• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ever Wonder What the Temperature is at Riding Speeds.

Add 25* if you are wearing dark gear in hot sun in summertime.

It is weird how once you hit 90ish that the temperature doesn't change. I may not according to this chart but I'll tell you it feels much better with wind pushing against you that it does sitting still when it is 100 degrees out.

That chart does seem a little on the "cold" side. Here's another one that puts the the temps a little higher. I've ridden in 19 degree weather at 70MPH and the Gerbings gear could barely keep up with the chill.

windchill.gif

The "Ever Wonder What the Temperature is at Riding Speeds" does not include the use of a windshield. Yes, the windshield does make a huge difference.

It is weird how once you hit 90ish that the temperature doesn't change. I may not according to this chart but I'll tell you it feels much better with wind pushing against you that it does sitting still when it is 100 degrees out.
You can thank evaporative cooling for that one.

Experienced long distance riders know that by the time temps rise to upper 90s keep all your skin covered. Excessive sweating leads to very quick dehydration and as you see in OCRs chart wind chill makes you even hotter.

Was riding in death valley one time, it was over 115. I think the record for that area is 123. I made the mistake of standing on the pegs to try and get a little air. That was like going from the oven to the microwave. In extreme heat stay behind the windshield.

That chart does seem a little on the "cold" side. Here's another one that puts the the temps a little higher. I've ridden in 19 degree weather at 70MPH and the Gerbings gear could barely keep up with the chill.

windchill.gif

That is the "new" windchill formula.

The formula was changed to account for how the wind was measured.
Winds are generally measured "aloft" meaning that the wind speed on the ground around trees and houses and the like ends up being significantly slower. On a motorcycle, with still wind, not drafting any trucks/cars, your speedo is a reflection of the actual air movement around you, and the old wind chill formula is actually more accurate.

Of course, it's a measure on exposed skin... And when you are all covered it doesn't mean near as much (there are formulas for that too using the CLO factor of clothing, but they are all very subjective based on what you find a comfortable temp without clothing)

All I know is I rode 55 miles, at 65 miles per hour, in 25F weather last night. My cold weather gloves and heated grips were no match (fingertips). The rest of me was just fine though, with a FirstGear one-piece and Freeze-Out base layers.

What I find interesting is the higher temperatures on the chart. The chart shows temperature increases with speed, in the heat.

Back