• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Finally lowered the bike!!!

Are there other lowering links for the NC out there?
Soupy's link looks interesting. The bearings don't appear to be as robust as the stock needle bearings. With no obvious dust seal showing, or zerk fitting to grease them... They will fill with crud and need to be taken apart to clean, or replace the spherical bearings at some point.

Are there other lowering links for the NC out there?
Soupy's link looks interesting. The bearings don't appear to be as robust as the stock needle bearings. With no obvious dust seal showing, or zerk fitting to grease them... They will fill with crud and need to be taken apart to clean, or replace the spherical bearings at some point.

The Soupy adjustable links for the NC700X look like they are just threaded rod ends with a centre hex section to make them adjustable length-wise. No spherical or other type of bearings are in them that I can see.

nc700x links.jpg

As per all the other brands of (non adjustable) links available for the NCX, there is no need to have any bearings. (Over, Lust, etc.)

lust links.jpg

Some other bike models need bearings in the links because of their suspension design, but not the 700X. It's pivot plates contain the bearings, the links are just locators.

i just shaved half inch of foam from the seat. easiest and cheapest substitute to lowering the whole thing.
this also partially solved the 'problem' with wind noise on piug screen. if i cut another half- i would have a perfect position relative to the windshield. and on top of that-i won't need any risers. win win

Last edited:
i like to have some options. with lowered seat you can always put something more comfortable on top. sheepskin,gel pad whatever,if you going for a long trip. then i would stand on my toes. but for a short trip,or uneven pavement-i really like to be on my feet. but the biggest reason is the angle of the seat itself. i always find myself sort of sliding down. so i shaved more at the back of the front seat,making it somewhat flatter. worked for me.
0b8155c791fb.jpg

21e0c31da642.jpg

My homemade links dropped bike 1-1/2"- fits my 29" inseam perfectly

I fabricated several different sets of lowering links to try on my NC700X by drilling stock steel plate 3/16"x 1-1/4" . I eventually settled in on a set of links with the holes drilled at 145cm on-center. This link hole length lowered the rear of the bike approx 1- 1/2". I also lowered the front fork tree 1/2". With a 29" inseam, this drop now has me solidly flatfooted with a slight knee bend when setting on the bike. After settling on the 145CM link, I removed 1-1/16" from the side kickstand. The section of kick-stand removed, was cut out between the two pipe protrusions (the inside spring mount and the outer-side peg).

After settling in at the 145cm OC holes, I contacted Kouba link, planning to order their set. Their link set is drilled at 140cm, so I just polished mine up (ground off the corners) and then painted the set, and reinstalled them. At this point I do not see any reason to do anything else.

Incidentally, the factory links' holes were at 133cm OC. Also, the hole diameter for the factory link set was equivalent to either and "X" or "Y" drill bit - I don't remember exactly. Either way, I drilled my holes with a 25/64" drill bit (if I remember correctly) and followed up with a Dremel tool to remove approx 1 or 2 thousands of an inch. It only took about 10 seconds to remove the excess. The only thing I would highly recommend, is that you clamp the two link plates together when drilling, so that both sets have the holes drilled at exactly the same distance.

I decided I wanted my bike to look a little meaner so I lowered the front end 1.25 inches. The end result to me was a win win. The bike has a much nicer stance and it handles and feels great to me. I like the little bit of sport bike feel it added and it even seems to have helped with the front end wobbling. I will throw some pictures up tomorrow when I get a chance.

No cutting. Loosen the triple clamp and slide the forks through a bit. That's why an inch or so about all you can get. There is thread somewhere around here about it.

Gigs

I'm sorry if I just missed it but were there ever pictures of the 700X lowered 3" in rear and 1" in front. Not an engineer but it seems like it would alter the handling and maybe upset the rear suspension or am I way off on my perceptions.
Boz

Back