• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Time Out on Dirt

Re: the ABS/Linked part- (only a concern on 2012 XA and DCT models, the linked part was discontinued for the 2013 I think, right?)
My 2013 has linked brakes. They were discontinued in 2014. I like mine and think Honda should have kept them. Lots of concern from people decided they were a bad idea without trying them is probably why Honda dropped them.

My 2013 has linked brakes. They were discontinued in 2014. I like mine and think Honda should have kept them. Lots of concern from people decided they were a bad idea without trying them is probably why Honda dropped them.

Ah, that's right! Thanks. I'm starting to lose track of which had what, between model years, and US/Canada/rest of the world builds.

I was a firm anti-ABS and very much affirmed anti-Linked Brake torch and pitchfork guy, all my life. Especially after my first encounter with it, on my BMW (of course, lol)

But I instantly fell in love with the NCX ABS. I grudgingly found the Linked part to be a non-issue and pretty transparent in day to day use and I didn't find it all objectionable, until I rode with the ABS disabled, off road. Most people would probably not ride their bike with that fault until it was fixed, but if you are way out in the middle of nowhere and your ABS goes belly up, it's nice to be able to ride out and back home without any added grief thrown in through Linked brakes in squirrely gravel conditions, heh heh.

My understanding, the linked brake only activates one of the three pistons on the front brake. Is that enough to lock up the front?

It provides some braking to front with a delay before it starts. More on rear than front. Of course if applying both brakes then 3 pistons on front brake activated, but still no lockup because it has abs too.

My understanding, the linked brake only activates one of the three pistons on the front brake. Is that enough to lock up the front?

Just on gravel is what I was uncomfortable with. - I could feel the bike get out of sorts with just rear application, in situations where I didn't want to add accidental increased front brake any more than I already was using, lol.

Pavement, no sweat, because I am a heavy front brake fiend, and have no probs without ABS. Sketchy gravel with Albertan logging trucks 100+ kph right on my a$$, well I was a bit nervous picturing the outcome of a face plant due to a surprise wheel wash out, *gulp*

I think you'd have to be very aggressive with the use of the rear, or in very wet/slippery conditions on pavement to worry about locking the front with the added help of the rear, with the ABS disabled.

Last edited:
Back