• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Heated Clothing

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are going to be riding for long periods of time in cold weather or ride in REALLY cold weather, then you need to invest in heated clothing. In these situations, the body needs an alternative source of heat to keep itself warm - and heated clothing is the only way to go. I personally like the liner type heated clothing that is waterproof. It fits firmly to the skin, and is worn under your normal motorcycle clothing. Thermostat controls for the heated clothing are real nice also. My one grip about heated clothing is plugging in the many garment plugs. Always, one of them is not properly connected. We need a Mr. Telsa to get rid of all the wires (garment to garment plug ins) in motorcycle electric cloths.5.jpg

smileycold.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I only have the heated jacket liner and gloves. (both Gerbings) I haven't had any issues with the gloves not properly connected. Once a year I do dip the connectors in ACF-50 that may be why I haven't had any problems.

Last edited:
I've gone the wireless route. Mine has batteries but that has its disadvantages. You have to really track how long you’ve had it on. The level you set the gear will determine battery life. A setting of high will typically give you 2.5 hours. It's working for me because I only commute 30 minutes one way. It would not work for longer trips.

I may graduate to cable powered gear next year. I imagine it gets warmer too.

I finally started using my heated liner and gloves yesterday since my hour long morning commute is around 40F now. The wires are a pain, and it will probably be a few more outings before I remember to unplug the liner from the bike power BEFORE I get off of the bike. Glad they use a simple connector that unplugs easily.

Agree with OCR. Buying heated gear brought a whole new level of comfort to my riding. Would have never been able to make it across the country last January without my heated jacket liner and gloves. I wear the gloves more-so than the liner as my fingers are really about the only things that get real cold in temps between 45F-30F.

On my return trip in May I foolishly left the heated gear behind in CA and had my daughter ship it home to me. All was well until crossing the rocky mountains and watching my bike thermometer go from 55F to 31F although the snowstorm I hit through Vail and the Eisenhower pass in Colorado would have been a pretty clear indication that it was cold even without the help of the bike thermometer. I was definitely second guessing my decision at that point. Now I always keep them stowed on the bike even around here in the Spring and Fall just in case. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. :rolleyes:

Yes:eek: I'll fix that thanks!

But it is now forever memorialized in the quote box. I used to keep track of the "senior" moments when I did stuff like that. Now it's easier for me to keep track of the times when I don't do things like that because there seems to be less than when I do.

But it is now forever memorialized in the quote box. I used to keep track of the "senior" moments when I did stuff like that. Now it's easier for me to keep track of the times when I don't do things like that because there seems to be less than when I do.

He was thinking of the new GPS he wanted for Christmas.

Just a quick note the synergy 2.0 has been fantastic for me. When it is 42+ I do not even need to turn on the heat and Im a wuss about being warm. When it was 32 - 36 I had it on 2/5 notches and was really warm. The dual controller that comes free is also a nice feature. I got mine fro RevZilla for 219.00 and added the thin Gerbling gloves. Nice benefit I ended up with two battery connectors and since interchangeable I have heat available on both my GoldWing and the NC700X as the gloves work on the second connection in the synergy 2.0 sleeves.

What a coincidence,I was just reading webike world and saw this review on heated clothing ,made by Tourmaster,Tour Master :: Heated Apparel Looks ok,,,

Same one I believe. I have a battery operated heated vest and at 100% (good for 5 hours with 9.0 pack) it works ok on the GoldWing but really short on the 700X. The Synergy 2.0 is great on the 700X and maybe overkill on the GoldWing > 30 degrees (about as cold as it gets here). On some cold nights sitting around neighbors garage , mostly HD riders, the liner is great just by it self, while they are shivering in their HD Leather Jackets. I'm so impressed by it I'm looking into buying a TourMaster Suit (Jacket/Pants) the first of the year, as my FirstGear Kilimanjaro Jacket is about worn out. I'm sure the Gerblings liners are as good and quality made but the inclusion of the dual controller was too good a deal and the liner itself is more than I expected.

A battery operated vest is probably the best way to go. However, if you can avoid it... I would recommend just not doing it. It's heavy and while you are warm... I feel it's a significant investment when you can throw on a really good jacket and sweater to be done with it.

