• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hello from Iowa: Is this bike for me?

iaRider

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello Everyone!

I've been riding 2 wheeled vehicles for the past 3 years. The first was a 2010 Honda Elite (A blast to ride around town and campgrounds). The second I've ridden for the past year, was an actual Blast, a Buell Blast that is. I'm looking to move up to a smoother, lower maintenance motorcycle with more of the convenience of the scooter. I had been looking into getting a new CB-500 but the dream was always a NC-700x. Now there's a 2012 manual NC-700x with 27 miles (Nope, I'm not missing any significant digits) for sale in my area for $4500. Is this my dream come true, or am I missing something here?

I'd check that local bike out real quick. I don't think you'd be disappointed in the least.

And don't be afraid to make a lower offer either. All they can do is say "No".

Good Luck and let us all know how it goes.

Jim

Go for it - after you take it to the dealer for quick check . if the seller won't allow that , I would assume there's something wrong with it.
I got mine for $4200 with 2,500 miles on it. As far as it know, that was an excellent deal.

Good luck with the purchase, and make sure to get it checked out, no matter what. Like they said above, if they wont consent to have it checked out, be very wary.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll definitely get the bike checked out, but I'm cautiously hopeful at the moment. Question about the trunk compartment, I have an enormous head and require an XXL HJC helmet, but the helmet compartment is only rated for XL. Anyone have a feel for if it will fit or not? If not, are there helmet lock options for this bike?

Is this bike for you? If you're the kind of guy who wants an awesome bike backed by the best community of enthusiasts on the interwebs then yes it's for you.
If you're lame and uncool then no, go get a moped.
Bazinga.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll definitely get the bike checked out, but I'm cautiously hopeful at the moment. Question about the trunk compartment, I have an enormous head and require an XXL HJC helmet, but the helmet compartment is only rated for XL. Anyone have a feel for if it will fit or not? If not, are there helmet lock options for this bike?

A helmet can be a tight fit in the frunk at the best of times. When ever I have put a helmet in there I have had to take something out or rearrange things to get it to fit. There is plenty of space in there but helmets can be tight.

We have a "helmet will it fit" thread: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/1259-does-fit-helmet-addition.html

XXL is doubtful but yes the bike comes with a helmet lock cable that hooks on by unlocking and lifting the passenger seat.

Did you get it? -Jim

Hello Everyone!

I've been riding 2 wheeled vehicles for the past 3 years. The first was a 2010 Honda Elite (A blast to ride around town and campgrounds). The second I've ridden for the past year, was an actual Blast, a Buell Blast that is. I'm looking to move up to a smoother, lower maintenance motorcycle with more of the convenience of the scooter. I had been looking into getting a new CB-500 but the dream was always a NC-700x. Now there's a 2012 manual NC-700x with 27 miles (Nope, I'm not missing any significant digits) for sale in my area for $4500. Is this my dream come true, or am I missing something here?

I think the HJC's (depending on which one) all use the same shell size, so you might be OK (I have an HJC FG17).

I don't think you'd dislike the bike at all though, I wanted pretty much the same as you (actually, what I wanted was a two wheeled car I think that I could still filter with). A friend of mine described it as the motorcycle equivalent of a Honda CRV, which is actually quite accurate!

The good:
Went to see it tonight and fell in love with its sweet running motor. I got to ride it and it was, for lack of a better word, delightful. I don't think I'd be able to go back to riding my blast after that experience. It just did exactly what I expected and wanted it to do without having ever ridden one before. Waiting to hear back from the seller if it still has warranty left and if it is transferable.

The bad:
The bike was dropped on it's left side. Minor scratch on mirror plastic and scuffs on the handlebar end cap. The guy said that it happened at the dealer when it was in for a service but that he didn't make them fix it. When asked why it was in for a service with under 30 miles on the bike, he said that the bike died several times on the first ride he took after getting it home. The tech said that it was because the battery cables weren't properly attached by the dealer. The bike was also apparently dusty on the frunk and around the gas cap when he took it home initially. Additionally, there's still a lien on the bike but the guy said he'd pay it off and get me the title within 2 days.

Do any of these sound like reasons to not get the bike?

EDIT: Shoot...forgot to check if my helmet fit. When I go back I'll have to check that.

Last edited:
Having a warranty will give you piece of mind, so I hope that there is one for you. None of those reasons listed are of themselves a reason to not get the bike ... unless YOU are not comfortable with any of them. Did you feel the owner was being honest with you? You just need to go with your gut instinct on this one. It sounds like it could still be a good deal. -Jim

Where are you at in Iowa? I'm in Omaha. I just bought my NC700X last summer. It came with knobby tires, I've been looking for someone who wants to trade their street tires for these knobbies. Or maybe I'd just give them away. Would hate to see them in the trash but I'm going to switch to street tires before my next trip this year.

Hello Everyone!

That seems like a great deal! The NC is a great bike - the most forgiving I have ridden, but has some personality, too. Handles well, nice looking ( I think) - and with the torque curve, adequate power (I'm 300 pounds) - any more and I might revert back to my Ninja days and get in to trouble. Good luck!

Having dealt with legal issues on vehicles before, I would make sure that is properly taken care of. Nothing else you mentioned would deter me from this deal.
Hope to see a pic soon!

The guy was nice and seems honest and upstanding. I don't anticipate any legal issues but I'll make sure to have a bill of sale in hand before I give him the money. I'm just dumbfounded that he could buy such a great bike last spring and only ride 27 miles in an entire season. My only real concern is that the issue he had with the battery was actually an electrical system issue. The dealer might have just shrugged off for fear of having to deal with a lemon. Is this even a possibility? Anyone with horror stories?

EDIT: There's 6" of snow and ice headed our way but I'll definitely get pics when I get everything figured out and am able bring it home.

Last edited:
Where are you at in Iowa? I'm in Omaha. I just bought my NC700X last summer. It came with knobby tires, I've been looking for someone who wants to trade their street tires for these knobbies. Or maybe I'd just give them away. Would hate to see them in the trash but I'm going to switch to street tires before my next trip this year.

Were they using it as a dirt bike? It's my understanding that it's only recommended for short trips onto the dirt. I'll PM you if I am able to get the bike. Fingers crossed!

Were they using it as a dirt bike? It's my understanding that it's only recommended for short trips onto the dirt. I'll PM you if I am able to get the bike. Fingers crossed!

The dealer put them on to give the bike a certain look. :confused: They actually ride pretty nice for a part dirt/part street tire, but I do a lot of trips and it's not the right kind of tire for me.

nc700x_grass.jpg

Back