• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extreme Farkling Deux : Auxiliary Fuel Tank

JoeTx

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Something I have been thinking about for a while. Numerous others have boldly gone before me and this is my take from their endeavors. 1st It has to be elegant, no mismatched parts and fittings it has to look good and detailed. 2nd the auxiliary tank is a gravity feed system; therefore think big pipe and easy flow. That's why I went big with 10 AN. 3rd Easy removal; even-though the tank weights ounces there will be times where I don't want to be carrying the tank so I wanted easy removal.

Our fuel pump -cute !!
WP_20150824_13_13_57_Pro.jpg
I had a idea, and during my maintenance down time ( new chain, fender extenda, tire hugger, valve check and oil change, Wilbers rear, Andreani cartilages up front) thought I'd pull the tank and get my fitting welded on with help from Miller's Machine & Welding cost was 50 bucks. Mr. Miller reported the tank was like paper and this was no job for an amateur. He did did a fantastic job as you can see.
WP_20150824_17_35_49_Pro.jpg
The reason I used an "O"ring type fitting because I wanted my seal to be from mechanics rather than brute force, to be used over and over again.
When tank not in use, a simple plug almost finger tight is used.
This project would not be possible with out Dale's rack and I kept the damage slight, simple 1" hole and 4 bolt holes, the rack is built like the battle ship Texas, no damage done.
WP_20150905_19_27_45_Pro.jpg
Our motorcycles have a evaporative emission system (?) You need need to valve out the vent line from main tank or otherwise you will draw gasoline from your vent line when using the auxilary tank. I believe a solenoid opens at start up and vacuum draws gas or vapors from this line. Honda Tee Honda 16960-ME9-000 - PIPE, THREE WAY JOINT : Babbitts Honda Partshouse is really a well built tee worth the money. BTW I tried to go over the top with this and believe it or not costs were not that bad
Tank = 190.00$ https://www.spunaluminumgastanks.com/
Fittings = 150.00$ http://www.summitracing.com/?
gclid=CJmynoyp4ccCFZKFaQod7xkM2w

WP_20150905_19_28_09_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_19_28_19_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_19_29_16_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_19_29_31_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_19_29_41_Pro.jpg
WP_20150905_19_29_54_Pro.jpg

Last edited:
That is extremely well done, but I think I would feel like I was riding with a bomb behind me.

Is your total gallons within Iron Butt standards?

Awesome! How many gallons does the tank hold? Wondering what your range is now with this installed....

All the IBA riders and distance riders are going to be really interested in this!

Last edited:
Love the welded inlet, AN fittings, and stainless hose. I have seen more than one leaker from kludged bulkhead fittings. Nice work.

Some questions...

1) Do you have to fill both tanks, or just the upper. (With the one on my BMW, the gravity transfer line was too slow to use the aux. tank fill only. I filled the stock tank, closed it, and then filled the aux tank. I had an emergency isolation valve between them that normally remained open unless I happened to want to open the lower tank with gas above.)

2) Did you relocate the roll-over vent to the aux. tank or install a new separate roll-over valve?

3) Did you vent the aux. tank through the charcoal filter or directly?

The tank is rated for 4 gallons
No just using the lower tank now the bung is at the highest point in the tank so when filling through the lower tank fill doesn't effect the upper.
For a rollover just using a check valve from a gas powered hobby shop, you off road guys would really need to install one. They were kinda bulky looking.
When running on the lower all tanks are vented together, when the top tank is filled I use a simple plastic snap clamp to shut off the lower line and just keeping the top tank connected to the EVAP system, wanted every thing simple.
With a 10 AN line and fittings you have a great flow, way more than what the fuel pump will pull, a shut off valve was never considered, never thought I'd be removing the tank with gas in it. They make a cool drip free quick connect, but they're expensive.
Really, really bummed was planning on doing a Tour of Heroes IBA ride with visiting the San Antonio 9/11 monument on 9/11 but we have a front blowing through and here I sit

Good work but I just don't understand it's purpose. I live I a rural area and never needed an extra tank and if I did I would just get a Rotopax fuel pack and dump the fuel in when I needed it.

