• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

First Ride

TrailtrekerNJ

Reaction score
Visit site
Was able to clock 35 miles today, after completing some chores around the house.
Throttle response.
Shifting.
Trunk. Swallows up all the stuff I normally carried in a tank bag, plus some.
Location of gas tank fill. Nice in that it would prevent theft of gas and/or someone contaminating gas.
Dislikes: OEM windshield, too much wind buffeting and noise. Going to order a Madstad windshield.
Sitting position, seat to low, long legs at an angle causing pressure on hips.
Butt stop, i.e. passenger seat, would like to be able to slide back on seat and maybe reduce leg angle/hip pressure.
All the computer settings. Still studying the manual.
Up in the air: Location of gas tank fill. If loaded up for long trip would have to remove luggage to get to it.
ABS brakes. Never had before.
Still, it's only been 35 miles and I have to get accustomed to the bike and break it in.

Was able to clock 35 miles today, after completing some chores around the house.
Throttle response.
Shifting.
Trunk. Swallows up all the stuff I normally carried in a tank bag, plus some.
Location of gas tank fill. Nice in that it would prevent theft of gas and/or someone contaminating gas.
Dislikes: OEM windshield, too much wind buffeting and noise. Going to order a Madstad windshield.
Sitting position, seat to low, long legs at an angle causing pressure on hips.
Butt stop, i.e. passenger seat, would like to be able to slide back on seat and maybe reduce leg angle/hip pressure.
All the computer settings. Still studying the manual.
Up in the air: Location of gas tank fill. If loaded up for long trip would have to remove luggage to get to it.
ABS brakes. Never had before.
Still, it's only been 35 miles and I have to get accustomed to the bike and break it in.
My list of "issues" is pretty much the same as yours. I went with the Givi windshield. Just remove OEM and put it on using same 4 bolts. 5 minutes work. Madstad looks like a days work. I have some SW-Motech Ion foot pegs on the way so I can lower the pegs. Just 15 mm but hoping it helps my old hips. Plan on adding some bar risers so I am not leaned over as much. Need to find a pair that won't require any cable rework. And, I know a new seat will be needed at some point and hope I can get a little height there as well. Finally, eventually add crash bars and include some highway pegs so I can stretch out my legs. Oh, I just got some Oxford Heated Grips in the mail today. I think my bike budget is shot for the month...

Hour at most.
The Madstad pictures and diagrams are the choke point in my experience.
Agreed. Install is actually pretty easy. Only takes an hour if you include the time it takes to find & put away your tools.

Hour at most.
The Madstad pictures and diagrams are the choke point in my experience.
About 3 times the cost of the Givi as well. But Madstad has a nice feature in that you can adjust the windshield AND you also get a support bar. Of course you need that support bar as the windshield looks pretty massive. And for 2021+ it sure looks like a lot more than an hour: Madstad Install 2021+

About 3 times the cost of the Givi as well. But Madstad has a nice feature in that you can adjust the windshield AND you also get a support bar. Of course you need that support bar as the windshield looks pretty massive. And for 2021+ it sure looks like a lot more than an hour: Madstad Install 2021+
My understanding is that the Givi is a simple barrier placed in front of the rider. The Madstad design sets the screen ahead of the mount to allow air flow behind the screen as well as in front of it. The flow behind the screen acts to intersect with the main flow at the top of the screen, and thereby directs the main air flow higher above the helmet. The result is a screen that the rider easily looks over, but has air directed above the helmet for reduced buffeting and noise.

Yes, the Madstad is more complicated and expensive. Even if it did take a day to install, it would be worth it, IMO.

I noticed this winter, an incredible amount of air comes up thru the fairing tunnel around the front forks. Dont think it helps with behind the shield airflow, but there was a few times I wished there was some kind bib that blocked that area

I am 6 foot tall. I have had the GIVI since the bike was new. (1 year 13,000 miles) I get no buffeting with the GIVI and find it is just right, I can see over it. And it looks good.

Congratulations on your new bike and the first ride experience. One of the things that make the NC700/750 great for me is the lack of focus the bike has out of the box. It can be made to handle a variety of rider needs or desires. It's a blank canvas.

Speaking to the windshield decision "time" and "effort" and even "money" are subjective. If the Madstad was $400 and took a week to install it would still be worth it to me. I'll own the bike more than a week and I ride 20 to 30,000 miles year. I want stuff that makes the bike work for me. Cost per mile or year is minor if I enjoy it and get use out of it.

I have a Madstad on my NC and my Wing and last fall a buzzard (turkey vulture) strike took the screen off the Wing at 65 mph. Part of the base broke off but the mounting brackets held and the bird, while shattering the shield itself, was deflected up and over my helmet. I don't know how any other shield would have done, maybe just as well but I doubt it as the required bracketry helps steady and support it. As soon as I got back from the trip I bought a replacement shield. I wouldn't consider changing windshield types.

congrats.
I did the sw pegs as well and for the windscreen I put on a puig extender. I get no buffeting even wearing my DS helmet.
something like this but I got it from cycle gear and it was from puig.

cycle gear gave you different width options.

I’ve only done a few miles on my 2021 but at 6’2” I find there is some buffeting and wind noise but I don’t find it bothersome.

From reports I’d read I was expecting it to be far worse.

Back