• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

GoPro Quadcopter

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
First there was the mobil phone - then came the smart phone

First there was the quadcopter - now comes the smart quadcopter

GoPro has teamed up with 3DR (maker of the SOLO quadcopter) and will introduce the smart quadcopter in the 1st quarter of 2016.

This quadcopter will have a few computers onboard to make flying a quadcopter quite easy (auto wind - flight corrections, and preprogamming flight) . Also gimbal controlled camera.

The ability to preprogram the quadcopter will give selfie video production while both your hands are driving the motorcycle a small beginning. Still a long way to do list, but a beginning.

https://gopro.com/news/sneak-peek-prototype-gopro-quadcopter-footage

Last edited:
I agree, as the "Lilly" is one of the smart quadcopters I am looking at also. The Lilly will be out about the same time as the GoPro, and a few other new smart copters. Because so many smart copters will be out soon, it is driving the price down too under $1000. The size of the smart copters will also shrink in size with the autopilot correcting for the wind.

However, the general public does have a real bad case of "Privacy Guard Fears" when it comes to drone quadcopters. There is now a 400 foot ceiling on the drones, with many public parks now establishing "no drone " policies. I have flown in the county park across the street from my house (Challenger Seven Memorial Park) from before the park was built. Never had any problems from the previous staff (park built in 1977) in all these years. Also, never any type of safety issues. Now, with a new young park manager, my drone is now a "Public Safety Issue", and can not be flown in the park. The cars that are allowed to drive in the park are a far greater safety issue than my small plastic drone. The NPS, which manages all 58 National Parks throughout the USA, has launched a temporary ban on drones within the country’s National Parks.

Like motorcycles, drones are now experiencing fear issues with the public at large.

Last edited:
There are a couple of quads out there already that have a "Follow Me" mode.
Check out any of the DJI Phantom 3 series as well as the Yuneec Q500+ Typhoon that comes with the camera and FPV video monitor and the Typhoon G that requires a GoPro 3 or 4

Yuneec Typhoon G is a good drone but does not have the smart camera GoPro abilities when in flight. Must turn the GoPro on before you start to fly. With the newer smart drones you can turn the GoPro on and off when in flight, change from camera to video in flight, and operate all the GoPro features while in flight. Yuneec does have good service if something should go wrong. DJI Phantom 3 has its own camera that does not have all the features of the GoPro camera. The Phantom Professional is a Great drone, but with a Professional price. Also, read Phantom forum about service. The Solo is also one of the smart dones on the market today. Solo is getting real close to full GoPro ablilties but still a few upgrades away. Looks like within the next year all the companies will have their smart drones with full camera ablities, including the new GoPro. The follow me feature is on most all the newer drones, but auto flight with many flight features will be on the newer smart drones. Great smart drone videos are just around the corner for smart drones.

"Pubic fear" of drones is currently drones biggest problem. Folks seem to believe that George Orwell's book "1984" is just arould the corner. Air ship One is not today's reality. Time to get real, and live the adventure of life.

Last edited:
The krossblade is interesting with reported speed of around 65 mph. However, again it will not be out until next March. It cost almost $2000, so it is the most expensive of the new smart drones.

A few minutes ago, I was flying my drone on my property which is across the street from the Challenger Seven Memorial Park. Next thing I knew here comes that nice new young fella park manager with one of the county sheriff's park rangers, in one of the parks pickups. He and the county sheriff park ranger got out of the pickup and walked onto my property, so naturally I had to made my drone do a triple barrel loop in front of them. He asked me what I thought I was doing after he told me I could no longer fly the drone in the park. So, I politely explained to this young new park manager and the county sheriff park ranger, that all the property across from the park that I was flying on and above was my property, and I was currently thinking about putting them into the jail house for trespassing. I showed these nice folks my ID's, and man did those two nice folks leave quickly!!!!

Last edited:
Yuneec Typhoon G is a good drone but does not have the smart camera GoPro abilities when in flight. Must turn the GoPro on before you start to fly. With the newer smart drones you can turn the GoPro on and off when in flight, change from camera to video in flight, and operate all the GoPro features while in flight. Yuneec does have good service if something should go wrong. "

Horizon Hobby's Blade Chroma does have a button to turn on/off the video and another button to shoot pics. It is built by Yuneec and has all the backing of Horizon Hobby. It will do a 'follow me' as long as you're carrying the transmitter with you. They also announced a small module that you can carry and the quad will follow the module. 30 minutes flying times. 1080p camera or a 4k version. Lot less than $2,000.
>T

Yes, it does appear that we are only a few months away from very smart drones that anyone can fly or that can auto pilot themselfs. Newer technology will soon allow us to put our smaller drones in a pocket in our jackets, hand launch the drone while never getting off your bike. You will fly the drone from a app on your phone. The phone GPS signal will allow the drone to follow you on the bike, or fly ahead. You will get some unreal videos of yourself riding your motorcycle, and finally push a button so the drone will return to where ever you are on your motorcycle hovering in front of you for you to grab it and put it back in your pocket.. The speed of technology is just unreal.

