• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Getting Frustrated with Seat and Windshield Issues

Gibsito

Reaction score
Visit site
So I've now had my X for just over a year and have done plenty of mods trying to make it comfortable for long distance rides, but I'm getting really tired of the trial-and-error method of doing this. I swapped out the OEM seat and windshield for a Seat Concepts "low" seat and a Puig touring windshield with the clip-on visor, and was initially happy with both of those. But I hadn't ridden more than 100 miles until yesterday, when I rode about 125 miles.

Windshield - It works fine so long as there is very little wind. But if the wind is blowing more than about 10 mph the inevitable cross winds cause helmet buffeting due to a very narrow "clean air" area behind the Puig. I'd like to hear from you Madstad riders - what are the negatives (if any) you've experienced with that windshield? I'm considering going in that direction. Or maybe I'll just remove the windshield entirely. I don't know.

Seat - the Seat Concepts Low seat was definitely an improvement over the OEM seat, allowing me to go further without butt pain. But I think I found its limits yesterday. After 100 miles that old familiar pain returned and it was quite uncomfortable until I got home and off the bike. I took a lunch break at about 30 miles into the ride but that was the only break I took. Maybe I'm just one of those people who needs to get off the bike fairly frequently. But now I'm wondering if an Airhawk or beads would help. I can't afford to be lifted up any higher due to my 30" inseam, but maybe minimal air in an Airhawk would help. Any advice on any kind of seat toppers that might work? My best guess as to what's happening is a lack of circulation down there. The pain is around my sit bones.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just getting tired of throwing money at these problems with no guarantee that the issues will be resolved.

Seat and windshield are probably the two items that are so personal in nature that you will probably get several different answers to your problem and they will amount to a big fat zero. It's like walking into Baskin Robbins ice cream store where there are 31 flavors and 31 people have selected a different flavor as the best and say you should try the one they like. I for one use a Corbin seat and a National Cycle windshield and really like them both. Can stay in the seat for several hours and no wind problem. There you go --- first piece of free advise.

As far as the seat is concerned, I would suggest paying attention to your posture and riding more. Poor posture is more often the cause of many people's seat complaints. It can cause pain in the lower back and the shoulders as well as that numb tingly feeling in the hands that new rider complain about. It's also very common for back problem to arise by not riding enough. The more you ride the more you strengthen the muscles needed for maintaining proper posture. For folks that don't do long distances very often, this is often the cause. This may not be the source of your issues at all, but it's worth paying attention too.

As far as the screen is concerned, if the problem your attempting to fix is buffeting, you'll want to go smaller with the windscreen. All windscreens cause turbulence and the shape of full face helmets are designed for non turbulent air. If you are in clean air, you will have no buffeting with a quality helmet, but you will have no wind protection. If you desire wind protection, in my experience, buffeting has always been as issue and especially so with cross winds.

I wish you luck with it.

Ever ride horses? Riding more cures a lot of the initial hell ; }

Doc True is on the right track, I got a Corbin seat and a Cee Bailey 22" and my ride was much better, but still long distances were painful. I added a 2" riser and grip puppies, which sat me upright a little more, plus reducing vibration in my hands and that was a huge benefit when hours into a ride.

I'm wondering if an Airhawk or beads would help.
I suggest trying the cheapest stuff first...When all else fails <then> order the $400 Russell Day Long ;-)

You might want to try a set of Walmart beads. They sell them for cars, but you can cut and trim, tie the loose ends into a shape that will fit your seat. I did that and for like $8 was able to complete a 14,000 mile three-week tour.

I also found (surprisingly) that when riding with jeans after about 30 mins I have bun burn. With my Aerostitch riding pants (Darien) it takes hours and hours for discomfort to set in. Makes no difference if beads are on or off the seat. Riding pants help me. Have no idea why.