41WOHhNoRBL.jpg

Good work but I just don't understand it's purpose. I live I a rural area and never needed an extra tank and if I did I would just get a Rotopax fuel pack and dump the fuel in when I needed it.

Ride with me some in Mexico and Alaska and you will understand the need, and it's purpose. Joe Tx has ridden with me, and I know he understands. Some times the distance to the next fillup stop is around 300 miles, some times you just miss a gas stop, and sometimes the gas stop has gone out of business. It is always better to be prepared.

When running on the lower all tanks are vented together, when the top tank is filled I use a simple plastic snap clamp to shut off the lower line and just keeping the top tank connected to the EVAP system, wanted every thing simple.

The way I ran mine, was even simpler. Leave the lower vent plugged. When the upper tank is empty, the lower tank can vent quite nicely through the 10AN fitting and the empty upper tank. I relocated my stock rollover, but without a good rollover (check Summit Racing) in the upper tank, in a spill you might flood the canister and create a hard start / rich running condition. I fixed this by venting through a PCV filter into atmosphere. I know, I should be ashamed.

With a 10 AN line and fittings you have a great flow, way more than what the fuel pump will pull, a shut off valve was never considered, never thought I'd be removing the tank with gas in it. They make a cool drip free quick connect, but they're expensive.

Bear in mind that flow through a fuel pump is at high pressure and is much greater for a given line size than gravity flow through a (very) muffled vent. I never thought I'd be removing the tank with gas in it either - until I did. After the mess that followed from trying to remove and cap the hose, I installed a valve. The drip-free quick disconnects have a very restricted orifice in them and they reduce your 10AN hose to about a 6AN flow. I ended up removing them and consider them only good for pressure lines.

I understand it's not for everyone, just a little tinkering on my bike. It's something I enjoy to do and these bikes were just made for it; However the suspension upgrade really made the biggest difference. I'll keep that in mind Beemerphile probably just drain it via the vent tubing on the main tank if I needed to. That's why I love our forum, being new to all of this you guys give me all sorts of ideas and advice to step out of my comfort zone and even attempt these mods. thanks.

Since I'm a cheap, oops I mean thrifty type of person, I have my own solution that is infinitely simple and totally free.
When I am thinking about riding where gas stations may be few and far between, I can easily carry 5 liters in two 2 1/2 liter Shasta cola bottles.
I has tested these bottles by filling one up with gas, capping it and just letting it sit in a metal pan in my garage for a week. The bottle remained soft and flexible with no issues. I then decided to put it outside on my pool deck still tightly capped, in the hot SoCal sun for 3 days and again, the results were the same. No issues. The final test after all this torture was to drop it 2 or 3 times from my shoulder height, about 5 feet, onto concrete, and guess what....no issues at all.
So I feel pretty confident that they will survive a weekend or longer secured in my side panniers with no issues.

Since I'm a cheap, oops I mean thrifty type of person, I have my own solution that is infinitely simple and totally free.
When I am thinking about riding where gas stations may be few and far between, I can easily carry 5 liters in two 2 1/2 liter Shasta cola bottles.
I has tested these bottles by filling one up with gas, capping it and just letting it sit in a metal pan in my garage for a week. The bottle remained soft and flexible with no issues. I then decided to put it outside on my pool deck still tightly capped, in the hot SoCal sun for 3 days and again, the results were the same. No issues. The final test after all this torture was to drop it 2 or 3 times from my shoulder height, about 5 feet, onto concrete, and guess what....no issues at all.
So I feel pretty confident that they will survive a weekend or longer secured in my side panniers with no issues.
May work. May be safe for you. It is totally illegal to store gas in an unapproved container. Get caught filling or carrying gas in soda bottle and you will likely receive a fine.

I'd want to be more than "pretty confident" if I was going to strap a couple of bombs to my bike. Why not use an approved container for something as dangerous as gasoline? It can't be the money. I know it is widely done, but I hope you will consider, or at the least, that no-one is encouraged to follow your lead. A lot more testing that what you have done is required for the approval of a fuel container.

