• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine FAILURE only 34 miles on bike

I Have to say though, they are getting 70+ MPG, with that CB500 bike as he put it, "That's Not riding it like a Vicker going to a tea party" .

That is right on par with My NC7X

Though they seem to like the reving power, But, they complain they're torque-LESS if not kept on full boil all the time.

up to 10% failures is expected, or at least it was when i work for Toyota, they fix them, sometime they will throw in some little something, to appease the owner

Ah Crap!!

I see there was another CB500 Failure Today with someone different.

This one was at 400 Miles

Wow! That Is not good

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea well, is was some good reading, and had some entertainment value

I'm glad that we don't have that animosity toward one another on this forum.

It would be interesting to see a poll though. No explanations, just:

He gets a new bike

He gets a new engine

He gets a rebuilt engine

Some other settlement

Obviously with other failures happening Honda does not want to set a precedent should 1000 engines suddenly fail.

One of the key selling points in the NC line is it's made in Japan. Anything made in Thailand or India will suffer regardless of quality assurance training because of the work ethic of the poorly paid industry over there. Ever major manufacturer that outsources to these countries have quality control issues, especially BMW. Japan still builds a superior product and I now research where things are built before I buy.

The entertainment value was, to see how the site members all came together and provided some insight and help and reassurance for the poor guy.

I would hate to be in that spot.

I was thinking about getting a CB500, It appears to be a nice bike.

Honda will probably replace the head.

I'm glad that we don't have that animosity toward one another on this forum.

It would be interesting to see a poll though. No explanations, just:

He gets a new bike

He gets a new engine

He gets a rebuilt engine

Some other settlement

Obviously with other failures happening Honda does not want to set a precedent should 1000 engines suddenly fail.

It appears a button or a plug in the head fell off while riding, this causes a Oil leak, and the rocker Hinge rod is able to come out of this hole at that point.

So a cover/plug falls off while riding, and oil is lost.

One of the key selling points in the NC line is it's made in Japan. Anything made in Thailand or India will suffer regardless of quality assurance training because of the work ethic of the poorly paid industry over there. Ever major manufacturer that outsources to these countries have quality control issues, especially BMW. Japan still builds a superior product and I now research where things are built before I buy.
I remember 25 years ago when people didn't want to buy Honda cars made in north America for the same perception. Turned out that they were still great cars and what really mattered was Honda's approach to making them, not where they were made. Most Honda motorcycles are made outside Japan, but company still has reputation for best reliability for some reason.

A couple things- I can't speak for any other motorcycle type or brand made in Thailand, but I will say this, with a little personal experience: My 2007 CBR that I bought brand new, is made and assembled in Thailand (and almost every single part on it is produced in Thailand) and it is as good as any Honda I've ever owned as far as quality, fit and finish, and general "Honda" feel. It also is, virtually bomb proof, there are a great gazillion of the things happily buzzing along at 11,000 rpm all over the world for nearly a decade now. I am incredibly happy with the wee beast, and love it dearly. 100% no problems, issues, failures, nothing but a perfect experience.

My F800 was designed by BMW, the engine was built by Rotax Austria to BMW's exact specs, shipped to the Berlin plant, where it and the rest of the bike was assembled and shipped out to the world.

Crap! Crap! Crap! The worst bike I've ever owned in my life. Horrific quality control, constant failures, oil spewing, paint peeling, vibrating, bolt losing, parts falling off, hideously expensive to repair and maintain, utter piece of crap.

I wished daily that BMW had farmed out the building and assembly of that bike to Thailand, lol.

...and I love Japanese built Hondas too :D

You thinks that's bad i hear North Korea is going to start building the new yamaha Tmax

There motto is, Quality Control, Schmality Control, your lucky if you get one, and dont call us, we'll call you

2wheelcager might want to take his NC back and demand a refund. The frame is made in the Philippines from steel produced in India. Goodness only knows what other horrible little third-world people were allowed near the parts of his bike. One shudders to think about it.

You want somebody with a work ethic? Get the guy who is hungry, not the first-world union-protected just-mailing-it-in guy marking time until his pension is locked in.

It appears a button or a plug in the head fell off while riding, this causes a Oil leak, and the rocker Hinge rod is able to come out of this hole at that point.

So a cover/plug falls off while riding, and oil is lost.

Thats all I saw in the photo. Not near the same as a rod poking through a gaping jagged hole in the rocker box.

Back