• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Extra fuel storage. MSR bottles mounted.

JDE

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
Finally got around to mounting my two MSR fuel bottles and the "tool tubes" (purchased from a tractor supply store).
I used zip ties for most of the mounting except for the metal bracket I got at Lowes put under the top box. I bolted that to the top box for extra stability.

So far it has with stood riding at freeway speeds on bumpy roads with winds gusty above 30mph. So I think it's gonna hold even with just zip ties holding on the tubes. I packed extra zip ties in the frunk in case any look like they are failing. If I find I have to replace them too often I'll try something more permanent.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365983924061.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365983924061.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 2,080
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365983933385.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365983933385.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,801
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365983941977.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365983941977.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 2,119
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365983951231.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365983951231.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,902
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365983961984.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365983961984.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,690
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365983976618.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365983976618.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 2,053
That looks really slick, I'd like to do it because it looks cool but dont think I would ever have the need for that kind of range without taking a butt break anyway. Good idea for someone who does more of the adventure thing though.

Very slick looking :cool:

The only thing I might caution against, is the possibility of the plastic mounts cracking or breaking off. I have heard of a few of those mounting ears snapping off from flex/vibration. I know it would mess with the nice aesthetics going on, but is there any way you could rig up a safety "back up", to keep the tube attatched to the bike should the mounts fail?

For me, I had the MSR bottles just hose clamped to the luggage rack (BMW) but added a zip tie from the lid's loop up to the rack just in case.

Booster rockets. Cool. Haha

+1 adds to the overall look imho
Can confirm that zip ties are one of the best human inventions. Many years ago, I lost final exhaust part on my car, actually started dragging on the street behind me. Used bunch of zip ties to fix it to chassis so I can continue driving safely with intention to change the destroyed rubber support later.
Never did it, kept driving it like that and sold a car after 2 years. Zip ties were 20 cm long, less than 1 cm wide and 2mm thick.

30oz a piece for a total of 60oz equals 0.46gals. So maybe 25-30miles depending on how you ride. Should be more than enough to get to the next gas station.

Darn, I bought the 20 oz bottles locally today at REI while waiting for my tool tubes to arrive in the mail. I guess I will just exchange them for the 30 oz ones. I'll know when the tool tubes in my hands but do you think they can mount vertically on the frame downtubes behind the radiator? I saw a BMW GS650 with mega-sized tubes mounted there and they gave the rider's legs a small amount of wind protection without adding much frontal area.

Last edited:
I have four of those mounted on my bike. Two on the case guard, I have my tool kit, chail lube and tire repair kit in them. And one on each side in front of the saddle bags for water. Also have a nano tube on the right upper case gard for maps. NanoTube, Nano tube, compact tool tube, motorcycle tire repair tool storage tube. I have found I need water for me more than gas for the bike. When I tour, I start looking for gas when the fuel gage gets to 1/2 full.

I have four of those mounted on my bike. Two on the case guard, I have my tool kit, chail lube and tire repair kit in them. And one on each side in front of the saddle bags for water. Also have a nano tube on the right upper case gard for maps. NanoTube, Nano tube, compact tool tube, motorcycle tire repair tool storage tube. I have found I need water for me more than gas for the bike. When I tour, I start looking for gas when the fuel gage gets to 1/2 full.

Could you post up some pics of your setup?

Finally got around to mounting my two MSR fuel bottles and the "tool tubes" (purchased from a tractor supply store).
I used zip ties for most of the mounting except for the metal bracket.
If you have some isopropyl alcohol, wet a cloth and rub to easily remove the yellow printing on the plastic tubes.

lol

Well, the way I look at it, 60 oz is almost 1/2 a gallon, right? So that could represent as much as 35 miles less far to push, heehee.

Absolutely the point my good man. Plus it was easy to do and didn't take much time at all. Well worth it to me to make sure I can make it to the next gas station if my fuel gauge ever lies to me again.;):p

Absolutely the point my good man. Plus it was easy to do and didn't take much time at all. Well worth it to me to make sure I can make it to the next gas station if my fuel gauge ever lies to me again.;):p

I know that feeling all too well...:rolleyes:

At the risk of repeating a picture from a similar thread topic a while back, (and forgive me, *boo* *hiss* my old bike and not my NC) this is something applicable nevertheless I think. I will probably duplicate a couple bottles in various locations, and not shown, is a 1 gal. Rotopax that I also have that will find a home.

I was bristling with MSR bottles, lol. See if you can find them all :eek:

IMG_0126.jpg

Back