I went for the gas container walmart sells. 1 gallon...heavy red plastic...with the nozzle designed to safely pour gasoline ... still pretty cheap...at $10.
'Haven't used it, but if I ever do, I want to strap it to the front side of whatever top box I'm using.
gascan.jpg

Last edited:
I have 2 each, red plastic safety cans, 1.25 and 2 gallon that I put in a pizza delivery bag to carry 12 miles to my farm. With a little over fill I can carry 7.6 gallons that short distance, with no problem.
I also have put about a haft quart of gasoline in an oil bottle for the occasional emergency use, but feel even the best auxiliary set up is too dangerous on a bike. Carrying gas in safety cans on a bike is dangerous enough.
Gasoline is like nitro glycerin, IMO.......very dangerous. Inside a vehicle fuel tank is the only good place for it.

Something I have been thinking about for a while. Numerous others have boldly gone before me and this is my take from their endeavors. 1st It has to be elegant, no mismatched parts and fittings it has to look good and detailed. 2nd the auxiliary tank is a gravity feed system; therefore think big pipe and easy flow. That's why I went big with 10 AN. 3rd Easy removal; even-though the tank weights ounces there will be times where I don't want to be carrying the tank so I wanted easy removal.

Our fuel pump -cute !!
View attachment 26239
I had a idea, and during my maintenance down time ( new chain, fender extenda, tire hugger, valve check and oil change, Wilbers rear, Andreani cartilages up front) thought I'd pull the tank and get my fitting welded on with help from Miller's Machine & Welding cost was 50 bucks. Mr. Miller reported the tank was like paper and this was no job for an amateur. He did did a fantastic job as you can see.
View attachment 26350
The reason I used an "O"ring type fitting because I wanted my seal to be from mechanics rather than brute force, to be used over and over again.
When tank not in use, a simple plug almost finger tight is used.
This project would not be possible with out Dale's rack and I kept the damage slight, simple 1" hole and 4 bolt holes, the rack is built like the battle ship Texas, no damage done.
View attachment 26351
Our motorcycles have a evaporative emission system (?) You need need to valve out the vent line from main tank or otherwise you will draw gasoline from your vent line when using the auxilary tank. I believe a solenoid opens at start up and vacuum draws gas or vapors from this line. Honda Tee Honda 16960-ME9-000 - PIPE, THREE WAY JOINT : Babbitts Honda Partshouse is really a well built tee worth the money. BTW I tried to go over the top with this and believe it or not costs were not that bad
Tank = 190.00$ https://www.spunaluminumgastanks.com/
Fittings = 150.00$ http://www.summitracing.com/?
gclid=CJmynoyp4ccCFZKFaQod7xkM2w

View attachment 26233
View attachment 26234
View attachment 26235
View attachment 26236
View attachment 26237
View attachment 26238

I like projects such as this.

This reminds me of when I installed an AirDog Lift Pump on my 2008 RAM 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins. The process was just about the same. It took my nephew and I about 3 hours to it. How long did this take you to do?

Kudos to you JoeTX on a job well done!!!

If I ever get to the point where I have ALL my other projects taken care of, I have considered building an oversized tank for my NC. My thought was that I'd add on to the existing tank. I'd remove the pax seat and extend the fuel tank up behind the driver's seat. I could cover the aluminum tank with fiberglass to make it look nice and integrate the look with the factory styling.

My plan would be to turn the tank into a backrest. I'd add a new fuel filler cap on top of the new tank and would remove and/or disable the original fuel filler port.

I think I could do it and I think I could make it look pretty great. I don't know **why** I'd do it other than to satisfy my need to tinker with pretty much everything I've ever owned. Just spitballing some dimensions, I'd expect to gain around 2 to 2-1/2 gallons. I don't know why I'd ever need a bike with a 400 mile range versus the stock 250 miles.

Still something fun to think about. It'd give me a reason to buy that TIG welder I've been lusting over! :)

Back