• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Disaster

This is the second NCX I've heard about blowing over. I feel a new product niche coming on. The NC700X wind anchor.
anchor_and_chain.jpg

so after reading all this, the center stand is suppose to be a little better than the side stand when windy conditions occur.
My nc700x-dct, I have parked it on bridge plaza everyday in windy conditions using the side stand. With a cover on it too.
So far, it has not fell over. I will try the center stand tomorrow with the cover also.

thanks for the advise
ken

Hmm, I don't know. I've always heard that bikes are easier to blow over on the center stand. The triangle of points of contact is much smaller.

Hmm, I don't know. I've always heard that bikes are easier to blow over on the center stand. The triangle of points of contact is much smaller.

It's all about how much the bike can move before the point at which the wind is strong enough to blow it over. Wind blowing from the right while on the side stand will have a hard time blowing over a bike because the side stand is the outermost pivot point and doesn't compress. Wind blowing from the left while on the side stand will compress the shocks, causing a couple good gusts to take to bike over in a rocking motion.

The three points while on the side stand probably are more stable than the center stand while anchoring the bike because the anchors pre-compress the shocks, and the anchors do not allow lean in either direction.

The center stand does not allow compression in either direction, so it's ideal when the wind direction is unknown and the bike can't be tied down.

This is why. Seems counter intuitive until you think about the compression factor.

I have the DCT model as well and I always use the Parking Brake when parked on the sidestand to prevent anything from inadvertently pushing the bike forward, be that wind, or a runaway shopping cart. Of course the Parking Brake is 100% useless when using the centerstand. It would be better if it was on the front wheel.

But then you also have the issue while on center stand and away from the bike,do you turn the wheel to lock it.I have never put mine on the center stand while parked somewhere.

I saw this thread and had to chime in myself.

I had this ALMOST happen to my NC while parked on the side stand. There was a storm coming in, and luckily for me I ran out there when it was gusting pretty good. I could see the bike tipping as if it were about to be blown over. So I just parked it on the center-stand from there on out. If that is not an option, make sure you park your NC on it's side stand in the direction the wind is blowing. That way, the wind will push the bike toward the side stand and not away from it.

Something too that happened to my NC recently before I traded it in.. They repaved the parking lot at work with black asphalt. It had been over a week, and thought nothing of it. I came out to get lunch, and saw my bike leaned drastically over. It sunk 4 inches into the black top. I got lucky it did not go all the way over. I cut a 1/2 inch piece of wood, 4 inch by 4 inch square to throw under it. Worked like a charm.

Hope this helps!

Sorry to hear about your bike...:( hopefully Honda will be able to supply you with a new handlebar. I've already been waiting over 3 weeks for a replacement handlebar for my NC750S, and now Honda have informed me that I won't be able to get a new handlebar until the 20th August. What a load of crap!

I certainly hope you have better luck with Honda than I've had.

Sorry to hear about the problem. Don't worry, you'll get your bike fixed and it will be a great story once the pain passes.

If you already know what is below please forgive the time waste. If not, you can prevent a lot of wind related problem with planning.

Was the wind for a consent direction? If so was the right side of the bike toward the wind (side stand) or the front (center stand)?

Was there anything you could park behind? A tree, a car, a building, etc.? Even a chain link fence helps.

I've spent a fair amount of time in windy environments, mostly in Death Valley and the Sierras. I've found thinking about the situation and placing your bike a the best possible place is the most important thing when parking in the wind. Being a motorcyclist involves being alert, not just when riding but from start to finish.

Goose

PS Quick wind story:

Years ago motorcycle camping in Death Valley with a group of friends including a guy who grew up on the Blessed Isle named Chris. The wind was, as it will do in DV, howling out of the north. No bikes fell over but in the small hours of the morning we were we were all awakened by a loud CRACK! 2 second later we all knew who's tent had failed, the swearing has a distinct British accent. It was really difficult to help Chris out of his tent, we were all doubled over with laughter.

danside stand2 said:
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Hopefully things will get put back right in a short time. How strong of a wind does it take to knock over the NC?
If memory serves me, I think the weather reports were calling for up to 60 mph gust when mine took a nap. I could have prevented it by having my side stand down wind or on the center stand.

