• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Going back to stock exhaust?

According to OSHA the level of wind noise endured at certain (higher) speeds can damage ears over time or in a few minutes. It's as much argument as what oil is better.... I feel like ear plugs reduce my riding fatigue but I also don't want to lose my hearing. Most people probably won't be severely affected but I ride at 60mph an hour every day and I'm a musician. I don't want to take a chance.
I would be more worried about the music. All you guys are worried about a little noise under your helmet so you use ear plugs which makes your ride more dangerous.

Last edited:
I doubt if any of that is going to hurt your ears, I worked with skil saws and nail guns etc for 25 years and my ears are fine. Many people endure a lot more noise at work than a little wind while riding on an electric bike and have no problems.
I’m glad your ears are fine. Perhaps you received normal plots on your last hearing test then? If so, great!

You are making assumptions about my hearing ability and my past without even knowing me well. I hope you’ll forgive me for kindly ignoring your advice.

I’m glad your ears are fine. Perhaps you received normal plots on your last hearing test then? If so, great!

You are making assumptions about my hearing ability and my past without even knowing me well. I hope you’ll forgive me for kindly ignoring your advice.
So you are an exception. I have a problem with hearing that most people don't have and it's high pitch loud noises that hurt my ears. An example is little kids/babies screaming next to me. I can't figure out if it physically hurts or if it's so annoying that it hurts. Other examples are; train wheels squealing on a track, sirens, and girls screaming.

Last edited:
Because there isn't enough noise inside a helmet to damage your ears but wearing earplugs hamper an important part of safe riding; hearing. I would like to know if a big truck is coming up behind me, etc, etc.

You are wrong dude. We who cares about our ears are wearing earplugs that reduces the noise by 20-25 db. I would personally never use earplugs that block most of the sound.

So you are an exception. I have a problem with hearing that most people don't have and it's high pitch loud noises that hurt my ears. An example is little kids/babies screaming next to me. I can't figure out if it physically hurts or if it's so annoying that it hurts. Other examples are; train wheels squealing on a track, sirens, and girls screaming.
You might consider consulting an audiologist about the ear pain from the noises you describe. "Normal" is a range but what you describe would concern me as not normal.

What exposure to high frequency noises like wind noise does to your hearing over time is well known and understood. If you want to hear yourself fart in old age protect your hearing in young and middle age. Properly fitted and use of hearing protection devices attenuate the damaging frequencies yet allow hearing traffic noises, conversation, and music.

We also have mirrors and a head on a swivel for being aware of what is behind us.

I doubt if any of that is going to hurt your ears, I worked with skil saws and nail guns etc for 25 years and my ears are fine. Many people endure a lot more noise at work than a little wind while riding on an electric bike and have no problems.
Post #18: your ears are fine.
Post #25: you have a problem with your hearing.
IDK why anyone would need earplugs with a stock exhaust but I guess "to each their own".
You say you don’t know why. People tell you why, with valid reasons. Then you seem to want to argue with them rather than learn. Let’s go with “to each their own” and drop this now. The benefits of wearing hearing protection are well known and supported, and individuals can make their own choices.

Protect your hearing. Unfortunately I didn't do enough to protect mine. I've lived for decades with a 18,000 to 20,000 Hz squeal in both ears. It's a 24/7 issue. Being in a quiet environment can be maddening. I can't even fall asleep without some background noise to distract me from the squeal.

Protect your hearing. Unfortunately I didn't do enough to protect mine. I've lived for decades with a 18,000 to 20,000 Hz squeal in both ears. It's a 24/7 issue. Being in a quiet environment can be maddening. I can't even fall asleep without some background noise to distract me from the squeal.
I'm in the same situation...guns when young, then rock n roll and motorcycles as I got older. Loud tinnitus both ears 24/7. Had it for at least 20 years. Ear plugs just accentuate the tinnitus by blocking out everything else. Wind noise when riding actually blocks out the tinnitus., but then you have to get off the bike sometime and listen to the ringing again. Can hardly hear regular conversations, or the TV. My favorite expression is WHAT? I'm told hearing aids won't help with the tinnitus. I have learned how to go to sleep with it, but you're right silent environments accentuate the squealing in my head.

I'm in the same situation...guns when young, then rock n roll and motorcycles as I got older. Loud tinnitus both ears 24/7.
I'm sorry that you have to deal with that.

My tinnitus seems to temporarily get worse when its challenged by an outside source. Back-road riding with the shield down on a 3/4 helmet doesn't create enough wind noise to cause more aggravation. Speeds above 55, even with a modular helmet, require me to use earplugs.

Post #18: your ears are fine.

Post #25: you have a problem with your hearing.

You say you don’t know why. People tell you why, with valid reasons. Then you seem to want to argue with them rather than learn. Let’s go with “to each their own” and drop this now. The benefits of wearing hearing protection are well known and supported, and individuals can make their own choices.
I'm old and are ears are fine other than occasional bothersome noises which I can live with. I think some people can tolerate more noise pollution with no ill effects than others. I still don't buy the "wind in the helmet" theory though.

You might consider consulting an audiologist about the ear pain from the noises you describe. "Normal" is a range but what you describe would concern me as not normal.

