• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Farkles, winter gas, and MPG

mcook

Reaction score
Visit site
In the couple of months since installing the Puig touring screen and Barkbusters hand guards, I've noticed a consistent drop in mileage, with an 8-tank average at 60. The first two 8-tank groups late last summer, when I got the bike, averaged 63 mpg. (Non-DCT bike.) I should mention that I've been running the tail trunk more often lately as well.

I realize it's a small change but it's clearly there. It'll be interesting to see what happens when we switch away from our winter gas here in CA.

Anyone else noticed seasonal variations?

I haven't checked per tank.but i seem to lose one bar on the gauge every 50 miles.at next fill up i will have to keep track of it and find out what im getting.

I have a friend that works for a fuel delivery company and he said they put more additives in the gas during winter months which means less MPG.

Yeah, I was getting 65mpgs avg. Now about 60 is what I get as well. Got 56mpgs on one tank a couple tanks ago and actually ran out of gas because my fuel gauge is off and at the 65mpgs I was getting before I should have made it to the next station where I planned on filling up.

So far I have mainly been using mine for a weekly "Sunday" drive. I have 3650 miles on it and have been averaging 77 mpg. On 3 full tanks I have been over 80. I have the Calsci medium shield, try to stay out of traffic and ride mostly between 60 and 65 mph. Looking at my gas spreadsheet I don't see an obvious trend and after the fact wouldn't even attempt to correlate for fuel blend, wind and temperature. ed

Coincidentally, I just came from Fuelly looking at mileage reports for the NC. When you go to individual owners, there is a distinct drop around October. Makes sense to me between winter gas and lowered thermal engine efficiency in the winter. My car drops by perhaps 10 percent in the winter.

I read a lot on the internet about winter gasoline and lower mpg. In several years of tracking EVERY tank in all my vehicles, I see no such effect. I do see a gradual decline as winter temperatures drop (or rather, I _did_ when I lived where it was very cold), but I also see a drop as summer temps climb and I'm using the A/C a lot again (remember than winter uses the A/C compressor on a car a lot, too, while the defroster is on). Spring and fall yield me the highest mpg in climates where A/C is regularly used in the summer. Summers show highest mpg where A/C isn't needed or used. The bikes have shown similar trends, though of course summer heat doesn't cause the A/C to come on. LOL!

My bike are stock... Stock windscreen and everything... My MPG has been around 75...

I always knew that a bigger screen will decrease the MPG by a little... Tail bag/trunk another few mpg less... I have not use for any of those so far as I have no need for them yet...

Back