• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Driver says "I don't care"...

http://m.yourglenrosetx.com/article/20151019/NEWS/151019367

William Crum sends Granbury motorcyclists to the ditch, not his first encounter with law enforcement

Last edited:
http://m.yourglenrosetx.com/article/20151019/NEWS/151019367

William Crum sends Granbury motorcyclists to the ditch, not his first encounter with law enforcement

This guy seems to have a history of creating mayhem. This might be the item that will put him away for quite awhile. He can spend his retirement years in a jumpsuit.

Glad to hear Crum has been arrested. Hopefully he'll have the book thrown at him and lose his license for life. He should not be allowed to drive, ever again. He also needs jail time and a huge civil lawsuit thrown at him.

But Sanders is also at fault. Did he and his girlfriend deserve this? Hell no. But he put both himself and his girlfriend in danger which contributed at least in some part to this result.

Several years ago I was riding in the left lane of a 4-lane road a few blocks from home when a car pulled out from a side street on my right. Rather than staying in the right lane which was wide open, he pulled right in front of me. I swerved to the right lane and blew past him, then swerved back into the left lane in front of him (I was going to turn left soon). I then pulled into the left turn lane and slowed to make my turn. As he passed he swerved halfway into my lane and missed me by a few inches. He screamed profanities at me as he flew by. I had not been speeding, I had not flipped him off, yelled, or anything of the sort. I merely passed him on the right after he pulled in front of me and that was enough to set him off enough to purposely endanger my life.

There are plenty of people on the road who are one small incident away from losing it. Job troubles, marital troubles, financial problems, drug and alcohol dependency, or any number of other things can add up to someone on the edge of losing all self control and doing something as stupid as William Crum did in an instant. Maybe he's put up with squids blowing by him in no passing zones for a long time and made a snap decision that he just wasn't going to take it anymore. And as he repeatedly said, he just doesn't care. By some estimates, 1 in 20 people out there are sociopaths. They just don't care, because they are incapable of caring. I have no idea if Crum is one or not. And I'm not trying to justify what he did, I'm just trying to make the point that there are probably a lot of people out there who are just as dangerous and on the edge as this guy. Those of us who get where we're going on something as vulnerable as a motorcycle need to be hypersensitive to the people around us, because if they snap when you're near, you just might lose your life.

I followed the guy who endangered my life long enough to get his license plate and then reported him. I don't know if anything ever came of it. But I learned something that day. Letting my temper get the best of me when I'm on a bike is a dangerous proposition. I should have simply swallowed my pride, slowed down, followed him at a safe distance and waited the few blocks to make my turn. That's not easy to do sometimes, especially when you think someone recklessly endangered your life, or worse, did it purposely. But it's probably the safest approach.

I have a GoPro camera. I may set it up for use with my bike. At least then I'll have evidence for the police if needed.

Personally, if Crum was 20 below the limit then he can be passed legally as far as I am concerned. He makes himself the equivalent of farm machinery. It is not illegal to pass when something is impeding normal traffic.
There was another thread here about someone that just made an attempt at a bike but missed. He went to jail. Different state though.

And even if the biker was in violation. Citizen assault (and battery) with a deadly weapon is not a legal answer.

I hope the girl makes it out OK.

Last edited:
Personally, if Crum was 20 below the limit then he can be passed legally as far as I am concerned. He makes himself the equivalent of farm machinery. It is not illegal to pass when something is impeding normal traffic.

This was in Texas. Most roads even 2 lane ones have 70 mph speed limit so 20 under might have been 50 mph, not farm machinery speed even in Texas.

This incident also fits what is all too common in that the innocent are the ones hurt the most. The female passenger can't be blamed. According to news reports she had road rash on her arm that went to the bone and exposed tendons. At best she is in for a long painful recovery and likely major scars and permanent loss of some function.

Just read another tragedy in Arizona where a 4 year old was killed in a road rage shooting. Don't know what either driver did but the 4 year old was not at fault. There are angry people around us some driving the vehicles around us. Be careful to not piss them off. It isn't worth it. The individual who was in the right is often also in the grave.

This was in Texas. Most roads even 2 lane ones have 70 mph speed limit so 20 under might have been 50 mph, not farm machinery speed even in Texas.

70 on 2-lane roads!! Really?

WhHoo! woohoo.gif

I knew I wanted to move to Texas!

But looking at where they are and what kind of roads they are indicates to me (as seen in the video) that no way was this a 70 mph roadway.

Maybe I am wrong, but if it was 50 and Crum kept dropping to 30 (or 60-40) I might pass him too.
Let's see what comes of the trial. It will all be there, if there is one.

Last edited:
Was the motorcycle driver at fault for passing in the double stripped area? YES Traffic viloation.

Was the driver of the auto at fault for aggrevated assault for hitting the person on the motorcycle with the intent of causing harm or injury to another. YES Felony.

Two wrongs will never equal a right !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Texas Highways

Something that may be foreign to many on the forum here, especially those in the northeast, is that most all Texas roads are built properly with the correct banking around curves for high speeds, along with a shoulder instead of a vehicle-flipping rut in the dirt.

