• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Denali DM1 Auxiliary lighting... Too bright?

Rabbit

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at adding a pair of denali DM1 compact LED lights to the bike but I have some concerns after reading reviews on them. Several people mentioned how incredibly bright they are which is cool for daytime visibility but I don't want to blind anyone on night rides. Anyone out there have these and can comment? A big bunch of thanks.

You can use a Skene Design controller and program the intensity in 10% increments. I think you can do three levels controlled by a switch, or in my case, I did two levels controlled by the high beam switch.

I don't have Denali lights but rather another brand of LED driving lights. I run them at 10% on low beam since they are plenty bright to improve visibility, and 100% when running high beam so as to light up the sides of country roads at night. Also use modulated high beam and the bright aux lights when needed during the day to wake up distracted drivers.

I use Denali D4s along with the Skene IQ-175 and a TrailTech Three Way handlebar switch (040-HBS-05). Skene even has a diagram to show you how to hook up the Trail Tech switch and defaults to 10%/20%/50%; 100% with the high beams on.

Works quite well.

I use Denali D4s along with the Skene IQ-175 and a TrailTech Three Way handlebar switch (040-HBS-05). Skene even has a diagram to show you how to hook up the Trail Tech switch and defaults to 10%/20%/50%; 100% with the high beams on.

Works quite well.

This sounds great for a setup.
I really like the idea of having quick switches preset as apposed to a dial.
I am held back by the price of the D-4s and pretty much all of the lights I have seen except the Chinese stuff on Amazon.
I noticed that some lights won't work for this system. Do you have any knowledge of some of the lower priced LEDs out there and whether most work or don't?

Do you know what the difference is in the lights?

I would think a relay for the whole system (lights mostly I guess) would be a good idea. Your thoughts?

I have the Denali DM1s since my bike was new 28,000 miles back. No worry about being TOO bright. Never had anyone flash me with them on day or night. I have them aimed a little down and outside the main beam to light up more of the road and shoulder.

This sounds great for a setup.
I really like the idea of having quick switches preset as apposed to a dial.
I am held back by the price of the D-4s and pretty much all of the lights I have seen except the Chinese stuff on Amazon.
I noticed that some lights won't work for this system. Do you have any knowledge of some of the lower priced LEDs out there and whether most work or don't?

Do you know what the difference is in the lights?

I would think a relay for the whole system (lights mostly I guess) would be a good idea. Your thoughts?

The lights that will not work with the system are lights that are ground directly to the chassis via the mount. The IQ-175 controls voltage via the ground connections so you need to have a discreet ground wire to hook it up to. As long as the Chinese LEDs have a ground wire you should be good to go.

I have the Honda relay harness providing switched power (and a handy high beam pass through) so I didn't add a relay. You just need to hook switched power into the IQ. The light can be direct connections, I rigged up an FZ-1 distribution block so that everything would be switched.

Switch Picture
DSC00447.jpg

Wiring
DSC00429.jpg

Wiring testing just for fun
DSC00422.jpg

Thanks for the info.
I really appreciate it.

I will probably use this system. I really like the ability to use the horn (or other switch) tapped twice for the "alert" flashing.

I just think the lights are over priced. Maybe the smart dimmer too but............

Thanks for the info.
I really appreciate it.

I will probably use this system. I really like the ability to use the horn (or other switch) tapped twice for the "alert" flashing.

I just think the lights are over priced. Maybe the smart dimmer too but............

My perspective may be skewed but I have quite a few friends that ride enduro and swear by the Baja Designs stuff that is in the same price bracket so the price felt high but not insane. I will say that these lights are built like a tank and they turn the dark to day without a huge power draw.

Thanks for the info.
I really appreciate it.

I'm using Chinese made M-Factory lights from eBay. They've been running a year and a half now with no problems. One of the reasons I went to the Skene controller was the lights were too bright at full power for normal night driving. People were flashing brights at me quite often.

10 Watt LED lights are bright but pull less than an amp each.

I agree the Denali lights are quite pricey.

I'm using Chinese made M-Factory lights from eBay. They've been running a year and a half now with no problems. One of the reasons I went to the Skene controller was the lights were too bright at full power for normal night driving. People were flashing brights at me quite often.

10 Watt LED lights are bright but pull less than an amp each.

I agree the Denali lights are quite pricey.

I am looking on Amazon and see from the pictures what appears to be identical lights from different sellers. All have odd names that indicate Chinese origin. Also reading the info is a give-away.

One of my head scratchers is how to mount and which particular one to get. Too close to the headlight and there is no "triangle effect" as noted on my sons bike that has factory "light bar". At a distance it is all one light. Or maybe my poor vision helps the lights converge.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill by overthinking again.......

Another lower cost dimmer option is available from ADV Monster:
Waterproof Wireless LED Dimmer with High Beam Bypass - ADVmonster
I haven't installed it on the NC yet, but did test it on the bench and it works great. The remote is used to set the lower power level for normal running and then the high beam input to the box causes the lights to go full bright. I got a set of lights from them also: Model 30 LED off road Spot light - ADVmonster

I did make one mod to the standard wiring by adding a diode to each of the high beam and horn wires going to the violet trigger wire. This allows either the high beam switch or the horn to make the lights go full bright.

I have the DM1 lights and I do not believe they are too bright. I was careful to aim them slightly down so as to not blind anyone at night (I do not ride much at night). I use these primarily for better conspicuity during the day. I believe they work. I love them and they were relatively easy to install.

Thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'm going to add a dimmer to these bad boys, but if I aim them down and to the sides that ought to do the trick. Thanks a bunch everyone.

I have D1s on my bike I ride with them on all the time they are bright but I haven't gotten any snarls from people yet. I have them pointed down a bit below the main beam and out to the sides.

All these style lights throw a 360 degree pattern and are annoying at night to other drivers. Its' best they be wired to the high beam to go off when switched to low beam.
The high $ Clearwater lights have a (brightness) rheostat wired to both beams so as to lower the intensity during nighttime riding.

A flashlight throws a 360 degree pattern. If it is pointed down at an angle it does not bother someone coming the other way. My DM1s are pointed down and a little to the side. Not a problem for on coming cars at night. Low beam plus DM1 I have never been flashed. It is the lowest brightness of the DM series.

All these style lights throw a 360 degree pattern and are annoying at night to other drivers. Its' best they be wired to the high beam to go off when switched to low beam.
The high $ Clearwater lights have a (brightness) rheostat wired to both beams so as to lower the intensity during nighttime riding.

Exactly why I have yet to buy any more lights. I want a focused beam that is not a spotlight. I bet when someone makes that they are going to want even more than the already outrageous amounts for the current lights.

Possibly a misunderstanding on "360 degree". A headlight has the top half blocked to allow shining down the road but not up into the eyes of oncoming traffic. If you shine a Denali at a wall the pattern is round, 360 degree. The width of the Denali beam varies by which you buy. The DM can be either 10 degree or 40 degree. This picture from Twisted Throttle web page shows the pattern of different Denali lights. Again the4 DM1 aimed slightly down does not shine in the eyes of oncoming traffic. I also have mine aimed a bit wide to help see the shoulder and a bit around a tight turn at night. I see more of the road. I am more visible. I do not shine them in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

IsoluxData_Web_1024.jpg

Back