• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Emergency braking with and without DCT

That's contrary to how MSF teaches it. Downshift to first with clutch in in case you have to make a getaway. Your rear brake should be close to lockup anyway just with brakes.

I guess you didn't have any emergency situation yet.

That's contrary to how MSF teaches it. Downshift to first with clutch in in case you have to make a getaway. Your rear brake should be close to lockup anyway just with brakes.

I would think with DCT you just don't even worry about it.

Further into the thread (post #13) wildone did reconsider his original take, and recognized agreement with this version.

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and motorcycling in general. I'll be buying NC next year but I haven't decided yet between DCT and manual version.

I'm wondering how DCT would affect emergency braking, for example in situation similar to this one:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ms010d1umI

On a bike with manual transmission I'd just immediately push the clutch down together with brakes. What would happen on a bike with DCT? Would it reduce the gear fast enough?

Thanks,

I am all for the DCT as NaNCy is one... :eek:

The DCT model has ABS standard and the transmission will downshift quickly to provide engine braking in a panic situation. When I test rode NaNCy, I had a situation where I had to use the ABS. It worked perfectly and kept me out of trouble. Due to the nature of the DCT, it was only natural to put an ABS on the bike.

Attachments

• IMG_4673.jpg
    IMG_4673.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
This is what you should do so you can get to Roadhouse safely:
Avoid emergency braking and listen The Doors....

[video=youtube;kD3BIPOls2Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3BIPOls2Y[/video]

I guess you didn't have any emergency situation yet.

I've only rode about 50 years, raced off road, and owned a MSF course 12 years. I see no problem with downshifting as your stopping. I'm just curious with this remark, what is your left foot doing, while your stopping?

Mine tucks into the side with my knees gripping hard on the tank. That is usually the foot I set down when stopped, so I just keep it on the peg until I need to keep the bike vertical.

Had to yank on the front brake this morning on I-15 while cruising at 75 MPH. Went from 75 to 30 real quick. Glad I had the ABS on my DCT. Some cager two vehicles ahead of me decided they needed to almost completely stop to move over to the HOV lane for a left side exit last minute. As a new rider, I didn't even think about the back brake, I just reacted by grabbing the front brake. It all happened real fast and the bike performed perfectly. I'm not sure it would have been the same without the ABS.

I have gotten so used to using both breaks all the time that is it second nature anymore. I have found the bike sits down nicer with both breaks utilized rather than just the front. Hardly any throwing forward with both used in normal breaking. Just comes down to habit, I guess. For me, both breaks are more comfortable overall than just one alone.

I have gotten so used to using both breaks all the time that is it second nature anymore. I have found the bike sits down nicer with both breaks utilized rather than just the front. Hardly any throwing forward with both used in normal breaking. Just comes down to habit, I guess. For me, both breaks are more comfortable overall than just one alone.

Give me a brake.

LOL - but, never got the red underline!

TrekFacepalm.png

Back