• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Does anyone else turn off motor while at red light?

Skeleton

Reaction score
Visit site
Hybrid cars have their engine off while at red lights as do a few non-hybrid cars. This saves gasoline and reduces emissions. Since buying the NC750, I have adopted the habit of turning off the engine at a stop if I had entered the beginning of a red-green traffic cycle.

I wanted to know if I should also turn off the power (key switch), so that I don't drain the battery while the engine is off at the stop. A typical red-green traffic cycle (actually its a half cycle) is not more than 3 minutes. My calculation shows that leaving the bike's power on (and thus head light on) while the engine is off, will consume about 3% of the battery's capacity. There is another 1% of drain when the starter motor is cranked to restart the bike. However, once I ride off at the eventual green light, the alternator will need about 3 mins to recharge from the 4% depletion.

DOES ANYONE ELSE TURN OFF THE ENGINE AT A RED LIGHT?
Battery load.jpg

Last edited:
The only time I've turned my bike off was at a level crossing in a village, other than that I wouldn't bother.

I like the quick getaway I get with the DCT, why lose that?

I leave it on and hands on the ready to go.you never know when you might need to make a quick get out of the way.

I like the principle of reducing gasoline usage and emissions, but agree with ziggie that it's best to be ready for a quick getaway. I would do it in a car at a long light but not on a bike.

The hybrid is set up to automatically start engine and engage transmission seamlessly when you touch the gas pedal. On your NC you have to hit start button then release clutch. Get in a hurry and you will kill engine making everyone behind you unhappy. If you turn off key then one more step with the requirement to move hand from key to starter or clutch while people wait behind you. On a DCT if the key is off there is another brief delay for the ECU to wake up before it will go in gear.

For me at a traffic light I want to be able to engage transmission and go as quick as light changes and street is clear with no distractions of starting engine while I need to be watching traffic. On the side of the road if I expect to be there a couple minutes I stop engine.

I'm going to guess Skeleton is an engineer ;)

Looks good on paper, but a terrible idea in the real world. But this isn't a problem for the engineer, it's a problem for the design and implementation team. lol

Why would anyone even bother. The NC has such great gas mileage and super low emisions I don't think the polar bears would mind and unless your ultra poor you won't notice it in the pocket either.

I like your chart. :rolleyes:

When I'm at a light then I'm ready to move if needed until I'm "safe". That means I'm either at the front of the light because I filtered up or if I'm first to the light that a car has come to a complete stop behind me. Only then will I take my hand off the throttle or maybe if I know it will be a really long light then I might put it in neutral. I'd never think about shutting it off.

Your chart details the electrical situation. But where are the numbers for how much fuel the bike actually uses at idle? I'd bet the fuel used at idle is very low. Having to replace one component early due to extra wear from this practice, be it the starter switch, starter motor, battery, etc, would negate any advantage gained by shutting the engine off.

The safety aspect trumps everything. What good is a little pocket change if you're dead or injured? I sit at a light with engine on, in gear, clutch lever in, both hands on the bars, while maintaining a 360 degree awareness.

I only shutdown for construction zone stoppages, and then only if they tell me it will be more than 4 - 5 minutes.

Some rough numbers.........to quantify what 670cc said.......not much fuel is used at idle

A 1 liter 4 cyclinder car engine uses about .85 oz per minute to idle.

So assume a 2 cylinder NC engine should use about .45 to .65 oz per minute...........

One ounce of gasoline cost is about 2 cents ..............so................not idling would save a penny per minute.

Now for perspective:
OEM starter. Retail $511. Discount. $429
OEM battery. Retail $157. Discount. $133

Starter would be 42900 cents or 42900 minutes of idling time.........

Edit. Yes I am bored and waiting for the Wisconsin Ohio state game to come on...go Badgers.

Last edited:
Your chart details the electrical situation. But where are the numbers for how much fuel the bike actually uses at idle? I'd bet the fuel used at idle is very low. Having to replace one component early due to extra wear from this practice, be it the starter switch, starter motor, battery, etc, would negate any advantage gained by shutting the engine off.

The safety aspect trumps everything. What good is a little pocket change if you're dead or injured? I sit at a light with engine on, in gear, clutch lever in, both hands on the bars, while maintaining a 360 degree awareness.

+1 The safety issue trumps it all. Too many times it is necessary to move, a little or a lot, in a very short notice. 360 awareness keeps us safe.

We drive a Prius. It's designed to turn itself off and on. It also has an electric motor to drive and/or assist in driving the vehicle. Neither of these is the case with the motorcycle.

In addition to starter and battery wear, add wear to the ignition and start button. Maybe the LCD display, fuel pump and various electronic control components, as well.

And there's still that pesky safety issue. The MSF course recommends keeping the bike running and in first gear with the clutch in at traffic lights, for safety.

Some rough numbers.........to quantify what 670cc said.......not much fuel is used at idle

A 1 liter 4 cyclinder car engine uses about .85 oz per minute to idle.
So assume a 2 cylinder NC engine should use about .45 to .65 oz per minute...........
One ounce of gasoline cost is about 2 cents ..............so................not idling would save a penny per minute.

Now for perspective:
OEM starter. Retail $511. Discount. $429
OEM battery. Retail $157. Discount. $133

Starter would be 42900 cents or 42900 minutes of idling time.........

Well said !!! ;)

I have been in two situations while at a red light, that I was surely glad the motorcycle was running and in gear so I could move quickly. Otherwise I would have been in the accidents.

I call it being "dead in the water".

You never want to be on a powered down motorcycle in traffic, whether it be from stalling, or mechanical issue, or a deliberate shut off, IMHO.

Sitting in a drive though, maybe. Sitting in a ferry line up, or at a flagged stop waiting for a pilot car or instructions to proceed for 5 minutes or longer, sure.

Back