lol. :D

"No refund!!!"

When I was getting my spare trunk key made, I had to beg, plead, and generally swear on the good book to the little dude in the local Mall locksmith kiosk that my bike key wasn't a chip kind, lol.

"That Honda key" "is chip key, will not work! veeeeeery expensive!"

*worldly knowing smile to poor dumb schlep wanting spare key to replace $$$$ OEM key*

It was one of the most grudging key duplications I've ever had to wheedle for lol. :D

"No refund!!!"

I think the Frunk does not need a chipped key.

I keep the key with number at home.i use the one without.and have a spare frunk key in pocket.but key stays in lock until closed

sent from my nc700x

I think the Frunk does not need a chipped key.

Quite so, but what I was kidding about, was that us poor sods in North America do not get HISS and chipped keys period, (on NC700's) so it was funny to argue with the Locksmith about getting a spare trunk key, which wouldn't need to be chipped anywhere in the world.:D

Back