• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Do You Have A Trip Meter Reset Problem? COMPLAIN ABOUT IT!

kpinvt

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
This advice is only for folks in the USA. File a complaint with NHTSA: The National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

It took me about ten minutes in between phone calls at work. NHTSA gives you 2000 characters to explain your problem. If enough people take this route maybe Honda Motorsports will start paying attention. From what I can tell people have been complaining since March about this problem. The guy I talked to at Honda played dumb and claimed to have never heard of this and that the problem would have to be verified by the dealer before Honda would do anything.

Admins, I started another thread so maybe more folks would pay attention. The more people file a complaint the quicker Honda takes notice.

I thought the NHTSA was only interested in safety related issues...My guess is an inaccurate meter reading isn't something they either care about or would investigate.

The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (originally enacted in 1966 and now recodified as 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301) gives the Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) the authority to issue vehicle safety standards and to require manufacturers to recall vehicles that have safety-related defects or do not meet Federal safety standards.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree ;-)

Last edited:
I thought the NHTSA was only interested in safety related issues...My guess is an inaccurate meter reading isn't something they either care about or would investigate.

The National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (originally enacted in 1966 and now recodified as 49 U.S.C. Chapter 301) gives the Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) the authority to issue vehicle safety standards and to require manufacturers to recall vehicles that have safety-related defects or do not meet Federal safety standards.

Running out of gas on the freeway is a safety issue. I use my trip meter as a back up to gas gage to know when I am running low. Probably not within NHTSA's mandate, but would be a huge issue with me if I had a 2014 model. Honda needs to take ownership, find the problem and fix as warranty item.

Running out of gas on the freeway is a safety issue.
Luckily, the fuel gauges are working fine so anyone running out of fuel on a freeway is simply not paying attention...

Not sure the NHSTA or even Honda could fix that ;-)

Last edited:
Luckily, the fuel gauges are working fine so anyone running out of fuel on a freeway is simply not paying attention...

Not sure the NHSTA could fix that ;-)
I have had multiple cars and bikes that had fuel gages fail and sometimes the same gage worked fine on next tank.

As good as Honda is, they are not perfect.

You are a newer member here so before you are too confident that it can't happen on a Honda you might want to read this thread where at least 2 had problems:
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-technical/1066-fuel-gauge-sender-issue.html
:p

You are a newer member here so before you are too confident that it can't happen on a Honda
My confidence is waning :-(

I respectfully retract my statement that only a dummy who was not paying attention would run out of gas on the freeway.. ;-)

This is the text from my complaint, sorry for the all caps as that is how the complaint is displayed:

I OWN A NEW 2014 HONDA NC700X MOTORCYCLE THAT I TOOK DELIVERY OF ON 07-25-2014. THE "A" & "B" TRIP METERS WILL RANDOMLY RESET TO RANDOM MILAGE NUMBERS WHICH COULD BE ABOVE OR BELOW THE ACTUAL MILES TRAVELLED. I DON'T HAVE A GPS MOUNTED TO THE BIKE TO VERIFY HOW FAST THE BIKE IS MOVING OR DISTANCE TRAVELLED SO I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS IS AFFECTING THE SPEED READING ON THE BIKES DASH DISPLAY, THE SPEEDOMETER SEEMS TO BE WORKING EVERY TIME I'VE LOOKED AT IT BUT I'M NOW NOT SURE IF IT IS ACCURATE. I CALLED HONDA MOTORSPORTS AND WAS TOLD THE DEALER I BOUGHT THE BIKE FROM WOULD HAVE TO VERIFY THAT THIS IS HAPPENING BEFORE HONDA MOTORSPORTS WOULD CONSIDER DOING ANYTHING TO HELP ME. A NON-FUNCTIONING SPEEDOMETER WOULD MAKE THE BIKE UNRIDEABLE. I WAS SITTING AT A STOP LIGHT ON 09-04-2014 AND WAS LOOKING AT THE DISPLAY FOR THE TRIP "A" METER WHEN IT RESET ITSELF FROM 93.8 MILES TO 98 MILES. I SWITCHED THE DISPLAY TO SHOW ME THE TRIP "B" METER. AFTER TRAVELLING WHAT THE "B" METER SAID WAS 216 MILES I REFILLED THE TANK WITH 2.75 GALLONS WHICH MEANS THE BIKE GOT AN UNBELIEVABLE 78.5 MILES PER GALLON AFTER A DAY OF SPIRITED RIDING. YESTERDAY, 09-10-2014, I REFILLED THE TANK AND SET BOTH THE A AND B TRIP METERS TO ZERO. I RODE A LITTLE OVER 26 MILES RUNNING ERRANDS, STOPPED THE BIKE AND TURNED OFF THE IGNITION. WHEN I RETURNED TO THE BIKE TO GO HOME BOTH TRIP METERS HAD RESET THEMSELVES TO 7.1 MILES.

Woof.

They probably won't do anything but it made me feel better. Woof, woof:)

Write to honda corporate as well. how many having this reset issue? 20-30 of you? or only 10 of you?

can you imagine if honda receive 10-20 letter with the same complaint?

writing to the Nhtsa might actually NOT trigger a review by them, they have to receive a large amount- . on top of the large number, the issue has to do with safety, such as brakes, air bag. ignition....

the reset of an odometer will not make you crash.

so WRITE TO HONDA. it will cost you a stamp, there is no email.

I've had my NC for 500 miles now and it has gone through several 'resets' with the first time going down to 0 miles, which I figured would happen every time (I didn't know about the reset issue until after mine went back to zero. Well it has reset numerous times and not always to zero. I went out on the NC today making several stops and my first stop was 16.5 miles, came out and it reset to zero, so I lost those 16.5 miles. Left, went further and stopped, came back to moto and it was readying fine (still had the missing 16.5 miles), drove further and stopped, came back and it still read fine. Drove again, stopped, came back out and this time I immediately noticed I had once again lost some miles, it didn't go down to zero but reduced the amount by guess what, 16.5 miles, odd.

So oddly enough, it went down to zero once and I lost 16.5 miles because of it, the next time I lost miles it just so happen to be the exact amount (16.5) that I had driven the last time before stopping. I'm wondering if there is a correlation. I noticed yesterday that my meter dropped a certain number of miles but wasn't sure as to how much (I wasn't keeping a log yesterday). I'm taking it to the dealer so they can see the problem.

I filed a complaint with the NHTSA as well earlier in the month regarding this. But another thing I've noticed is that I usually cruise around 75mph, when I apply throttle I feel like I'm going faster but the speedo still reads 75 or 76 mph. But when I have the Waze app or a GPS speed ap on and I look, it shows that I'm going 80-82! So maybe there is something with the speedo as well?

Sorry, don't mean to change the subject, but this could potentially be a related issue.

Yes, I can't help but wonder about all the meters if one is a known fault. That being said, I haven't noticed any difference in my speedometer and my GPS readings.

After all the side trips I made yesterday and one today, I came to the (narrow) findings that the meter takes off the last trip I made. If I leave my house with 10 miles on the trip meter and drive 35 miles to work (for example), the trip meter will read 45 miles when I get to work (as it should). If I leave the moto to sit long enough, when I come back to the bike it will read 10 miles, causing me to loose the 35 miles I drove earlier in the day. This is what I have observed 3 times in one single day.

I left the bike with the shop and told them to call Honda and put in a new dash.

Have the same problem here in the UK. This only affects the trip meters, not the odometer and only on the 750, not the 700. Honda know about this problem and are working on "software" fix.

Have had this problem from i changed to a 750s DCT from a 700s in March this year.

Last edited:
Back