• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dead NC

Joe A.

Reaction score
Visit site
Dead NC - FIXED...DOH!

Last night I installed the sargent seat I bought from dduelin and couldn't wait to try it out on my commute this morning. Bike started right up, however it was idling faster than it should, around 2k. then the check engine light came on. shut it down, restarted, or I tried to, and nothing but silence. As I was heading to work, I didn't have time to check things like lights, etc. hopped on the Guzzi and went to work. It is a 2012 manual and has a warranty,, so not too concerned, but interested if this has happened to anyone else.

Last edited:
Last night I installed the sargent seat I bought from dduelin and couldn't wait to try it out on my commute this morning. Bike started right up, however it was idling faster than it should, around 2k. then the check engine light came on. shut it down, restarted, or I tried to, and nothing but silence. As I was heading to work, I didn't have time to check things like lights, etc. hopped on the Guzzi and went to work. It is a 2012 manual and has a warranty,, so not too concerned, but interested if this has happened to anyone else.

You may have jarred the ECM connectors around while installing the seat. I do recall that unit is located right behind the frunk. Check all the connectors in that area. Also look for any abrasions on any of the wires. This is my advise to you.

so here is what I discovered:
- Day two without a cigarette
- In order to accomplish this, no coffee
- Dentist appt. before work, gear up and get ready to leave
- No start as documented above
- When bike is in gear.......no start!

One of the replies stated "it's a Honda, gonna be something simple." Should have read "owner has been known to be a bonehead at times:cool:
The only thing I can't answer is why the idle seemed higher than normal and the check engine light came on. I took it out for a short 30 minute ride and everything seemed normal. Will double check everything and be aware of any subtle changes.
Seriously, everything checked out and once I put the bike in N, she purred like a kitten. thanks to all for your suggestions.

Last edited:
Never happened to any of the rest of us.... remember spending 20 minutes on expressway wondering why the Wing died ...... duh had hit the kill switch messing with gps.....

Yeah, there's two kinds of riders, those who have done this and those that will. Lol, just kidding. The first time this happened to me it took a while to figure it out.

I walked 1/2 mile out of the woods one time because I couldn't start my DR650. Three hours later, my buddy comes to help me get the bike out of the woods. We find the bike, turn the key, push the button .... nothing. My buddy reaches over and flips the kill switch, hits the button ... it fires right up. Applied palm to face.

facepalm_ernie.jpg

I think we all have a kill switch story. I got ready to leave for work one more at about 5AM and my bike would not start. I started to stress out a little because I did not have a car at the time and it would have required waking up the wife and kids for a ride. I checked everything. Kick stand up, check. In neutral, check. Clutch wires seated, check. Hmmm? WTH? I could figure it out. By this time my body temperature has rising and I'm getting upset. I was just about to get off the bike and I decided to look at the kill switch. How and when did I do that? I suspect the fact it was winter and I had heavy gloves help assist in the flipping the switch.

My right hand mirror came loose as I was approaching a stop light, reached up to swing it back into place while stopped at the light and tighten it down best I could by hand, and some point in this process, engine died...
I was seriously pissed that the engine went out the same time the mirror swung loose, starting to think if there has been excessive vibration on the bike lately that could have shaken a cable loose or what else could have possibly come loose...

Luckily it was a long light and I managed to find the kill switch in the wrong position (hidden from my view because the mirror was in the wrong spot) and get the bike started just as the light changed green, must have bumped it when I was trying to fix the mirror (which ended up flopping around until I made it to my destination and was able to get the a wrench out to tighten it up).

I walked 1/2 mile out of the woods one time because I couldn't start my DR650. Three hours later, my buddy comes to help me get the bike out of the woods. We find the bike, turn the key, push the button .... nothing. My buddy reaches over and flips the kill switch, hits the button ... it fires right up. Applied palm to face.

View attachment 21084

I'm laughing with you so hard I'm crying .... :)

I think we all have a kill switch story. I was just about to get off the bike and I decided to look at the kill switch. How and when did I do that?

If one uses the "Kill Switch" often, you'll never forget about it... :eek:

I've been using the kill switch to stop the engine since I got my first bike that had a kill switch. It has been over 25 years now.

A couple of years ago, makes me feels better, if i say a couple of years ago, I bought a new CX500E, I rode it into to work all the time.

One time, I came out of work, threw my leg over it, went to start it nothing.

At least 10 people came up to me, they all said, did you check the kill switch, and every one had a story, to tell me about the kill switch, it is a very common reason for No-Start.

But my non start, actually was the main fuse, had blown, luckly I had a spare on the bike.

Back