• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Tank MPG

rocketman24

Reaction score
Visit site
So I filled my first tank after riding 208 miles. I got 72 MPG. Wonderful! I am really enjoying learning to ride. I went out for a 50 mile ride today and got a nail in the rear tire. Made it back to the shop and now I have to leave it there until next Thursday so they can order and install the new tire. :( But While it's there, I will get the rear carrier and center stand installed. I also hope the leg deflectors, foot deflectors, and ACC socket come in so they can be installed too.

The shop told me that the rear tire for the NC is not a typical standard width (160). I also wanted to get the OEM Metzler rear tire instead of another brand. I have a question to add to this post. Does anyone use Ride-On tire sealer in anything they own, be it car, bicycle, motorcyle, etc...? And what do you think of the product? My local shop told me about the sealant and after doing a little research, it seems like a good product.

Why didn't you have a boot put in the tire? A lot of car tire shops will do this for you. I had five in my front tire and it never went flat, just wore out.

The hole was in the typical driving line on the tire, but they said you shouldn't patch a motorcycle tire (and they would not). I am very mechanical, but my weakness is with tires. I don't know enough about them to be able to say much.

Does anyone use Ride-On tire sealer in anything they own, be it car, bicycle, motorcyle, etc...? And what do you think of the product?

I haven't used any of it, but have heard good things. Of course, it's only as good as the size of the hole in the tire. I do carry a tire plug and CO2 inflation kit in my VFR. I used it for a friends CBR a few years back and he said the plug lasted for a few months until he had to buy another rear tire. (worn out) I would have recommended you to "patch" that rear tire until it needs replacing. A lot of people don't recommend patches or plugs for bike tires. However, a plug is better than nothing, and a patch is better than a plug. I think it's ridiculous to have to replace a whole tire just for a small, repairable hole. But, "experts" out there will say that the hole compromises the integrity of the tire, and prevents it from being used to its full potential, i.e. cornering, traction, etc.

My $.02 :confused:

I've read that it heats up inside the tire and causes the pressure to increase to hazardous proportions. Also, for peace of mind, it's probably best to replace the tire rather than ride on a plug or patch. I carry a plug kit with a CO2 cannister inflator that will get me away from the scene of the flat, but will always replace it when I'm able. I would be a little hesitant to ride on 'less' than two good tires.

Edit: Having said all the above blather, it seems I'm thinking of another product called slime! Here's a link to a review of the product. Product Review - Ride-On Tire Sealant

Last edited:
And, keeping on topic. First time I filled my bike got 65.45 mpg. Second tank today and it achieved 69.03. And I'm not riding for economy, just doing my normal style riding.

And, keeping on topic. First time I filled my bike got 65.45 mpg. Second tank today and it achieved 69.03. And I'm not riding for economy, just doing my normal style riding.

Nice....and Honda claim 64MPG, so anything that we get above 64 is fantastic! Also off topic, last tank got me 73MPG. Currently on the 3rd tank of gas, riding normal, to and from work, 400+ miles already.

Hey Cyclerosis, is that Bruce Campbell as Bubba Hotep on your avatar?

Last edited:
On my last tank I rode 259.9 miles and got 75.5 mpg! I think that I could get 280+ miles on a tank if I take it easy on it! I like this bike!!

Thanks for your $.02 BigMike. I have a car that goes 150+ if I ever want to push it to that (I have had it to 122MPH), but they will patch that tire. I understand, yet I don't understand their idea. I am not a person who hot rods my NC. I take it slow and easy, especially while I am becoming accustomed to it.

So I filled my first tank after riding 208 miles. I got 72 MPG. Wonderful! I am really enjoying learning to ride. I went out for a 50 mile ride today and got a nail in the rear tire. Made it back to the shop and now I have to leave it there until next Thursday so they can order and install the new tire. :( But While it's there, I will get the rear carrier and center stand installed. I also hope the leg deflectors, foot deflectors, and ACC socket come in so they can be installed too.

Back to the original topic:
On my first three tanks, I have run 230 to 240 miles per tank, and each time filled to the brim with 3.00 US gallons +/- 0.03 gallons. Talk about consistency! The average overall is 78.75 mpg.

One thing I don't know yet is the accuracy of the odometer. It could be reading optimistic, and therefore inflating these MPG numbers.

I'm starting to ride the bike a little more aggressively now so I'll probably see an economy drop. Still, I'd expect it to stay in the 70's.

Sorry to hear about the nail. That's sad when it happens on a new tire. They say there are two kinds of motorcycle riders out there: those that have gotten a flat and those that will. You've fallen into the former group early on!

I usually carry a Stop n Go tire plugger kit. I have faith in them. I put one in a car tire once, still mounted on the car. Took 5-10 minutes the first time, reading instructions and all. No glue involved. That was 40,000 miles ago and it never leaked a bit. If I ever have a hole in the center tread (not the sidewall) of a motorcycle tire, I will plug it with one of these.

Greg

Last edited:
227 miles today. 80 mpg. I've got right around 1000 miles on her.

One of the guys I rode with today, gave me his #'s (distance & fuel volume) and I calculated it
for his VTX1800. He got just under 43 mpg.

227 miles today. 80 mpg. I've got right around 1000 miles on her.

One of the guys I rode with today, gave me his #'s (distance & fuel volume) and I calculated it
for his VTX1800. He got just under 43 mpg.

Wow! :D 80MPG!

Funny thing.......my VFR750 also gets 43mpg. Much faster than the NCX, though. :rolleyes:

Just filled up for the second time today. Thought the original 72 mpg was a fluke. Poor lighting, so I figured I hadn't filled the tank completely. So I get 72 mpg on this tank as well. Guess it must be true!
I have been riding gently during the break-in period. I'm doing about 50/50 in town and country road riding. Can't imagine getting all the way to 80 mpg unless it's mostly 50 to 60 mph touring.
I'd like to hear what the conditions were for getting to 80 mpg. I want to be able to say I can get that kind of mileage if I want to ride it frugally.
Did I mention that I love the motor?

The guy leading us rolled up and down between 55-65 mph. -Very unlike what I do when im riding by myself. I try to keep a constant speed. Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time watching the speedo, trying to keep it constant, instead of watching for obstacles/hazzards. Anyway, we made several (IDK, maybe 10 or so) passes of
slower vehicles. Not exactly ideal conditions for maximizing the mpg.
Still got 80.

Last edited:
I remember reading from one of the posts on here that some center stands were shipped with the bikes. I got lucky to get mine when I bought the bike two weeks ago.

I remember reading from one of the posts on here that some center stands were shipped with the bikes. I got lucky to get mine when I bought the bike two weeks ago.

Hi rocketman

This is definitely not the "norm". Most of the posts from this forum and others, showed that the NC X or S did not come with the mainstand as standard.
You are lucky, as you said.
:p

Back