Texas (I are one) highway speed limits were 70 day/night 55 MPH in the good old days. I'm sure the roads were designed for quite a bit more speed as you could drive 75 and not get stopped. Then came 55 and the big Lone Star State became effectively even bigger!

Many of the rural FM (Farm to Market) two-lane roads are now 75 MPH however it is surprising how many people drive 45 or 50.

TX 75.jpg

Where the accident happened appears to have a 60 MPH speed limit. It has been a few years since I drove down Tin Top Road but it can be fairly busy for a rural FM highway.

Tin Top Accident Spot.jpg

I've had (nearly) the same thing happen to me three times. All three times I was riding a high-powered sportbike and all three times the people did it intentionally, but I was never passing anyone, they were just mad that I was on a bike. Two times were on a rural mountain road where I was doing the speed limited and once was on a freeway when I was speeding a bit. The freeway time I was in the first lane and I was passing by a kid in an old muscle car in the second lane. His girlfriend was inside and I guess he figured since he couldn't match my speed he was going to pretend like he was going to kill me to impress her. As much as people want to think it, someone being stupid isn't a good reason to kill them.

I'll be interested to find out what happens, legally, with this case. The car driver should be charged with attempted murder as far as I'm concerned.

Something that may be foreign to many on the forum here, especially those in the northeast, is that most all Texas roads are built properly with the correct banking around curves for high speeds, along with a shoulder instead of a vehicle-flipping rut in the dirt.

Texas (I are one) highway speed limits were 70 day/night 55 MPH in the good old days. I'm sure the roads were designed for quite a bit more speed as you could drive 75 and not get stopped. Then came 55 and the big Lone Star State became effectively even bigger!

Many of the rural FM (Farm to Market) two-lane roads are now 75 MPH however it is surprising how many people drive 45 or 50.

Where the accident happened appears to have a 60 MPH speed limit. It has been a few years since I drove down Tin Top Road but it can be fairly busy for a rural FM highway.

View attachment 27151
I see no reason why this has a double yellow. Unless the photo stretched it out. I wouldn't have a problem passing on a double yellow if it was safe to do so and I was following a driver doing 20 under the limit.
I used to do a lot of driving in Texas 25-30 years ago. Back then if you was coming up on another vehicle, 90 times out of a 100, they would move on the shoulder and let you by. I enjoyed the heck out of that.
Now Huston, Dallas and the other cities, you were on your own.

I just noticed that in the area of the accident Tin Top Road does not have a real shoulder, like many of the FM roads in Texas have including the one I posted above with the 75 MPH speed limit. This may be why the speed limit on this road is 60 MPH and the no-passing zones are so large. I "drove" down the road for a while on Google maps and there are some passing zones but not as many as there are no-passing zones. Roads like this can be very frustrating if you get stuck behind someone driving 40 in a 60.

Should it be called an accident if it was done on purpose?

If you look at the video carefully it appears the motorcycle was still very much within its lane but it drifted very slightly to the right just before the collision. The cager may have swerved a bit more than planned and didn't realize the motorcycle had moved to the right in its lane and boom! Screwed up arm for the rest of life and removal of freedom for much of the rest of life.

Tin Top Accident Spot.jpg

When the DOT gets stingy with the passing zones, the double yellow passing will increase. It is not necessarily so that "legal to pass" and "safe to pass" are the same thing. Different passing distances are required for a Tercel and a Hayabusa. Doesn't mean you aren't still eligible for a ticket, but passing two slow cars on this stretch doesn't seem unsafe.

70 on 2-lane roads!! Really?

WhHoo! View attachment 27149

I knew I wanted to move to Texas!

But looking at where they are and what kind of roads they are indicates to me (as seen in the video) that no way was this a 70 mph roadway.

Maybe I am wrong, but if it was 50 and Crum kept dropping to 30 (or 60-40) I might pass him too.
Let's see what comes of the trial. It will all be there, if there is one.
Heck Therapy, I can show you roads around Ocala, Gainesville, Williston, Archer which are similar with 65mph speed limit on them; IE, 19, 27, 24, 241, 337, 336, if not 65, then most of the roads, even the 2 lane county roads are at least 60mph.

Another rider has stepped up and said the illustrious Mr. Crum tried something with him the day before. Link here:Cyclist: William Crum tried to crash my bike last week
I ride that road a few time a year and believe the speed limit to be 60 or 65. Also frequently wonder what the engineers were thinking when they told the paint crew where to put the double yellow lines on a lot of the FM roads.

I find so ironic that people can apparently see motorcycles just fine when they want to, (even from way back behind them, not even in their own lane) yet the first words out of virtually all car drivers are: "I didn't see him" every other time they run into or over us.

"I don't care" is right. It pretty much sums it all up. They don't care enough to bother looking for motorbikes when they are not angry at us, and they don't care about hitting motorbikes when they are angry at us. :(

Back