• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Going back to stock exhaust?

Have you ever had your hearing checked? If you have and you’re still good the just chalk it up to good luck I guess
It's pretty common for the noises that bother me to bother others. As an example, where I sometimes eat lunch there are trains that go by 50 yards away and the wheels make a horrendous squealing noise, plus the horns, but I am not the only one holding my ears there. Otherwise, there is nothing to check, and you rarely hear me saying "what"? Maybe I am lucky because my cousin (which I worked with) now wears a hearing aid.

It's pretty common for the noises that bother me to bother others. As an example, where I sometimes eat lunch there are trains that go by 50 yards away and the wheels make a horrendous squealing noise, plus the horns, but I am not the only one holding my ears there. Otherwise, there is nothing to check, and you rarely hear me saying "what"? Maybe I am lucky because my cousin (which I worked with) now wears a hearing aid.
My work has a hearing conservation program where we are checked yearly by a technician. If you’ve not had that done there’s no telling how much damage is done. I hear very acutely but found i definitely have loss in my left ear.

I did find this on google which was interesting, but I am wondering how I ran skil saws and nail guns, plus rode bikes all my life but I can still hear well. (other than some noises bother me occasionally).
From google;
At 100 kilometres per hour (63 miles per hour) sound levels range between 103 dB and 116 dB. At those highway speeds a drive without hearing protection should be limited to less than 15 minutes.
Your helmet offers protection against bumps and even crashes but it does not keep out much of the noise. Studies have indicated that the maximum noise reduction from wearing a helmet ranges from 3 to 5 dB. An inexpensive set of earplugs reduces noise exposure by as much as 35 dB, allowing you to ride all day without the fear of hearing damage.
Not sure on the saws and nail guns. Maybe because it was intermittent (saw on saw off, not on continuously long enough to cause damage, don't know). My hearing loss was caused by gunfire (10 rounds of a .45 a foot and a half from my ear) while I was confined to a very small space. Perforated my eardrum, broke a good percentage of my cilia. My hearing loss was quick and I think on a motorcyle it is cumulative.

I used to have my hearing checked when I was a teacher. That and chalk dust were classed as occupational hazards so had to get compulsory checks. I use ear plugs outside of town due to wind noise. My exhaust is louder than stock but not obscenely, more a nice burble. The guy two blocks away with his Honda 1800 cruiser is loud. I can hear him leaving.

LOL I've never heard a guy with a non-stock exhaust say his bike is loud, even Harley guys. They always say it has a nice burble, or it has better tone, or I can barely hear it when I'm on the expressway or something. You need to ask a complete stranger if they think your bike is loud, particularly when you are revving it

LOL I've never heard a guy with a non-stock exhaust say his bike is loud, even Harley guys. They always say it has a nice burble, or it has better tone, or I can barely hear it when I'm on the expressway or something. You need to ask a complete stranger if they think your bike is loud, particularly when you are revving it
Yep.

Coincidentally, I just arrived to visit my 3yo grandson. He asked which motorcycle I rode today? I said the quiet one (Zero electric). He began jumping up and down and exclaimed that it was his favorite one!

I also leave the baffles in.
Baffles out and I'd be in trouble.

By mutual agreement my exhausts have to be neighbor friendly and wife approved.

After 40 years of wearing hearing protection, starting way back when it was considered whimpy, I was working construction, working in a paper mill, and using firearms I still have most of my hearing left. Tinnitus sucks.

Last edited:
Back