• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GPS Tracking Devices

JoeZ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My cross country ride is slowly approaching and I'm basically geared and ready to go. My last item of purchase is now a GPS Tracker. I've done my research and understand what they offer and what the prices are, but wanted to get some real understanding of it's use by experienced tour riders.
Is it really necessary to have it if I'm sticking to the freeways and never going off road. Since I'm riding through middle America and back, are there enough dead spots where I won't have cellular reception? Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Is it really necessary to have it if I'm sticking to the freeways and never going off road.

Not at all...The main purpose of GPS tracking devices is to well, track you. Every.Two. Miles.

Not sure why that would be considered necessary on an interstate tour of middle America. Sailing single-handed to New Zealand? For sure get a tracker or better yet a PLB

Last edited:
I'd check your cell carriers service map over your route - zooming in as much as possible to see what the real coverage looks like. If you do actually have cell service then I'm not sure a tracker would be worth the price. If you use an iPhone, turn the Find My Friends app on and share it with a couple people (spouse, trusted/reliable friend).

I use a Spot Gen 3 and have the annual plan because when I go up to the blue ridge and thereabouts (which is fairly often) there's no cell coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive never run into any "dead spots" on my GPS and I've been all over the states, Canada, Alaska, etc.

Please be precise... It's very easy to get confused with tech things...

As long as you've clear sky view a GPS receiver will be ok (it may have problem in the cities with tall buildings or metallic materials...). It will be able to receive the satellites signal and calculate your position.

The problem is the coverage of the GSM, the mobile phone network. You have your position but you can't send it to anyone.

A tracker like the one mentioned above by Greg doesn't have this problem because it doesn't use the GSM network but it communicates directly with the communications satellites to send a S.O.S. or inform some people about your location...

What are you trying to achieve? What do you need?

Sorry - you're exactly correct. If you have a cell phone it has GPS whether you have cell service or not. However that would only give you navigation. I don't think that simple GPS provides tracking to anyone wanting to follow you (there may be apps I'm not aware of).

For assistance (one way or two way communication) you need satellite ( like the Spot,
DeLorme, etc).

Last edited:
I watched the eclipse with a friend that 7 years ago crashed on a mountain road in Arkansas. We had no cell coverage at the scene but he did have a Spot. He remained conscious but badly injured. We pushed SOS on his Spot and within 30 minutes was getting medical care and flying at 150 knots to the nearest trauma center about 100 miles away. His Spot emergency contacts including his wife knew what was going on as soon as Spot called them which was almost immediately. The ride down the mountain to cell coverage was about 20 minutes. If he had been alone or the last rider in the group the time before help would have been much longer.

I got a Spot tracker soon after that. With it I do not need to know if I am in cell coverage or not or have to choose a route based on coverage plus the ability to choose and edit Spot contacts.

Please be precise... It's very easy to get confused with tech things...

As long as you've clear sky view a GPS receiver will be ok (it may have problem in the cities with tall buildings or metallic materials...). It will be able to receive the satellites signal and calculate your position.

The problem is the coverage of the GSM, the mobile phone network. You have your position but you can't send it to anyone.

A tracker like the one mentioned above by Greg doesn't have this problem because it doesn't use the GSM network but it communicates directly with the communications satellites to send a S.O.S. or inform some people about your location...

What are you trying to achieve? What do you need?

GregC has it right.... I checked ATT coverage map and it has 99.9% coverage of where I'll be riding .... So I installed the iPhone app he mentioned and it'll do the job. Basically just want family to know where I am when they need or I need them to know.

Not sure if it's the same on iPhone or not but Google maps has a share my location via text link and you can set the duration they can fallow your location
b4a6ed9f28a04f2ad33c4ea1526e47af.jpg
688d48298f7b05d996970189191eb66c.jpg
dbc7d6044124b42f2fa7a54ca4b43445.jpg

I like the family to be able to see where I am (for their peace of mind).

I like being able to get help, regardless of signal (for my peace of mind).

I don't really know how Google notifications work but Spot allows unlimited tracking views of your Spot page if you make the view public. If you want just certain people then make the view private with a password.

I like the family to be able to see where I am (for their peace of mind).

I like being able to get help, regardless of signal (for my peace of mind).
In that case you need a personal tracker like SPOT.

I found that article very informative: PLBs and Satellite Messengers: How to Choose - REI Expert Advice

You may also use a combination of both, a tracker and your iPhone with an app like "Find My Friends" if you find the second more friendly for your family (and maybe save some $$).

Last edited:
I think the issue is getting help. GPS tracking is great and sharing your location is great. But location sharing doesn't tell anyone you're in trouble and need help (versus just stopping to smell the flowers [emoji57]). If you have cell service you can call/text for help to the persons who track you.

Without cell service you need something like the Spot to call help. The other "peace of mind" issue is that if I'm truly fubar'd with one button push the Spot contacts GEOS with my coordinates for serious help (in case spouse, family, and /or friends aren't around their phones when I call/text for help - or the wife is busy getting the life insurance policy out of the safe [emoji15]).

I wonder what's the size of those devices. Can you have it in your jacket's pocket?

It will be good to be near you to reach it when you're injured and can't move, and your motorcycle is some meters away...

There is a device for that purpose for riders. It can detect a fall and call for help automatically but I don't remember if it's using the communication satellites...

The Spot Gen 3 is about 3.5" tall, 2.5" wide and 1" thick. It's small.

I carry in my jacket pocket so it stays with me if I "lose" the bike.

A competitor of SPOT is inReach. In doing my research, I recall the advantages of inReach over SPOT was that inReach can do two way texting with the emergency operator via satellite, and the satellite constellation used by inReach has broader worldwide coverage. Based on those perceived advantages, I went with the inReach service. One of the service pricing options allows you to turn the service on and off on a monthly basis.

The inReach radio is reasonably pocket sized, about the size of an FRS radio, e.g. a Motorola Talkabout

Last edited:
Another APP would be Waze. You can send select contacts a link that directly shows where you are on your map and a route in which you intend to go. They can click a link sent to their phone and see where you are in real time. (Probably minus where you dont have a connection). I carry a Garmin Inreach explorer+ for peace of mind and because i use it for other things including kayaking and hunting. The explorer also doubles as a hand held GPS device so its worth its weight in gold to me. I have never had to use it (Knock on wood) but the satellite texting is pretty cool. Another plus for waze is that other people add their input to the map, which gets added to yours. If there is police, potholes, or vehicles stopped on the side of the road, and somebody reports it, an icon will appear on your map. You will also get a voice telling you its coming up, however far ahead (If you use a bluetooth headset in your helmet like i do). I try my best to report things as i come across them. Another thing about adding stuff, if you come up to the hazard and it no longer exists, you can tell the map so and it will remove it. I use it daily even in my cage.

Back