• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GPS: Can you SEE yours while riding?

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I got the family GPS on a handlebar mount and took it out on a desert ride. It was reassuring to have it there,
but I could barely read it.
How do you SEE your GPS when you're out on a ride?

I use the iphone in my ram cradle. Their maps and directions work well and the screen is always lit well.

I use the iphone in my ram cradle. Their maps and directions work well and the screen is always lit well.

Where's your Ram mount situated?

My Ram universal mount is on the handlebar top bridge, and is a little too horizontal for good viewing as the iPhone's screen picks up too much reflection. I need to either shade the screen with something or move the mount to a different location, but with the Sena's Bluetooth I'm not looking at the screen much anyway.

I couldn't see mine very good because I had it adjusted too horizontal. Have had no problem since the viewing angle was adjusted to be more vertical.

I keep my iPhone and Garmin 500 almost vertical. More visible in bright light and less likely to overheat. Obviously not so vertical I can't read it.

Some of the automobile oriented GPS models have a screen that washes out in the sun but I have no problem seeing this 2730 in the sun. I have seen people make up a sun shade to help screen brightness on units that wash out.

Where's your Ram mount situated?

My Ram universal mount is on the handlebar top bridge, and is a little too horizontal for good viewing as the iPhone's screen picks up too much reflection. I need to either shade the screen with something or move the mount to a different location, but with the Sena's Bluetooth I'm not looking at the screen much anyway.

I have it on the right at an angle facing me so when riding I can easily use my left hand to use it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21368994972.949397.jpg

I use my iPhone for navigation, although being a truck driver i take it as a matter of professional pride to be able to keep my route in my head. It is also dangerous to spend too much time looking at the screen, so I tend to keep it running merely as a reference and check it only when stopped.

If I actually need directions while riding, I turn in the audio and run it into my helmet speakers via Bluetooth. It got me through a rather complicated area I had never been to before, on a pitch black night in the midst of a duck-drowning gully-washing biblical downpour with the iPhone tucked into a jacket pocket under my raingear....strictly on verbal cues.

My Garmin also plays HD videos. My favorites to watch while riding are Little Fauss and Big Halsey and Ride Like A Pro. I wired in a thumb switch for Pause so I can take phone calls and not miss the funny parts.

My Garmin also plays HD videos. My favorites to watch while riding are Little Fauss and Big Halsey and Ride Like A Pro. I wired in a thumb switch for Pause so I can take phone calls and not miss the funny parts.

Just do us a favor and always make sure to ride in front of a car with a dashboard camera so we can all see you on YouTube when it happens.

For your own sake and that of others, DO NOT OPERATE the GPS or any devices while the bike is moving.

You may think you are the fighter-pilot who can multitask 10 things at one time, but in reality you are placing yourself and other road-users in danger.

If you crash and burn yourself, that's all ok with us.
If you crash into a child or cause a truck to pile into a school bus, then the blood is on your hands.

For me, I only look at the GPS to see where I am (as in using it like a map).
For navigation, please use a wired or bluetoothed voice system.

Common sense and consideration for others are now a scarcity.
Kindly restart your brain. Ctrl-Alt-Del.
:p

Back