• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gear Indicator for Gen 1 Manual NC700x

speedfox_2002

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys

I have a 2012 NC manual and unlike the Auto's/DCT which came out here it does not show the gear indicator. However I notice it uses the exact same instrument panel as the DCT
And if i'm not wrong the new NC750 manual shows the gear position?

so my question is. Can it be enabled on the early NC models, perhaps with some software upgrade. or is the physical gear indicator missing from the gear box.

thoughts?

Hi Guys

I have a 2012 NC manual and unlike the Auto's/DCT which came out here it does not show the gear indicator. However I notice it uses the exact same instrument panel as the DCT
And if i'm not wrong the new NC750 manual shows the gear position?

so my question is. Can it be enabled on the early NC models, perhaps with some software upgrade. or is the physical gear indicator missing from the gear box.

thoughts?

Short reply, no. Unfortunately not just a software thing. I won't say outright 100% impossible, as there is always some clever soul out there that shows naysayers up, but...

You can get aftermarket gear indicators though, if that helps.

[..or is the physical gear indicator missing from the gear box?]

My guess is that the gear position is picked up by the same sensor that tells the starter system that the transmission is in Neutral so the engine will start. The Gear Position Sensor is typically a spring loader plunger with the tip running on a circular ring with indents for each gear position + neutral. You could buy that sensor from a later model but how you reprogram the dash display is another question + a possible difference in wiring.

Last edited:
The way I see it, if I'm not in the right gear, I change it up or down as needed. When I'm in the right gear, I leave it there. The actual number of the gear is irrelevant.

I have found sometimes with new (to me) motorcycles, I'll briefly have a desire for a gear indicator, but as I get accustomed to the model, the desire disappears. Eventually I can glance at the dash, and based on the relationship between the tachometer and the speedometer, tell what gear it's in. I also seem to develop a memory register in my brain that stores the current gear position subconsciously.

I don't mean to say you shouldn't pursue a gear indicator, but rather I'm just explaining my opinion of them.

The way I see it, if I'm not in the right gear, I change it up or down as needed. When I'm in the right gear, I leave it there. The actual number of the gear is irrelevant.

I have found sometimes with new (to me) motorcycles, I'll briefly have a desire for a gear indicator, but as I get accustomed to the model, the desire disappears. Eventually I can glance at the dash, and based on the relationship between the tachometer and the speedometer, tell what gear it's in. I also seem to develop a memory register in my brain that stores the current gear position subconsciously.

I don't mean to say you shouldn't pursue a gear indicator, but rather I'm just explaining my opinion of them.

no i cant argue with you. you are 100% correct about getting used to the bike. i just like gizmo's and gadgets hehe. hence the gear indicator, im also looking for a handle bar mounted digital temp gauge. for no other reason than i like gadgets

no i cant argue with you. you are 100% correct about getting used to the bike. i just like gizmo's and gadgets hehe. hence the gear indicator, im also looking for a handle bar mounted digital temp gauge. for no other reason than i like gadgets

If by temp guage you mean ambient temperature. I installed a Koso Mini3 thermometer with the top clamp bracket designed for the Grom. They also have the same style of guage for water temp, oil temp etc. I posted about it here http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/8796-handlebar-bracket.html?highlight=grom+koso

Last edited:
Back