• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine vibrates at 4000 rpm

Well I don't know boyz-n-girlz. Tonight I went out for a ride on the NC with the expressed goal of finding something I didn't like about the power delivery. I mean it has some vibes and shudders at different places, but I thought they all did. I think Honda even built some vibes in so we wouldn't get bored - boy I bet they wish they had that one back. I tried to find a "thrum thrum" at 3,000 and a vibration that didn't make me want to ride any faster at 4,000. I waited on the transmission to get "crunchy" on me but it only snicked. I shifted it at 5,000 and ran some nice curvy roads at 75 or so (4,000 rpm). I even think it has adequate power to entertain me.

For the life of me, I find no fault with this bike. What am I doing wrong? Am I expecting too little?

Except, of course, the seat.

Greg

Oh that seat!! Looks great, but it gets to my hot spots real quick. I am sure one day there will be a comfy aftermarket seat made and this problem will be solved that some of us are experiencing. I bought the NCX for riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, the challenging roads of WNC, Northeast GA, Northwest SC and Western TN. The four corners. I am going to try and solve the seat problem asap to get through the cooler weather here in east central FL. I hit 300 miles finally and dumped the oil and filter. Something I do after a break in period. At 600 miles I am going to do the service without changing the oil and filter. I talked to Honda and they are working with me on the service. I broke in the X easy for the first 50 miles then rode it like I would any other time. I did not go over 4,000 rpms for the first 300 miles even on the highway. I was doing the speed limit 70 mph at 4,000 rpms. Then after I changed the oil and filter I gave it a little more rpm but the X and I like 2500 - 4000 rpm. I did do 80 mph 5000 rpm for one exit on interstate 95 and went back to 70 mph where we were both happy. I did not buy the NCX for interstate riding. I just wanted to see where the rpms were at a higher speed. Why would anyone want to red line this machine??? You never know the NCX might just grow on me. I do not have a pulsating or vibrating issue with this motorcycle. It purrs like a kitten. Oh that seat though!! Enjoy and ride safe.

Seabee Bob

Last edited:
Well I don't know boyz-n-girlz. Tonight I went out for a ride on the NC with the expressed goal of finding something I didn't like about the power delivery. I mean it has some vibes and shudders at different places, but I thought they all did. I think Honda even built some vibes in so we wouldn't get bored - boy I bet they wish they had that one back. I tried to find a "thrum thrum" at 3,000 and a vibration that didn't make me want to ride any faster at 4,000. I waited on the transmission to get "crunchy" on me but it only snicked. I shifted it at 5,000 and ran some nice curvy roads at 75 or so (4,000 rpm). I even think it has adequate power to entertain me.

For the life of me, I find no fault with this bike. What am I doing wrong? Am I expecting too little?

If you don't get headaches, do you tell people with migraines that because you don't get them, they are only imagining it? :p

I'm afraid it's just one of those things that either your bike has it/them or not, and no amount of talk or explaining seems to convince those without it. I'm happy that you can find no faults with your bike Lee, I truly am :D The rest of us need your Farkling propensity lol

This is not a laughing matter! It is a deal breaker for some of us. Can I ask you your height, weight and inseam? I bet you are 5'7 160 lbs soaking wet with a 29" inseam.

:eek: A thousand apologies ye of the delicate tush, heehee

Pretty darned close numbers! :eek: 5' 8" 190-ish and yup, about a 29/30 inseam

:eek: A thousand apologies ye of the delicate tush, heehee

Pretty darned close numbers! :eek: 5' 8" 190-ish and yup, about a 29/30 inseam

That's my same luck I have with the state lottery. Pretty darned close numbers! lol

6' 225-ish and a 34" inseam.

Last edited:
My SEAT is very fine:

Seat-Cordoba-WRC02-1024.jpg

I'm sorry, couldn't resist

Oferta de coches nuevos y coches de ocasión | SEAT.es

Except, of course, the seat.

Greg

However, the NC700X seat will be a fairly easy fix. Much easier than fixing overall handling, general ergonomics, engine characteristics, etc. The bike is 97% of the way there for me in stock form. Can't beat that!

I took my bike in to get my new chain under the recall (got the notice in the mail after I got back, go forum go). The general manager cornered me to ask what I thought of the bike because the Honda factory rep was coming and he wanted to give him some feed back. I told him about the seat (my main problem) and the vibration problems that some people seem to be having. I told him to check this forum for information. He took notes so maybe Honda will get some information on how their customers feel.