What exposure to high frequency noises like wind noise does to your hearing over time is well known and understood. If you want to hear yourself fart in old age protect your hearing in young and middle age. Properly fitted and use of hearing protection devices attenuate the damaging frequencies yet allow hearing traffic noises, conversation, and music.

We also have mirrors and a head on a swivel for being aware of what is behind us.
So you have special earplugs that let in traffic noise but block everything else? You need all your senses to ride safely.

So you have special earplugs that let in traffic noise but block everything else? You need all your senses to ride safely.
All earplugs generally work like that. Very loud or high pitched noises are reduced/blocked but more common sounds are able to come in. If you’re been shooting think about how you can hear your range partner talk but the report of your weapon is not ear splitting. Personally I’ve ridden both with and without earplugs and find it easier to hear both surrounding sounds and the goings on with my bike when I wear them. The wind noise drowns everything else out at speed. That being said at low speeds (around my neighborhood for example) no hearing protection is preferable when trying to diagnose an issue.

All earplugs generally work like that. Very loud or high pitched noises are reduced/blocked but more common sounds are able to come in. If you’re been shooting think about how you can hear your range partner talk but the report of your weapon is not ear splitting. Personally I’ve ridden both with and without earplugs and find it easier to hear both surrounding sounds and the goings on with my bike when I wear them. The wind noise drowns everything else out at speed. That being said at low speeds (around my neighborhood for example) no hearing protection is preferable when trying to diagnose an issue.
Hmmm, better hearing with earplugs, that's pretty good.

Because there isn't enough noise inside a helmet to damage your ears but wearing earplugs hamper an important part of safe riding; hearing. I would like to know if a big truck is coming up behind me, etc, etc.
I mean this respectfully. There are things I do on a bike that are stupid and I am not preaching. I had a similar perspective as yours. I never rode with earplugs up until a few months ago and wish I had never ridden without them after the first trip. My logic was the same as yours; we need all of our senses while riding a motorcycle, anything else is unsafe. Interestingly, there is no evidence to support that auditory environmental noise awareness improves motorcyclist safety, and also none that confirms that it doesn't so that remains unsettled ...not my research obviously, I just found it when I was looking into this. I purchased EarPeace filtered earplugs and they are working out pretty good for me. Plus, bone conduction still gives you auditory cues about your environment. It is a fact that once you begin crossing speeds of about 45 miles there are few, if any, helmets that reduce sound to a level that will not cause hearing loss in as little as 15 minutes. I'm almost deaf in one ear from loud noise exposure in my previous career. Only good intentions here.

I mean this respectfully. There are things I do on a bike that are stupid and I am not preaching. I had a similar perspective as yours. I never rode with earplugs up until a few months ago and wish I had never ridden without them after the first trip. My logic was the same as yours; we need all of our senses while riding a motorcycle, anything else is unsafe. Interestingly, there is no evidence to support that auditory environmental noise awareness improves motorcyclist safety, and also none that confirms that it doesn't so that remains unsettled ...not my research obviously, I just found it when I was looking into this. I purchased EarPeace filtered earplugs and they are working out pretty good for me. Plus, bone conduction still gives you auditory cues about your environment. It is a fact that once you begin crossing speeds of about 45 miles there are few, if any, helmets that reduce sound to a level that will not cause hearing loss in as little as 15 minutes. I'm almost deaf in one ear from loud noise exposure in my previous career. Only good intentions here.
I did find this on google which was interesting, but I am wondering how I ran skil saws and nail guns, plus rode bikes all my life but I can still hear well. (other than some noises bother me occasionally).
From google;
At 100 kilometres per hour (63 miles per hour) sound levels range between 103 dB and 116 dB. At those highway speeds a drive without hearing protection should be limited to less than 15 minutes.
Your helmet offers protection against bumps and even crashes but it does not keep out much of the noise. Studies have indicated that the maximum noise reduction from wearing a helmet ranges from 3 to 5 dB. An inexpensive set of earplugs reduces noise exposure by as much as 35 dB, allowing you to ride all day without the fear of hearing damage.

I did find this on google which was interesting, but I am wondering how I ran skil saws and nail guns, plus rode bikes all my life but I can still hear well. (other than some noises bother me occasionally).
From google;
At 100 kilometres per hour (63 miles per hour) sound levels range between 103 dB and 116 dB. At those highway speeds a drive without hearing protection should be limited to less than 15 minutes.
Your helmet offers protection against bumps and even crashes but it does not keep out much of the noise. Studies have indicated that the maximum noise reduction from wearing a helmet ranges from 3 to 5 dB. An inexpensive set of earplugs reduces noise exposure by as much as 35 dB, allowing you to ride all day without the fear of hearing damage.
Have you ever had your hearing checked? If you have and you’re still good the just chalk it up to good luck I guess

No, not special. I just opened a 200 count box of Howard Leight Laser Lites Uncorded and have a few Max Lites left from a previous box. There are standards and ratings that earplugs meet so you can compare various hearing protection levels offered. I look for NNR 30-32 for riding.

Earplugs that I use are designed to reduce harmful frequencies while allowing traffic noises, conversation, and music. These are muffled somewhat but not “blocked out.” Today while riding 50 to 70 mph I listened to a podcast and could hear every word.

Back