Heated gear is on my wish list (well technically the wishlist I started on amazon doesn't have it on there, it will be once the other more important items find their way off of the wish list and on to the NC)

But everyone seems to be talking about temps near freezing (I assume we are using Fahrenheit because if you need heated gear near 30C this conversation needs to take a different turn)
And lots of the location tags on this thread indicate warm areas (Everything might be bigger in Texas... except I have a hard time believing people who tell me your winter storms are bigger (yes people have told me this.))

My current gear is good down to around freezing (sure I look like the michelin tire guy on a motorcycle) except for my gloves (and even then it's mostly just around my thumb at high speeds and hand guards to block the wind seem like a cheap solution for that) and maybe helmet leaks too much cold air (and I've not seen a heated helmet... and if any of you go out and invent one after reading this please include heated wire in the visor to keep it from fogging up or maybe a defrost fan.) and a better windscreen might help there.

So is the difference just being comfortable vs. being really comfortable? or just not looking/feeling like the michelin man?
Does heated gear actually keep up at 0F? or -10F?
Or is it just that my definition of cold is so far removed from the norm? (because it's pretty standard up here that cold is when you are standing around on the patio at the bar and your beer freezes over... and even then it might just be that you need to switch up to some stronger beer, or to make a cup holder in the snow so your beer can be kept some place warm (yes snow is warm, it's a great insulator))

Heated gear is on my wish list (well technically the wishlist I started on amazon doesn't have it on there, it will be once the other more important items find their way off of the wish list and on to the NC)

But everyone seems to be talking about temps near freezing (I assume we are using Fahrenheit because if you need heated gear near 30C this conversation needs to take a different turn)
And lots of the location tags on this thread indicate warm areas (Everything might be bigger in Texas... except I have a hard time believing people who tell me your winter storms are bigger (yes people have told me this.))

My current gear is good down to around freezing (sure I look like the michelin tire guy on a motorcycle) except for my gloves (and even then it's mostly just around my thumb at high speeds and hand guards to block the wind seem like a cheap solution for that) and maybe helmet leaks too much cold air (and I've not seen a heated helmet... and if any of you go out and invent one after reading this please include heated wire in the visor to keep it from fogging up or maybe a defrost fan.) and a better windscreen might help there.

So is the difference just being comfortable vs. being really comfortable? or just not looking/feeling like the michelin man?
Does heated gear actually keep up at 0F? or -10F?
Or is it just that my definition of cold is so far removed from the norm? (because it's pretty standard up here that cold is when you are standing around on the patio at the bar and your beer freezes over... and even then it might just be that you need to switch up to some stronger beer, or to make a cup holder in the snow so your beer can be kept some place warm (yes snow is warm, it's a great insulator))

I think it is a combination of things. Obviously depending on where one lives, their definition and tolerance to cold will be different. I have been in Florida and Las Vegas when it was 55F and local people were wearing gloves, winter coats and hats like we wear in PA when it's 35F or less. Also while not the norm, there are definitely areas of Texas where it gets as cold as more northern states. Have ridden in snow and 19F degree weather outside of Amarillo, 20F in New Mexico and avoided Flagstaff AZ when they were predicting -6F temps. My experience is that heating gear (Gerbings in my case) can keep up with the cold at 70MPH at temps in the high teens low 20'sF but this is not to say they are toasty, they just keep you from freezing and becoming hypothermic. However in the higher areas of cold temps (25F and above) they work great and one can modulate the temps with the heat-trollers to a comfortable level where it removes any need to tense up from the cold.

I think that's the overall idea or goal, to be comfortable enough that you are not "distracted" by the cold so that you can keep all your abilities focused on riding and also so that your reactions and reflexes are not compromised in anyway. I rode for years without heated gear out of stubbornness and refusal to believe it would be that much of help as compared to layering. After finally buying gloves first as I was tired of cold fingers and then a heated liner my position became more of "why did I wait so long for this?". Heated gear makes a world of difference IMO.

Last edited:
Warm and Safe makes the Tourmaster heated apparel. The heated clothing made by all the brands are very good now days. It would be harder to find a bad piece of heated apparel than to find all the good ones. I recommend all the brands. And, you can get plug adaptors for all the brands to hook the various brands together.6.jpg

SmileyBigEyeGlasses.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I have warm&safe been using it for years works great. Electric clothing is great for fall winter and spring no need to be uncomfortable at any time. Plus you don't have to layer up.

"I have warm & safe been using it for years works great".
I have Warm and Safe, also. Like you, I have had no problems after a long time of miles and miles.7.jpg

biggrin.gif

00.jpg

Last edited:
Back