• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hella loud horn upgrade.

JDE

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Pun intended. Hehe.

Finally got around to upgrading the wimpy stock, sorry excuse for a horn. Bought a dual Hella horn that many Subaru drivers would be familiar with. It came with bright red frame. I took it apart and painted it flat black, then put it back together. Having the SW-MOTECH skid plate made the install fairly easy.

First I removed the stock horn, used it's wires for the activation of the new horns relay. Then removed the horn mounting plate that came with the skid plate and mounted one horn in it's place then mounted the other on the left side using an empty hole on the frame due to the skid plate install. Then ran the wires.

So far the test in the garage proves that it's VERY LOUD! In the garage at least. Should be much better than the stock horn. Here's some pictures.

59c72c6bf16dc250fc2fff75f62fd0db.jpg

750ef914f8949d000422dfc35ec97584.jpg

d7fed129c6a86e70da808403a01a94ae.jpg

Nice.
Is each horn a different freq?
Is the relay just to split the power?
Yes, I think each horn is a different frequency.

The relay is there due to the higher current draw of the two horns above the stock horns current. If I didn't use the relay, as I understand I could possibly blow a fuse or burn up the horn switch and wiring.

Your horn relay appears to be in a location vulnerable to water spray so maybe you should move it to a more protected location?

Last edited:
Your horn relay appears to be in a location vulnerable to water spray so maybe you should use it to a more protected locations?
Yeah, now that you mention it and I've had more time to think about it. I probably will move it. I don't ride in the rain much, but I could imagine it getting wet and the horn just blasting utility it's dry.

[You used the original horn wiring to the relay only. The relay is wired on a different circuit wired separately.]

Yes, the usual drill is to use the wimpy horn wire as the "trigger wire" to the relay. Much larger wires (12 or 14 ga)
run current from the battery to the horn.

[You used the original horn wiring to the relay only. The relay is wired on a different circuit wired separately.]

Yes, the usual drill is to use the wimpy horn wire as the "trigger wire" to the relay. Much larger wires (12 or 14 ga)
run current from the battery to the horn.
Yup, might have been overkill, but I used 12.

I put in a loud horn also. But found it did not matter, as I can never find the horn button at the Honda NC7 different than normal thumb location.

[...might have been overkill, but I used 12...]

I believe 12 gauge is rated at 30 amps max so Yup, you went a little bit over the top. You'll have to tape some lead bars to the opposite side to compensate for the weight of the wires! :)

[...might have been overkill, but I used 12...]

I believe 12 gauge is rated at 30 amps max so Yup, you went a little bit over the top. You'll have to tape some lead bars to the opposite side to compensate for the weight of the wires! :)
LOL, thankfully having two horns now. One on each side, I'm evenly distributing the weight of the wiring and the horns. Should be ok. [emoji1] [emoji6]

Yep, stock fitment is a toy hooter - why ?
Italian Fiamm brand 'snail' twin klaxons have always served me well fitted to mylast five Beemers in attracting the attention of Dolores in her Daewoo, tooling along doing her hair and texting. You can see her jump out of her seat and drop her phone...very satisfying. Especially when you then pass her with a broad smile and a nod.
AL in s.e. Spain

Italian Fiamm brand 'snail' twin klaxons have always served me well fitted to mylast five Beemers in attracting the attention of Dolores in her Daewoo, tooling along doing her hair and texting. You can see her jump out of her seat and drop her phone...very satisfying. Especially when you then pass her with a broad smile and a nod.
AL in s.e. Spain

Welcome to the forum from Texas!

AL in s.e. Spain

FIAMM - Snail horn
So many choices.
I can't pick one.

Back