Last, don't dismiss a nice set of $80 padded bicycle shorts. When I rode out to New Mexico for the start of an Iron Butt ride the <first> thing I did was head to a sporting goods store and buy the best (most expensive) shorts I could find. They helped quite a bit over the next 11 days but well, were a bit ripe near the end of the rally ;-)

You can probably get two beaded seat covers out of one Walmart car seat beaded cover. This one here was on my GL1800 for about 100,000 miles and now moved to the NC..

IMG_3095-L.jpg

Last edited:
.I also found (surprisingly) that when riding with jeans after about 30 mins I have bun burn. With my Aerostitch riding pants (Darien) it takes hours and hours for discomfort to set in. Makes no difference if beads are on or off the seat. Riding pants help me. Have no idea why.

Cotton (jeans are 100% cotton) is probably the least comfortable to be sitting on. You want something that doesn't hold moisture, like your Aerostich riding pants or pretty much any motorcycle pant. Also Underarmor or similar will be more comfortable than cotton underwear.

I use an AirHawk R large cruiser pad but also have installed some highway pegs that I can use to stretch my legs or shove my butt back.
I almost always wear padded bike shorts for long runs or UnderArmor briefs, never cotton.
That puts my riding time at about 175 miles or a tank of gas before I have to get off, which is perfect.
The AirHawk feels weird at first, like playing in a bouncy castle, the trick is to use minimal air.

I tried every windshield made for the NC. bought and sold, bought and sold. and lost a bit with every transaction.

before you try a new windshield. make sure to find the best fitting helmet. and yes some helmet are quieter then other. make sure your chin strap is tight. less movement, less buffeting.

as for windshield. i finally went with a madstad. never look back. the infinite and minute adjustment is what can get you that quietness.

as for a seat... i modified my own seat. i am satisfied with it .. but i still wonder if i could improve it. but the best improvement in the seat i did was to myself. there is a buttock exercises to increase the muscle mass. this solved it for me.

I find that standing on the pegs for a short period refreshes the posture and the butt immensely. and it's fun.

My $.02 (before tax):

I use a Sargent seat and CalSci medium windshield, both to very good effect. I'm 6' about 235 with a 32-33 inseam. CalSci had a lot of good info on their site about getting the "proper" height screen.

I'll also quickly echo the advise about the pants you wear affecting long distance comfort. I always wear textile armored pants (Firstgear TPG, RevIt) and that helps. But when I'm going out for more than an hour I have wicking boxers (adidas or champions) under some UnderArmour compression pants (runners pants). This allows wicking, cooling and most of all no friction. It's very comfortable even in 95 degree 90% humidity.

The last thing is I broke down and bought a Schuberth c3 pro - it's very quiet and seems to avoid whatever buffeting may occur behind my CalSci. I got a US DOT'd version highly discounted on ebay (though still over $500), but I figure I get to take that with me if I change bikes. My first helmet (now my spare) was a good but inexpensive full face that was loud and felt the wind shove it around regularly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
NC DCT is a practical commuter, but by no means a comfortable long distance tourer.

No sense in spending cash, trying to make a horse from a donkey :)

IMHO needless to say :)

Love my Madstad. With it raised up and a good helmet, I'm in my quiet zone.
As for the seat, I have a seatconcepts. I also have Rox handlebar risers which help with seating position and reach to the bars (I'm tall so mine are up and slightly forward). Your riding position may be what is causing the pain. Bar risers may help. Sitting more forward on the seat may help.
I like the seat concepts though I still have a bit of a slope forward which I don't like. I did do a Iron Butt on the seat concepts. I do have to condition myself to longer rides. I also prefer underwear with no seam in the butt and riding pants which have no seams in the butt. Hwy pegs are a must for me.

I'm still toying with the windshield too.

In the high position the factory screen put the air right in my chin and pushed my head around a lot.
In the low position my head didn't shake at all because the wind hit my chest, offering almost no protection at all.
The PUIG tall touring screen pushed the air up to my visor and since it's so narrow, I got a lot of buffeting (felt like someone slapping me side to side).
Adding the PUIG clip-on visor ended the buffeting altogether (once I got it to quit falling apart on me). Now all I have is noise annoying me.

