• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Easy mod to lower my Madstad

nemesis98

Reaction score
Visit site
For those of you who know, I own probably the largest Madstad windshield in existence - a whooping 24" Sport SD
From day one I always felt it was too large. I had it in the lowest position possible, angled back, forward, up, down, me slouching, me sitting ram-rod straight, you name it, I tried it, and even then it seemed to be a tad bit too tall. I didn't like it. But loved the wind protection it gave me, so I stuck with it.

A little while ago I posted about the glowing effect my shield had, and talked about how I was going to paint the very bottom edge, as well as the inside bottom of the shield to help stop some major reflection I had at night. That hasn't happened (yet - tomorrow is the day). But while working out the best place to paint (how high up to help with the reflection etc.), I got an up close look at how everything worked. And saw it. I could lower the shield almost 2 inches without re-drilling the shield or cutting off the top (two things I was scared straight to even try, for if I wrecked it - $300.00 down the drain and a very upset wife)

What I did was this:
- Un-screwed the shield from the mount
- Un-bolted the mounting bracket from the mounting plate.
- Un-bolted the top bolt that held the mounting plate to the bike
- Moved the mounting bracket down approx 2 inches to the upper hole of the mounting plate - and bolted it in.
- I then temporarily put the shield back on to see where the upper hole for the mounting bracket fell - and marked it
- Took off the shield and drilled new hole in the mounting plate where I marked.
- Bolted the mounting bracket back to the mounting plate in the new lower hole
- Re-attached the shield and there you have it - lowered about 2 inches, easy cheesy

Reason for doing this is to lower the screen so I am not looking threw it, or having that 'horizon line' where my eyes look at both the very top edge and over the edge of the screen, screwing with my focal points. The angle works the same, as well as the up/down adjustments. The only thing is now the adjustment knobs are in front of the mounting plate as opposed to above it when originally mounted. Does not affect the function of the system at all.

This did not eliminate the glowing and reflection issue (that will hopefully be solved or reduced by painting it tomorrow), but it seems to make me much happier in where the i look over the shield now. Looks a little better on the bike, and works a little better for me. Haven't ridden to adjust the angle of the shield yet, but everything looks to be just right.

I will take pictures tomorrow, and hope to get some of the glow and reflection as well, before paint and after. Stay tuned..

Last edited:
Back