• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmet disorienting

Dannodog

Reaction score
dannodog.blogspot.com
So I started with a Scorpion half-helmet and that made the wind noise unbearable, so I went out today and bought a Fulmer full face helmet. I went out for a quick ride to try it out and I find it very disorienting...has anyone else had this problem? Or is it a matter of getting used to it?

Not sure what you mean by "disorienting". I never had a problem, but my wife with claustrophobia can barely stand a full face helmet. However, it is easier to get used to a full-face helmet than to crash in a half-helmet and get used to living with the remaining half of your face. Seriously, try really hard. If the Fulmer doesn't do it for you, shop some different brands.

Are you using ear plugs? If not, you should ALWAYS use them. As far as your helmet issue, you'll need to define what you mean by disorienting. Are you getting the right size helmet? Not all helmets work for all head shapes. I use a Scorpion EXO 700 for my "sport" helmet, an HJC CL-33 3/4 helmet for my Victory and a Fulmer half helmet for my Scooter. I had to try on several brands of each style helmet to find the right fit.

Its hard to describe...I come to a stop and it feels like i'm constantly falling over...and i feel like i stopped and put my foot down but still moving. The other thing is taking off from a stop, i over rev it and have a hard time with the friction zone... like i said, its hard to describe. I guess i kind of feel like i'm underwater or something....

100% in favour of ear plugs. Having ridden for many years without them I know what problems not doing so can cause.
I'm also of the opinion that you may have the wrong size helmet. I hope that this is the case because it means the the solution to the problem is easy

I agree with the users here who suggest that you should check your helmet size. Use a tapemeasure first, try to locate the correct sizing for your helmet model. Another reason could be your head-shape. Some helmets (eg:Arai) are meant for olive-shaped heads while others (Shoei) are more for rounded-heads.
You got to try them out (some shops even give you one to test for 1 day).

Another thing could be claustrophobia. Did you ever get this before?
Another could be the optics on the shield. For example, I can never use my Polaroid sunglasses in my Shoei Multitec, because the optics somehow causes optical polarisation which causes mirages (so no go for me).

If full face does not work, then try a good half-helmet. Shoei and Arai also have some very good ones.

Regarding the ear plugs, I am not sure this will help your helmet situation. I think it might worsen it because you are muting another one of your sensory functions.

However wearing ear plugs do save your hearing in long run.

The Arai for oval heads and Shoei for round heads is no longer 100% true. For years I only wore Arai as they were the best fitting (for me) of the top range lids. However talking to a Shoei rep one day he persuaded me to try one of the then latest Shoeis for a couple of days. To my great suprise it fitted perfectly and was really comfortable
You are quite correct when you say that you should try a helmet before buying including if you can having a sit on your own bike as one that is comfortable on a NC might not be on a sports bike & vice versa. This is one reason why I would NEVER buy a helmet mail order

Maybe you should seek help from your MD, the inner ear is in part responsible for balance, I believe that there is fluid inside it which helps us orientate our way around the world we live in..

Maybe you should seek help from your MD, the inner ear is in part responsible for balance, I believe that there is fluid inside it which helps us orientate our way around the world we live in..

I have had this "problem" for more than 3 years now. Vertigo.
There is some anti-vertigo procedures (to clear the fluids which may be stuck in your inner ear canals).
There is also some medication but they may cause more disorientation. I tried those too, done that.

Take care. It is no fun having this problem I tell you.

Trying a helmet for the day, you euro guys crack me up! We don't even get to test ride our bikes! why would you think a dealer would let you stick your stinky head in one of his helmets?

That explains a lot about you Joe!:cool:

Never ever ride without ear plugs! You will thank yourself in a decade or so!
Next step is to get a proper helmet. Avoid the cheap stuff, go to a good vendor and try different well known brands (pay them what it cost, no whining! :) and you will most likely end up in a good shape.

Trying a helmet for the day, you euro guys crack me up! We don't even get to test ride our bikes! why would you think a dealer would let you stick your stinky head in one of his helmets?

That explains a lot about you Joe!:cool:

Sad that you do not get this sort of service there. Over here, we can try anything out for free. Once i took a BMW M3 out for a day...burnt 1 tank and 300km. Went back and said I did not like the color....they apologised.
:p

Yes, it is true you can try on helmets (Home - polo-motorrad). Maybe not a full day, just a ride around the neighbourhood. And of course they insist on a bavaclava (ninja thing) over your stinky heads.
I don't have a stinky head, btw.
:p

Test ride bikes? They can give it to you over 1 weekend. No kidding.

We don't get to test helmets on the road but I would never buy a bike for a test ride. We also get loan bikes whilst ours are being serviced. This can be just for a few hours overnight or even for a weekend. When my NC did not arrive on the promised day I was loaned the demo until the dealer could drive up to Honda UK and collect my bike himself

Back