• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do you wear ATGATT?

I went out for a nice long ride to watch the sun set over the OC (Orange County), and after reading all these posts, I put on my full riding, one piece, tourmaster "Centurion" riding outfit. It felt luxurious on top of my street clothes and I remembered al the stories I'd read here today.
Wow! Great ride. the sunset was nice too!

Reads more like "b tareful u don't fall off ur motortickle n smear ur ink" rather than a pitch for protective gear. Esp. when aimed at the tat crowd.

In addition to "Ride Aware" one should "Ride-n-Wear" (because sometimes you "Ride Aware" and try not to but you STILL fall down)

yo.jpg

I went out for a nice long ride to watch the sun set over the OC (Orange County), and after reading all these posts, I put on my full riding, one piece, tourmaster "Centurion" riding outfit. It felt luxurious on top of my street clothes and I remembered al the stories I'd read here today.
Wow! Great ride. the sunset was nice too!

Strat, that is a good point that I haven't heard mentioned. When you are properly dressed, you are more at ease on the bike. Calmer and more confident. Peace of mind adds to enjoying the ride. I have thrown the bike down the road a few times and I know that the gear can protect me. The thought of coming off in jeans and a t-shirt makes the ride unenjoyable.

Do I wear ATGATT?

I guess not. I ALWAYS wear all the gear riding to work and home, or to the store, even over 110F (_especially_ over 110F!), but there are times I'll just jump on and ride the couple of blocks within the neighborhood to friends' or parents' houses. Even at that, I generally put on helmet and gloves, but again there are or have been times when I don't.

My 1-piece armored suit should be pretty good in a crash. It lacks hip armor, so I'm generally in Forcefield armored shorts underneath. My boots have good ankle padding, as well as support, and my gloves are a kevlar glove inside an armored leather glove. Next time I'm going to buy gloves with a decent gauntlet on them, I believe, but at this point if I get hurt significantly whilst riding, there really wasn't anything I could reasonably have worn to prevent it.

Last edited:
... but there are times I'll just jump on and ride the couple of blocks within the neighborhood to friends' or parents' houses. Even at that, I generally put on helmet and gloves, but again there are or have been times when I don't..

They say most accidents happen within 15 miles of home. Made me so nervous I thought about moving 20 miles away.

Seriously, if you know when you are going to wreck, just wear it then. Of better, if you know you are going to wreck, don't go.

My one concession to summer is Kevlar re-enforced jeans\cargos (I have several pair). If I am riding any distance, I add D30 knee inserts but on my regular commute I risk banging up my knee because the inserts are a pain to put in and take out of the pants.

My one concession to summer is Kevlar re-enforced jeans\cargos (I have several pair). If I am riding any distance, I add D30 knee inserts but on my regular commute I risk banging up my knee because the inserts are a pain to put in and take out of the pants.
The inserts may be a pain but I bet they are not as much of a pain as living with a damaged knee as I have done for the last 47 years

How much Kevlar do those Kevlar "reinforced" jeans actually have in them? I was looking at the ones offered by Komine but quickly looked away when I found out only a few areas of the jeans have Kevlar in them. Everywhere else, its just a plain old thickness of denim between asphalt and skin.

Those relying on Kevlar reinforced jeans for protection: please make sure you know how much Kevlar your particular brand has and where it is used. Make sure you're actually getting the level of protection you think you're getting. Now is the time to find out....not later while having your skin torn off.

If anyone come to Gibraltar you would see true "hardcore flip-flop pro riders"... usually in shorts, no t-shirts and with small "man-bags" (which I like to call "moriconitas") across the chicken-chests... priceless view! :cool:

Before 2005 maybe not, but after...were it not for this:

jacket.jpg

I still wear this jacket. The only mark on it is a slight scuff on the "O". I questioned spending so much on a jacket when I bought it, but am grateful I did.

helmet.jpg

This was on of my favorite helmets and It was just about a month old. I hit so hard that it cracked the outer shell below my left cheek. They were astounded that my neck didn't snap. Sent it back to KBC for research and I got a box 'o shirts and other KBC goodies, but no helmet ;)

I probably would have had worse than this:
leg.jpg

The only place I didn't have motorcycle specific riding gear was my legs. The weekend before this happened I bough a nice pair of padded textile riding pants. My jeans looked like that had been attacked by a giant cheese grater!

Last edited:
I wear all my gear (boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet) all the time. If it's too hot for my gear, it's too hot to ride. My current Olympia gear feels too hot once it gets in the mid 80s (I'm super sensitive to heat). Looking for some mesh gear to extend my riding opportunities...and for those times out touring when I have no choice but to ride in what I have. I'll check out some of the suggestions here on the board.

On the street I wear all the gear I own. Full face helmet, jacket, and gloves. Jeans and steel toe boots round out the rest, but I will be buying a pair of riding boots here shortly. Off-road.....not quite as much gear as I probably should. Helmet, jersey, pants, gloves, chest protector, and boots. I use to wear a CTI wrist brace after I broke my wrist in '06, but stopped wearing it last season. I've tried elbow and knee guards, but they always seem to bunch up on me and get uncomfortable fast. If I had the cash I'd probably add a neck brace of some sort to the gear roster, but damn those things are expensive. Good thing I bounce and can take a hit.

They say most accidents happen within 15 miles of home. Made me so nervous I thought about moving 20 miles away.

Seriously, if you know when you are going to wreck, just wear it then. Of better, if you know you are going to wreck, don't go.

Thought the insurance industry here in The States said it was within 5 miles of where you live - but not to split hairs . . . There is quality protective gear for whatever conditions you encounter - we're all adults here, it's your choice.

Last edited:
BikerWreck.jpg
I see the pic and think about my recent slide - road rash on cheek of my Helmet, shoulder and elbow of my Jacket abraided but pads kept me from the asphalt - I'm bruised but not bloodied. Got back on the bike and rode it home.

Thought the insurance industry here in The States said it was within 5 miles of where you live - but not to split hairs . . . There is quality protective gear for whatever conditions you encounter - we're all adults here, it's your choice.

Maybe. I only have one math degree, but it would seem that if your statement is true, that mine is also. In fact, even though yours is a "stronger statement", however true your statement is, mine is more true. ;)

When I commute, yes. When I am just riding around town, no. When I am going "on a ride," yes.

In general, of course...

Back