• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fueling questions?

Cutter J. Duke

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
A lot of you have changed out your exhaust for something aftermarket, on almost every bike I've ever had this sets up a lean fueling situation. I have to believe that the NC is already running fairly lean to make the mileage it does. So the question is has any one had any issues with lean fueling especially after changing the exhaust and how did you address it?:)

no problems with lean fuelling at all. Bike been running as well as with the stock silencer only better speed pick up in the higher rev range :)

The ecu will only adjust air/fuel in situations as riding in good air (winter or at sea level) and bad air (summer or high altitude). Thats why power commanders, bazzaz, etc are still in high demand. The only true way to know would be to attach a wideband sensor to the exhaust and monitor the readings or put the bike on a dyno with the stock pipe, record the results, change to the new pipe and dyno again and see the air/fuel before and after. Most bikes have erratic air/fuel from the factory because they have it lean at a certain rpm to check emissions and rich at a certain rpm for noise. Changing to a slip on pipe only may seem harmless but it may improve the air/fuel at critical areas or it may make it worse. Just my 2 cents......

The only true way to know would be to attach a wideband sensor to the exhaust and monitor the readings or put the bike on a dyno with the stock pipe, record the results, change to the new pipe and dyno again and see the air/fuel before and after.

This.

Every bike I've had, there are always lots of guesses on what happens when you add a pipe/air filter, how much the ECU can adjust, etc, etc. But, until someone puts it on a dyno and measures the A/F ratio, they're just that... guesses.

That said, I've never seen a bike go dangerously lean with just a slip-on pipe. You'd probably be just fine.

trey

Especially considering that there is no cat converter in the NC pipe. Lots of the slip-on replacements end up ditching the cat which makes for quite a flow difference. I'm betting not much here other than nuances of sound.

The parts fiche shows an O2 sensor just after the head pipe/exhaust port flange. If this works like other bikes I've had with similar setups, the ECU will adjust for aftermarket exhaust cans based on the O2 sensor readings. IMHO, I wouldn't worry about installing a slip on exhaust, but I'd do a little research before going to an aftermarket free flow intake and full exhaust system.
Lee, I'm not sure what you mean by the pipe not having a catalytic converter. I thought the bulge at the front of the head pipe contains a cat.

Bob

Lee, I'm not sure what you mean by the pipe not having a catalytic converter. I thought the bulge at the front of the head pipe contains a cat.

Bob

You are correct Bob, but lots of motorcycles have the cat converter and the muffler built together - not separate as the NC is - and when they install a slip-on can they are eliminating the cat converter. The difference to required fueling in doing this vs. just changing one muffler for another is what I am speaking of.

This.

Every bike I've had, there are always lots of guesses on what happens when you add a pipe/air filter, how much the ECU can adjust, etc, etc. But, until someone puts it on a dyno and measures the A/F ratio, they're just that... guesses.

That said, I've never seen a bike go dangerously lean with just a slip-on pipe. You'd probably be just fine.

trey

Its the "probably" that is the issue. I'd rather know....:)

We cannot go living our lives, worrying about "probably" stuff.
If it breaks it breaks.
It is not a disaster.

For the "small" amount of money, I'd just buy another one. Sorry I don't mean to sound arrogant or mean.

One reason that I bought this bike, is that it is quite cheap and low cost to maintain.
Worrying too much about the small deltas (like what a slip on will do to the engine in the long term) is just too much details. How much oil, which oil filter, how exactly tight is the chain....is just too much for me.

Ride it and enjoy the wind and scenary....don't stop to check the air pressure every 10 miles....
If you ENJOY doing it, by all means.

:p

We cannot go living our lives, worrying about "probably" stuff.
If it breaks it breaks.
It is not a disaster.

For the "small" amount of money, I'd just buy another one. Sorry I don't mean to sound arrogant or mean.

One reason that I bought this bike, is that it is quite cheap and low cost to maintain.
Worrying too much about the small deltas (like what a slip on will do to the engine in the long term) is just too much details. How much oil, which oil filter, how exactly tight is the chain....is just too much for me.

Ride it and enjoy the wind and scenary....don't stop to check the air pressure every 10 miles....
If you ENJOY doing it, by all means.

:p

Each to their own i guess............

Wondering if changing the stock to after market pipes affect the NCX's MPG? Most of my previous bikes MPG seems to be a few miles lower after putting on a slip on... No other modifications...

Not sure if the pipes affect the MPG or I blip it too much for good sounds... ;)

Back