• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GPS: Can you SEE yours while riding?

Using IPhone and Givi housing. This helps to maintain good contrast and visibility, unless the sun is behind and at the angle that causes glare of the protective plastic screen.

image.jpg

My Garmin also plays HD videos. My favorites to watch while riding are Little Fauss and Big Halsey and Ride Like A Pro. I wired in a thumb switch for Pause so I can take phone calls and not miss the funny parts.

Hey guys,I think he was joking !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bummed... it's just not bright enough by itself. It's a tomtom ONE xl....
I think I will make a cardboard visor for it, but it will be more like a square tube...5 or 6 inches deep.
That will put the GPS at the bottom of a dark hole, and then maybe I'll be able to read it!

I've been fooled a couple times lately for not being able to discern a "joke" when I see it.
This is one of those times, when I can't tell if someone is "pulling my leg" or not.

I think I'll velcro it on the inside of my helmet visor.... maybe that would work?

I've been fooled a couple times lately for not being able to discern a "joke" when I see it.
This is one of those times, when I can't tell if someone is "pulling my leg" or not.

I think I'll velcro it on the inside of my helmet visor.... maybe that would work?

...or you just make it somehow until Google Glass becomes widely available ? :)

...or you just make it somehow until Google Glass becomes widely available ? :)

On that topic tangent, That has been brought up before our safety legistators who are looking at implementing laws against devices that directly interfere with vision before it comes out.

But to GPS, is there enough space when turning to have a mount built to nest underneath the speedo?

On that topic tangent, That has been brought up before our safety legistators who are looking at implementing laws against devices that directly interfere with vision before it comes out.

But to GPS, is there enough space when turning to have a mount built to nest underneath the speedo?

My Ram universal X Mount will hold anything from an iPhone to a portable GPS and is mounted on the handlebar 'riser/tower':

image.jpg

It doesn't interfere with the handlebars turning, but it would if it were mounted vertically enough to avoid reflections - the compromise is that the device sits a little horizontally, so reflections are an issue. The X Mount can with a little fiddling be made to sit a little more vertically (it's strapped to the riser/tower with a heavy duty zip tie), but clearance then becomes the issue. It's a pity as its a great spot for the device to sit. I'm working on a little sun shade to fit around the iPhone.

Last edited:
map is what I like best,getting lost here is all part of the fun especially with the bike I've got.
ok you guys got bigger distances to travel than we've got but you can do 200 miles in time than it takes us to do a 100.

Mounted

I mounted my GPS down on the frunk, its not in the way up at the handle bars and the angle is perfect fro me to see.

Attachments

• DSCF5525.jpg
    DSCF5525.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 454
  • DSCF5526.jpg
    DSCF5526.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 396
  • DSCF5527.jpg
    DSCF5527.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 435
No, used a product called Marine Goop, stuff doesn't let go once its on there. It places the GPS in perfect view, and when you remove the GPS bag you have just a ball there. Seems to work very well so far and defeats the clutter that starts happening on the handlebars.

My two cents:
Some screens are dim! Designed for indirect sunlight at worst. We have this same problem on boats, especially when using smartphone/tablet/laptop-based navigation systems. We use shades and constantly futz with the viewing angles.
Some displays have more 'nits' - a brightness measure. But it is hard getting that info, so you have to try them out. I find that dedicated GPS units are generally brighter and don't die when in rural areas like cell-based maps. Note - I recently learned how to download maps on my Samsung phone, so that is MUCH better!
The vocal directions piped to your helmet are the best if you are on a planned/loaded route. Trying to punch one in underway is risky and everyone has done it at one time or another. The days of following a folded up map under a plastic pocket on your tank bag are essentially over, but still appeals to me at times!
Be ready - a consumer HUD mounted in your helmet that interfaces with your nav system (and maybe all the bike systems) is coming soon. The gadget freaks among us will LOVE it!

Readability of GPS devices is highly dependent upon display technologies and ambient lighting. I have a Gamin Montana 600 that uses a TFT display which is quite readable in most lighting conditions. In fact, as far as "turning up the brightness", this unit performs better in daylight with the brightness at 0%. The ambient light actually illuminates the display. I rarely need the brightness set any anything past 60%, which also extends battery life.

I mounted my Garmin with a Ram mount directly to the bottom 2 handlebar clamp bolts using a homemade bracket.
It is rock solid, and easy to read under any condition, but admittedly a bit harder in VERY bright sunlight.
I have the Garmin 855 wired up so that it automatically turns on and off with the ignition key.
:)

Attachments

• DSCN3698.jpg
    DSCN3698.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 181
  • DSCN3699.jpg
    DSCN3699.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN3700.jpg
    DSCN3700.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 284
I use a tablet as a GPS, I need to mount mine vertical, I can't see it if I'm wearing polarized sunglasses when it's horizontal.
I wish I could mount it horizontal above the "gauge cluster" like a rally bike, would be easier to see without having to look down so far.

solQzgZ.jpg

Back