Last edited:
A few minutes ago, I was flying my drone on my property which is across the street from the Challenger Seven Memorial Park. Next thing I knew here comes that nice new young fella park manager with one of the county sheriff's park rangers, in one of the parks pickups. He and the county sheriff park ranger got out of the pickup and walked onto my property, so naturally I had to made my drone do a triple barrel loop in front of them. He asked me what I thought I was doing after he told me I could no longer fly the drone in the park. So, I politely explained to this young new park manager and the county sheriff park ranger, that all the property across from the park that I was flying on and above was my property, and I was currently thinking about putting them into the jail house for trespassing. I showed these nice folks my ID's, and man did those two nice folks leave quickly!!!!
I believe in Texas you are under no obligation to show any one any id unless you are taken into custody... I don't even think you need to identify yourself unless your taken into custody...

I do think that some states have stop and identify laws that require you to give up your first name and DOB when asked by a law officer, Texas to my knowledge is not one of them.

I believe in Texas you are under no obligation to show any one any id unless you are taken into custody... I don't even think you need to identify yourself unless your taken into custody...

I do think that some states have stop and identify laws that require you to give up your first name and DOB when asked by a law officer, Texas to my knowledge is not one of them.

To my knowledge one must have ID on their person, just about everywhere on this earth. Any person who properly represents any state or government has the right to ask to see your ID at every place on earth that I know of. Most places I know of these days also require the ID be a picture ID. If you do not have a drivers license most states will provide folks with a proper ID at a state facility. Yes, "Failure to provide proper ID", is a reason for arrest. What some folks do not realize is when any officer stops you for any reason by law you are under arrest. Yes the public offical must show cause to stop you, and when you satisify the public offical who stopped you cause for the stop, then that offical must let you go or show cause to arrest you. When you sign a traffic ticket you are not signing that you are guilty of anything, your signature is a personal recognizance bond. And yes, if the public offical who stopped you can not show cause for the arrest (stop), then there is a false arrest. So, each and every time the public offical who arrested (stopped you) will have a cause as required by law, if you like it or not!

Last edited:
^^^
When law enforcement officers deal with a member of the public, the law will classify it either as a "consensual encounter", a "detention", or an "arrest". There are important legal differences between these three definitions and what the public can or cannot do. Someone being detained is not free to leave but they are not under arrest unless additional steps are taken.

As far as "failure to provide ID", that may be a law in Texas. Oddly enough, it is not one here in California. The case that caused that happened right in my home town -- Kolender v. Lawson. This court ruling extended as a defense to others who have been stopped by police without reasonable suspicion and subsequently arrested for not producing identification. Its still a sticky issue (and a long story) of interpretation here in CA.

Here's a Wiki article on Stop and Identify Statutes. It also explains arrest vs. detention. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_and_identify_statutes

Last edited:
Hey OCR, my wife just showed me this. Our local police department posted it on their Facebook page. Apparently a new federal law is going into effect on December 21, 2015 that requires the registration of drones and unmanned aircraft. Also, there is a new local ordinance strictly forbidding drone flight in all local parks without express written consent. There is a weight limit though. If the unmanned aircraft is under .55 pounds, there is no need to register. I guess that Frisbees are still legal.
UAS Registration Q&A

To my knowledge one must have ID on their person, just about everywhere on this earth. Any person who properly represents any state or government has the right to ask to see your ID at every place on earth that I know of.

This not true at all! Police must have reasonable suspicion to detain you and ask for ID. They cannot just ask you for ID while walking down the street. You DO NOT have to provide ID or even have ID on you in the United States. They may have the right to ask for it, but you are under no obligation to provide it.

https://www.flexyourrights.org/faqs/when-can-police-ask-for-id/

Are You Required To Show ID or Answer Questions To Police and Other Government Agents Upon Demand? - by John-Henry Hill, M.D., Ph.D. | Cop Block

Last edited:
Hey OCR, my wife just showed me this. Our local police department posted it on their Facebook page. Apparently a new federal law is going into effect on December 21, 2015 that requires the registration of drones and unmanned aircraft. Also, there is a new local ordinance strictly forbidding drone flight in all local parks without express written consent. There is a weight limit though. If the unmanned aircraft is under .55 pounds, there is no need to register. I guess that Frisbees are still legal.
UAS Registration Q&A

Most all toy drones weight under .55 lbs. Sort of like motorcycles, you have to kept the weight down.

That is called the return button on a drone. It returns and lands itself in front of you, at the take off point. Complete GPS mapping system in some of the drones around $1300 and up. They can be set to hover at a set place and altitute also.

Back