• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Electricity: Anderson Powerpoles?

werdigo

Reaction score
Visit site
I have no electric outlets or accessories yet on my 2014 700X and I have ordered the 08A71-MGS-D30 sub-harness and a relay kit, but am wondering about this:

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/wmt-58315-1043

I use several of these Powerpole distribution panels in my ham-radio shack. These connectors are standard for 12v power connections in communication use, and can be obtained in 40a and higher sizes. This particular panel is 6" long and includes two USB charging outlets. My thought is to feed it from the battery, through a relay, and mount Powerpole connectors to the accessories I plan, including (eventually) heated grips. As the photo shows, each outlet has its own fuse, standard automobile fuses of any size one chooses (up to 40a total).

Any thoughts? Does it look feasible to mount it in the frunk, and would it be safe there from the weather?

Space is somewhat limited inside the battery compartment for something this size but of course you could perhaps mount it to an interior surface of the frunk if you didn't mind giving up the space.

A lot pf people use a motorcycle specific power distro box like this Motorcycle Fuse & Ground Blocks | TwistedThrottle.com.
There are several different brands of them. They generally have a built-in relay so you have switched and unswitched power. Mounts nicely under one of the fake air ducts. Then you can put in a 12 volt socket or USB plug or both in the wall of the frunk and not lose any space.

didn't admin put up a review awhile back of a pretty affordable and compact product?

Has anyone used the Innov Power Hub? I'm thinking of going that direction based on other reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At least to me, that DXEngineering piece for $79 is a bit on the pricey side. I didn't need or want USB connectors and opted for the 3-outlet piece from Eastern Beaver. It comes with a relay, is already wired, and made using high quality components. Go to Eastern Beaver and take a look at their stuff.

The photo below is of an inexpensive accessory fuse panel that you can buy from an auto parts store for less than $20 then add a relay for another $6-$8.

accessory panel.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, thanks, guys. As usual, our options runneth over. There are several here that do what I'd considered doing with the Rigrunner panel and Powerpoles, but offer a neater, more compact, and more weatherproof package. Guess I'll go with one of them. There are some significant price differences.

PS: Without the USB ports, how do you keep your cell phone / GPS powered?

Wow, thanks, guys. As usual, our options runneth over. There are several here that do what I'd considered doing with the Rigrunner panel and Powerpoles, but offer a neater, more compact, and more weatherproof package. Guess I'll go with one of them. There are some significant price differences.

PS: Without the USB ports, how do you keep your cell phone / GPS powered?

I have a combo USB port and a 12v cigarette lighter port on my handlebars. it's 5v 500ma, no power negotiation, it would slowly charge my old phone, and won't charge my SMH10 (bluetooth) at all.

I have a new phone that will take almost a full 15W to quick charge, 3 amps at 5V, I doubt it will play well with the 5v 500ma usb port on the handle bars.

So I'll end up using the cigarette port with a plug that converts to USB (new one I got does the full 15W for the new phone, works great in the car over the winter so far.)
I'll probably pull the combo port and get a straight 12v cigarette lighter port at some point...

Back