I have never put mine on the center stand while parked somewhere.

I don't either but speaking of center stands, when I came out of the store today there was a bike parked next to mine, the biggest BMW I have ever seen in person; Goldwing in size. It was on the center stand. I didn't think of it until I pulled away but I started wondering how you get a 1000+ pound bike up on a center stand when I can barely lift mine up there. I googled it and found out that they are hydraulic. Sounds pretty nifty.

I don't either but speaking of center stands, when I came out of the store today there was a bike parked next to mine, the biggest BMW I have ever seen in person; Goldwing in size. It was on the center stand. I didn't think of it until I pulled away but I started wondering how you get a 1000+ pound bike up on a center stand when I can barely lift mine up there. I googled it and found out that they are hydraulic. Sounds pretty nifty.

I weigh 165 lbs. Putting the 900 lb Goldwing 1800 on the center stand is maybe 50% harder than the NC, but very doable with good technique. I never tried the Beemer 1600.

Leverage.. My old Goldwing was a piece of cake putting on the center stand.

Yeah, I've heard that before. It's not my 150 pound weight that is the issue, it's the height or lack thereof. When I stand next to my bike the grab rail is above my navel. Imagine lifting a 100 pound barbell off the kitchen counter with just one arm. I can do it but it's not pretty so I don't use it in public.

Might I suggest the purchase of a duck foot, it will eliminate many of the parking lot spills. Also, when windy put the bike on the center stand.

Your bike is now customized, and no one has one like it.

All of the bikes I've owned in the last five years have had one of these, in the right hand portion of the photo, attached to the foot of the side stand:

DSCF1506.jpg

Whitehorse Gear used to leave these things scattered around their parking lot in North Conway, NH and free for the taking. I was surprised when I went looking for one for the NC and couldn't find one in the house. I think I gave the couple of extra ones I had away. I don't think it would have helped in this situation as the bike was blown over on to it's right side. I had an iPod on me and didn't think to take a picture of the bike on the ground.

PS
I forgot to say get well quick when you first posted about your injuries. Get. Well. Quick.

I have the DCT model as well and I always use the Parking Brake when parked on the sidestand to prevent anything from inadvertently pushing the bike forward, be that wind, or a runaway shopping cart. Of course the Parking Brake is 100% useless when using the centerstand. It would be better if it was on the front wheel.

The brake was set when I parked it.

I saw this thread and had to chime in myself.

I had this ALMOST happen to my NC while parked on the side stand. There was a storm coming in, and luckily for me I ran out there when it was gusting pretty good. I could see the bike tipping as if it were about to be blown over. So I just parked it on the center-stand from there on out. If that is not an option, make sure you park your NC on it's side stand in the direction the wind is blowing. That way, the wind will push the bike toward the side stand and not away from it.

Something too that happened to my NC recently before I traded it in.. They repaved the parking lot at work with black asphalt. It had been over a week, and thought nothing of it. I came out to get lunch, and saw my bike leaned drastically over. It sunk 4 inches into the black top. I got lucky it did not go all the way over. I cut a 1/2 inch piece of wood, 4 inch by 4 inch square to throw under it. Worked like a charm.

Hope this helps!

Thanks. The wind came in on the left side of the bike and I've been thinking gusts of wind walked the side stand to the right until the bike fell over. My place of work sits on a plateau in Berlin, VT. The only reason this plateau is not covered by a wind farm is there is an active airport nearby. At least now I know which way the wind blows in that parking lot. This is a new facility and a co-worker had his brand new BMW F800ST's side stand sink into the asphalt deep enough that it fell over. There was an APB issued by my boss for bike owners to use a puck under the side stand. I had one under my bikes' stand.

This is a new facility and a co-worker had his brand new BMW F800ST's side stand sink into the asphalt deep enough that it fell over. There was an APB issued by my boss for bike owners to use a puck under the side stand. I had one under my bikes' stand.
One caution with all the talk of side vs center stand. The NC center stand will sink into soft asphalt quicker than side stand. I have found mine with rear wheel on ground and bike leaning as one side sank more than other. Was also difficult to get off stand in this condition. No problem ever on side stand in same parking spot.

Back