• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Failed Valve adjustment need help.

I'm in agreement with you, L.B.S. The line you highlighted is key.

The only exact likeness that I know of between the NC700 and the Fit/Jazz is the cylinder bore dimension. The stroke, the valve train, etc are not the same between the two engines, AFAIK.

The point is, the design philosophy of the NC engine comes from the car engine, but saying it is "half a Fit engine" is speaking metaphorically.

Greg
79 MPG Club :)

The bore and stroke of the 1339cc version of the Honda L engine design, (divided by 2 equals: 669.5cc) is the same, @ 73.0 mm X 80.00 mm but aside from that, the whole rest is different, as far as I can see.

-different sparkplug amounts per cyl
-different cyl inclination to the block
-2-1 blended intake port
-SOHC with 4 valves versus 2 per cyl
-inlet valve timing different between cyls, not using VTEC
-architecture of engine regarding placement of starter motor
-architecture of engine regarding belt driven accessories
-architecture of engine regarding Stator vs Alternator
-crankshaft with 270* twist

Etc. I mean there are tons of differences, really.

Last edited:
We're not getting much done at work today, are we? :rolleyes:

Greg

PS. Thanks for doing that research in engine differences. The engine I was thinking of was the 1494 cc Fit engine, which has a 73mm bore but an 89.4mm stroke.

This shared technology is not new to Honda or other motor companies......
Honda examples in the last 30 years:

1982 CX 500 turbo first vehicle Honda fuel injected.......1986 Accord first FI car much the same parts and technology.

HONDAMATIC 2 speed Semi automatic car transmission......same technology and parts in the motorcycle automatic truly an automatic not to be confused with DCT. By the way DCT will likely come to Honda cars some time.

Engines........Honda has had every configuration imaginable just in cam placement and drives, belt, gear, chain, over head, twin cam, 4 cam etc variable valve timing in cars that came to motorcycle the list goes on and on. Honda small engines are now overhead cam rubber belt drive in oil.

Honda outboards .........Civic and Accord engine blocks turned on end 4 and 6 cylinder........fuel injected on the newer stuff. Surprise.....industry leader in low noise, emissions and fuel economy.
Personal watercraft now discontinued.......turbo 4 stroke motorcycle engines used.

Modern ABS modulators look the same as cars software and number channels is the difference.....same goes for traction control.

Last edited:
My DCT shifts gears with no input from me. I thought that was automatic. What is "truly an automatic"?

Terminology trying to save words and not confuse fluid drive automatics with DCT automatics. Plus was trying to avoid confusing CVT and DCT which are two completely different technologies.

You are right your DCT does shift automatically. DCT is a different technology than the conventional automatic found in cars that have a torque converter. A few cars have used DCT recently trying to get better efficiency and economy.........controlling heat and gear noise have been the challenges in the car designs.

HONDAMATIC was a semi automatic.
Conventional Automotive automtic trans use Torque converter with hydraulic pressure applied clutch packs or bands for each gear with sometimes car use planetary gear sets, honda cars do not use planetary gear set automatics just clutch packs.
The motorcycle and car HONDAMATIC was a two speed had a torque converter but you manually shifted between first and second. No plantary gears no frills and shared technology and parts in there day.

Last edited:
I thought I read somewhere that the NC connecting rods and ......... (forgot what) are the same as the Fit/Jazz....

Doesn't matter to me as long as it goes and goes and goes! (and gets good gas mileage)

Back