However, the NC700X seat will be a fairly easy fix. Much easier than fixing overall handling, general ergonomics, engine characteristics, etc. The bike is 97% of the way there for me in stock form. Can't beat that!

Greg

I must stress, that my notes of the weird rpm noise/vibe thing, as it specifically relates to me, and the slightly notchy trans are not deal breakers for me in the slightest. I can work around the rpm thing and who knows, it might very well lessen in time. I'm thinking even a mild gearing tweak to the sprocket/s could make a difference. A cheap way to see anyway. The shifting almost always loosens up over time and use, and if it doesn't, meh, doesn't really bother me.

You are comparing it to a BMW boxer. Compared to that this Honda, any Honda, or most any Asian bike is a magic carpet ride. I find it ironic that finally Honda built a small twin with some character and it vibrates, thrums, and thrashes. Well, yeah. Finally.

Oh that seat!! Looks great, but it gets to my hot spots real quick. I am sure one day there will be a comfy aftermarket seat made and this problem will be solved that some of us are experiencing. I bought the NCX for riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, the challenging roads of WNC, Northeast GA, Northwest SC and Western TN. The four corners. I am going to try and solve the seat problem asap to get through the cooler weather here in east central FL. I hit 300 miles finally and dumped the oil and filter. Something I do after a break in period. At 600 miles I am going to do the service without changing the oil and filter. I talked to Honda and they are working with me on the service. I broke in the X easy for the first 50 miles then rode it like I would any other time. I did not go over 4,000 rpms for the first 300 miles even on the highway. I was doing the speed limit 70 mph at 4,000 rpms. Then after I changed the oil and filter I gave it a little more rpm but the X and I like 2500 - 4000 rpm. I did do 80 mph 5000 rpm for one exit on interstate 95 and went back to 70 mph where we were both happy. I did not buy the NCX for interstate riding. I just wanted to see where the rpms were at a higher speed. Why would anyone want to red line this machine??? You never know the NCX might just grow on me. I do not have a pulsating or vibrating issue with this motorcycle. It purrs like a kitten. Oh that seat though!! Enjoy and ride safe.

Seabee Bob
Bob,

Why haven't you taken the bike up to the mountains yet? I have been twice already on the NC this year and twice on my ST. It's only a day's ride away.

You are comparing it to a BMW boxer. Compared to that this Honda, any Honda, or most any Asian bike is a magic carpet ride. I find it ironic that finally Honda built a small twin with some character and it vibrates, thrums, and thrashes. Well, yeah. Finally.

True. Marry a girl with a sorry ex-husband and she will think your less sorry ass is swell. In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king. They used to say of airhead BMW's that if they would advance through all the gears without stalling that they were in a proper state of tune. The solution to noise was to push the ear plugs in until they touch. Loud valves save lives. They handled with such aplomb that we called them "rubber cows".

But you know what? I enjoyed them tremendously. Still do. When I bought a 1975 Gold Wing with its electric smooth motor I remember thinking they should paint it white and write "Kelvinator" on the sides of it.

I don't know if my bike has any of the "issues" or not. It is hard to believe that I have avoided all of them. The only thing left is that I must accept them as I would be willing to accept that silly mole on Cindy Crawford. Now if I keep riding it and it breaks, well, we'll have a look at the pieces and see what happened.

True. Marry a girl with a sorry ex-husband and she will think your less sorry ass is swell. In the land of the blind, a one-eyed man is king. ...snipped.

My ex was a vibrating HD-wannabe Honda ACE1100 who had the worst brakes ever (my spirited riding did not help).

No wonder I found no fault with the seat of the NCX, the power delivery and the braking power, not to mention finally I have real storage in the tank-compartment and a gratis FOC rear original 35L honda topcase.
Am I complaining?
Of course not!

:p

I remember having an odd vibration around 3000 rpm a couple of times with my NCX, it had around 550 on the clock.

I changed my oil and adjusted the chain and never noticed the vibration again.

I remember having an odd vibration around 3000 rpm a couple of times with my NCX, it had around 550 on the clock.

I changed my oil and adjusted the chain and never noticed the vibration again.

Were you riding over some bad roads or babysmooth ones? It makes me chuckle whenever someone "complains" about some vibration at certain conditions etc.
It is a motorcycle, not a Space shuttle!
:D

Back