I have a 22" Vstream on the way. I'm hoping the extra width at the top and the steeper angle will get rid of some of that noise without having to install the clip-on visor. If not, I give up...I'll just wear ear plugs.

EDIT: forgot to mention...I got a used seat w/ a Seat Concept cover on it. The forward slope is gone and it feels much better. Whatever they did, it made the seat feel wider and more importantly, my taint ain't sore after an hour. :D

Last edited:
First of all I do like the Madstad. It's simply a very good system and allows a wide range of adjustment not only to fit the rider but also to adjust summer to winter. It's not very good looking but it delivers. It doesn't block all wind but it is remarkably quiet while allowing the right kind of wind past it.

The seat and ergos are personal and what works for me may just be another set of experiments for you (Sargent seat - raised in front, SW Motech risers). Dedicated riding gear from Tourmaster or Aerostich for protection and outer shell, foundation layers of wicking synthetics from Jockey and Under Armor. Quiet and good fitting helmet and waterproof boots. Expect to spend some money but good gear lasts a long time.

Long distance riding for me is akin to learning to run long distances. No one completes a marathon the first time out and training/conditioning coupled with putting in ever increasing distances builds stamina. Too often I see riders buying all the right LD gear and expecting their bodies and minds to accept sitting in one 1 place, no matter how comfortable, for 10 or 15 hours for a few to many days. It doesn't work like that. Riding 200-300+ mile rides often teaches a lot about technique and equipment that work for the individual.

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I appreciate it.

A little more about me and my setup in response to some things that were brought up - I do have highway pegs, and I always ride with motorcycle pants (Olympia Airglide 3). I don't have risers but I don't feel I need them after rotating the handlebars back. I'm 5'7" and my riding posture feels pretty good to me. I feel very upright and comfortable (until the butt burn sets in). I never get back aches or shoulder aches. I did get some numbness in the hands but I believe that's because I had my jacket's wrist cuffs and my gloves too tight. I recently started loosening them up a bit and that helped a lot. I don't have any problem with my helmet (Fly full face) when I'm in the area protected by the Puig - it's only when that cross wind starts hitting me that it starts buffeting and getting loud. It's much worse than riding with no windshield (which is how I rode all the time on my former bikes). The helmet fits snug and I always get the chin strap tight. It does not feel loose at all.

The cycling shorts idea is a good one. I do a lot of cycling and have plenty of those. I'll give that a try. I've never had much cushion back there (the polar opposite of Kim Kardashian) so adding a little of the man made variety couldn't hurt. The Walmart beads is another good idea. For that price it's worth a shot. I don't mind trial and error when it's not costing me hundreds of bucks each time. Along that same train of thought, that Sit & Fly seat cover looks interesting too. I'm going to be near ProCycle later this week so may stop in and pick some of that up.

As far as the windshield I'm pretty sure I'm going to try something else. I might go the Home Depot DIY route first just because I'm so tired of throwing money around to resolve these issues. I saw someone's post here recently who did that - now if I can just find it again. If that fails I'll probably throw in the towel and go with Madstad.

Last edited:
Have you tried riding without the windshield? I say this because with my NC700S with the stock windshield, I have basically 0 wind protection and that works just fine for me. I used to have some turbulence but after switching to a tighter jacket that is gone as well, now it's relatively quiet no matter what direction the wind is blowing. Of course it'd still be quieter behind a full fairing with a big screen, but at least I don't get any buffeting caused by a windshield

There's a short screen for the 2016 NC700X (which has different mounting holes), you could try and figure out if you can mount that or you could just cut the stock screen

232urPW.jpg

Take a look at this website-
http://www.diymotorcycleseat.com/
He might go through 3 or 4 rounds of setting up his seat before he's happy. To me that means (if you're fussy) you might have to get a custom shop to work on your seat a few times before it's 'right'. Unless you're willing to pay for a Russell or Bill Mayer, you'll probably better off working with a local shop.
Since I have problems with the stock seat on day long rides, I think I'll try modding it myself before I go with an aftermarket.

Back