• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Free Undertail

Bamo

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Since I have not been using my NC for commuting any more I have decided to go a little more minimalist. I removed the rear case, and the side cases, got my new muffler mounted on there properly and my exhaust wrapped. I have wanted to do a tidy tail for a long time but could not justify the money. I could not help but notice how the tail light seemed to follow the lines of the tail. I thought I could make it work so I went for it today. BEWARE, This will be long winded and picture heavy. I am not quite finished yet and I am sure my mod will not meet with approval from everyone, it is not my normal, factory looking mod. I just wanted to try something different and see what happened. So here we go. So the first step was to cut away some of the rear tail to see how close the lines really were.

Attachments

• 20141117_135712.jpg
    20141117_135712.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 879
  • 20141117_135656.jpg
    20141117_135656.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 870
  • 20141117_135725.jpg
    20141117_135725.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 786
  • 20141117_135734.jpg
    20141117_135734.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 881
  • 20141117_140421.jpg
    20141117_140421.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 807
  • 20141117_140427.jpg
    20141117_140427.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 996
Of course I completely disassembled the tail light down to the just the lens. I was going to leave the tabs on the bottom of the tail light but for space it was necessary to cut them off. I also had to cut the light itself pretty extensively. It took several times and lots of cutting and fine tuning the fit but after lots of dremel tooling it actually came out pretty good. The light itself was to tall to fit under the top cover on the tail. I actually notched it, kind of like a shaker hood on an old dodge.. The light comes up through the notch but I kind of like how it looks. I pained all but the back of the tail light black and actually plan on plasti dipping the whole thing. I still need to seal it up and find a good way to secure it. I am thinking of JB welding it in to the lower tail piece. I know I am going to take a beating on here over this kind of engineering, but I think I make it look clean and hold strong. Anyway here are the rest of the pics with the light sitting pretty much in place. Remember this was free, and I don't think it turned out to bad. Let me know what you all think, I am sure you will :)20141117_142745.jpg20141117_142939.jpg20141117_150552.jpg20141117_161156.jpg20141117_164457.jpg20141117_164509.jpg20141117_164515.jpg

The light looks good, what are you going to do about turn signals and license plate?

Also, how hard is it going to be changing a bulb when necessary?

Very sporty!

thumbsupshirt.jpg

Turn signals will be low profile and I am going to mount them on a very simple bracket that I plan to make for the license plate. as far as getting to the bulb, I think it will actually be very easy. Lift the back seat and it it right there. Still need to work it out with the mechanism for the rear seat. I think it should be good to go though.

For some reason you seem to think we are an opinionated bunch and freely share our opinions. Don't know where you get that from.

Anyhow, I like it. Fits perfectly with the lines. Will be interesting to see how you do the plate and turn signals. I'm thinking smaller (minimalist) LED type turn signals would work nicely.

"For some reason you seem to think we are an opinionated bunch and freely share our opinions. Don't know where you get that from."

Um, because he would be right in thinking that. This forum has the most opinionated bunch of regulars (people logged-in almost 24/7) that I've experienced.

Mod looks great by the way, regardless of those that may diss it.

Looks good. Never understood why the taillight is hanging off the back in the stock location. Really makes any tail tidy still look like an ugly fender IMO. Much prefer your setup.

Thanks everyone. I was more just joking about everyone giving me a hard time, everyone on here is pretty cool. I dont mind criticism anyway. I am going to be finishing the project up here hopefully this weekend, although my wedding might get in the way :) I told my girl no honeymoon until this light thing is finished. As I have said a hundred times on here, I was a service manager for Honda Motorcycles in a past life and everything I always did, and usually do was designed to look factory. I went a little outside of the box IMO with this one but I like it and I also agree that I think if I can pull it together, it will be cleaner than the tidy tail. i will keep you guys posted.

I've noticed what appear to be a lot of common parts with the new CBR650F. The tucked tail light is one of them. I wonder if the 650 tail light would plug right in?

Honda-CBR650F-rear-at-Auto-Expo-2014-1024x682.jpg

It also looks like the front forks/wheel/brakes are the same, except that the 650 uses dual front brakes. Who's got the deep pockets to start this mod?!?!

2014-Honda-CBR650F-brake.jpg

So after my second full day of cutting and fitting and cutting and ruining and gluing, I have no choice but to deem my attempt a fail. Although from a distance it does not look terrible, the gaps are way off. When I mocked everything up it fit perfect, but when it started going together, everything was off. It was an "Oh S*@t" moment for sure. The light is mounted very strong and everything mechanically works as it should but it is not pretty. I would say, to anyone who thinks this might be a good idea.....don't do it. I am sure there are more talented people out there with more skill and resources but it really is not worth it. Just buy a kit. I am going to try to clean the gaps up and still need to finish the sides of the light where it extends past the rear cowl. Here are some pictures.

undertail12.jpgundertail13.jpgundertail14.jpgundertail16.jpgundertail17.jpgundertail19.jpg

While it does look cleaner, I like the stock look. I don't even like the tidy tail. I like not having a mud line up my back also.

You did a lot of good work and if you think it looks bad, I should do one to make you feel a LOT better! ;)

Back