• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Florida is the Most Dangerous State to Ride!

If I had to go through that I won't ride. We have all rode in those areas that make or sphincter clinch but to do it day in and out. Not me.
but some days I find it just as bad out in the boonies where I live. The electrical lines actually stop at my house on the road I live on. My nearest neighbor are .5-2 miles away with nothing but trees in between. Spring and fall I have to worry about tractors, children, old farmers, the people who work in the city but live in the boonies (like me) and want to get home as fast as possible. The small highway and the road I live on have blind curves and blind hills; people are flying around those curves (usually on my side of the road) and I have to take action. Once while on my baby beemer, I had to hit the ditch around a blind curve because I met two cars racing side by side coming straight at me. Dumped the bike in the ditch-too slick with wet clay and drop-off but just a couple of scratches on the bike, my helmet and jacket. Of course the a$$hats didn't even stop.
Point is-no matter where you live, there are crazy, stupid cagers and while on the bike, you have to be cognizant of all your surroundings. I am not going to stop riding because of their stupidity.

People from other countries may not be used to the number of people in the US. Using Canada as a comparison. The US has 9.2 times greater population than Canada. One of our states, California, has a greater population than all of Canada. The 3 largest cities in the US have more population in all 3 cities than Canada's 3 largest cities. Canada has a population of approx. 35 million, while Florida (the original poster state he mentioned) has a population of approx. 20 million. The whole of Canada (which mass size is approx. to the size of the US) doesn't even have 2 times the population of Florida. Since we have 9.2 times greater population, I would speculate we have at least 9.2 times the number of a$$hats driving cars also. Remember, the US has the 3rd largest population in the world.
Ontario Canada is approx. 3.8 million sq miles. Florida is approx. 68000 (thousand) square miles-Ontario is 5 times larger than Florida, however, the population of Ontario is approx. 13.6 million people compared to Florida's approx. 20 million, and the Florida's statistics do not count the snowbirds-the Florida statistics are for permanent residents. Just more people in such a smaller area.

People from other countries may not be used to the number of people in the US. Using Canada as a comparison. The US has 9.2 times greater population than Canada. One of our states, California, has a greater population than all of Canada. The 3 largest cities in the US have more population in all 3 cities than Canada's 3 largest cities. Canada has a population of approx. 35 million, while Florida (the original poster state he mentioned) has a population of approx. 20 million. The whole of Canada (which mass size is approx. to the size of the US) doesn't even have 2 times the population of Florida. Since we have 9.2 times greater population, I would speculate we have at least 9.2 times the number of a$$hats driving cars also. Remember, the US has the 3rd largest population in the world.
Ontario Canada is approx. 3.8 million sq miles. Florida is approx. 68000 (thousand) square miles-Ontario is 5 times larger than Florida, however, the population of Ontario is approx. 13.6 million people compared to Florida's approx. 20 million, and the Florida's statistics do not count the snowbirds-the Florida statistics are for permanent residents. Just more people in such a smaller area.

Darn it, where were you when I needed you? Maybe I would have had fun and actually learned something, instead of skipping math classes in school, lol

This is why I prefer to go to Canada (or Alaska) for my vacations, not Florida.

Just throwing another stat out there. North Western Ontario that I'm from has about 70 percent of Ontario's mass and only about 10 percent of the population so I'm in a very remote area.

Don't get me wrong, I've rode in some very populated ares, including California (see map). But out west you have the ability to chose that better route. In Florida there is just very high volume of traffic everywhere but definitely better the farther north you go.

Just throwing another stat out there. North Western Ontario that I'm from has about 70 percent of Ontario's mass and only about 10 percent of the population so I'm in a very remote area.

Don't get me wrong, I've rode in some very populated ares, including California (see map). But out west you have the ability to chose that better route. In Florida there is just very high volume of traffic everywhere but definitely better the farther north you go.
Aye, the roads I like in FL have greatest hazard from wildlife.

There are areas in Florida I like to ride. Country roads between Gainesville and Ocala; the back country roads on the nature coast between Cedar Key and Homosassa-the short road from Hwy 19 to Ozello (sp?) island is the curviest road I have found in Florida.
Most riders in the US, especially urban riders, just don't have the time or money to go ride where there are no a$$hats.

Even though my commute daily to work is in Louisville, Ky; I live in southern Indiana and the best roads to ride in Indiana are just a few minutes from my house. I live close to Hwy IN135, IN66, IN62, IN37-I can be to Nashville IN (Brown County State Park) area in under an hour and ride the roads around Nashville. I can be in Madison IN in less than 30 minutes. I don't mind riding to work with the crazy cagers because after work, and once I cross back over to Indiana, I can choose numerous country roads/scenery on the way home. I can ride the Floyd Knobs (high hills with fantastic views), I can ride thru the Clark State Forest (that road thru the forest can pucker the novice rider), I can ride a country back road (good asphalt, little traffic) which has over a hundred curves in 4 miles.

There are areas in Florida I like to ride. Country roads between Gainesville and Ocala; the back country roads on the nature coast between Cedar Key and Homosassa-the short road from Hwy 19 to Ozello (sp?) island is the curviest road I have found in Florida.
Most riders in the US, especially urban riders, just don't have the time or money to go ride where there are no a$$hats.

Even though my commute daily to work is in Louisville, Ky; I live in southern Indiana and the best roads to ride in Indiana are just a few minutes from my house. I live close to Hwy IN135, IN66, IN62, IN37-I can be to Nashville IN (Brown County State Park) area in under an hour and ride the roads around Nashville. I can be in Madison IN in less than 30 minutes. I don't mind riding to work with the crazy cagers because after work, and once I cross back over to Indiana, I can choose numerous country roads/scenery on the way home. I can ride the Floyd Knobs (high hills with fantastic views), I can ride thru the Clark State Forest (that road thru the forest can pucker the novice rider), I can ride a country back road (good asphalt, little traffic) which has over a hundred curves in 4 miles.
My son went to college in Indy and I rode up there a few times. Headed north I would get off 65 or 75 southeast of St. Louis and cut across the corner of KY and cross into southern IN at the first Ohio River crossing east of St. Louis. Those were very nice roads in KY and IN along the Ohio. A couple times I came down through southern IN and cross the OH west of St. Louis.

Florida is a state with two very different personalities. As Ruggy said, along the I95 corridor, south of I4, or around any major city, all you will find are tourists, very heavy traffic and clueless drivers. But when you come up to north/central Florida west of I75 you will see some of the nicest riding in the south IMHO. This is horse and cow country so the scenery includes mile after mile of beautiful farms/ranches with very little traffic. From my home in Ocala I have explored most of the back roads west of Ocala and Gainesville and have found some great places to ride year round. The temp remains in the 60's and low 70's all winter, so I'm riding when some of you have your bikes stored for the winter. If you want curves...forget it! There are no curves in Florida. So next time you come south to Florida, stay away from Daytona and Orlando and try some of the back roads. I think you will be impressed.

Rich

What qualifies as a curvy road? Horse country is full of them.

IMG_9148_zpsfbf94116.jpg

Well I found a quiet road today. Straight as an arrow but quiet.

2015%2B-%2B1

Also stop by a field to check out the oranges. Notice my screen is missing. I sold it because it wasn't working g with my new AGV AX -8 helmet. Free air was so nice and quiet.

2015%2B-%2B1

Last edited:
Thanks for the pic RB. A shot of warm weather and a shot of vitamin C is just what I needed. It's flipp'n freezing here:(-:)!

Last edited:
Back