• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

DCT/ABS model review

dduelin

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased a DCT model and have 947 miles on it under a variety of conditions. From July 2012 to October 2014 I owned a manual transmission version so this is my second NC700X. The short reply is I love the new bike. The NC700X hits a really sweet spot for me for else I would not have bought a second one. I'm a relatively experienced rider with a number of different bikes in the garage in the last ten years. Before that I rode on and off since 1970.

This bike combines small bike agility and back road handling with adequate power and highway presence to ride long distances. Honda reliability and build quality means a lot to me and I couldn't be happier to be back on a NC700X. Now, what's it like to give up the manual 6 speed for the DCT 6 speed? Well, for starters I don't see that I gave up much of anything but the few extra pounds that DCT and ABS add to the base model. Sport mode upshifts at points that approximate the way I rode my manual bike and when I wish to override the DCT's logic I can and do with the paddle shifters. When I just feel like riding a little mellower I just use D mode. If I want to choose each gear myself there is full Manual mode but I find myself using M less and less as time goes on. The gearbox is brilliant but it's not perfect. If I'm riding aggressively into a corner and deeply trail braking in Sport it will downshift accordingly but under heavy braking I know I'm going down at least another gear but it's holding the gear it's in and I'll override the computer and thumb down one more gear but since it's not ride by wire the throttle doesn't automatically blip and match revs so I have to do it the old fashioned way with the right wrist. If the box was manual I'd have the ability to toe it down and coordinate the revs with the clutch. DCT takes the clutch away so I have to be good (nay, perfect!) with amount of blip and when. It's a challenge but I'm getting better with these fast manual downshifts under braking. This is really only noticeable when riding like 8/10s or more. Ask less of it approaching a corner and it drops into lower gears like a champ and always is ready to power out of the turn. In Sport it holds the appropriate gear as long as it takes to ride through usual corners. I'm guessing it holds the lower gear about 10 seconds which is plenty long to ride through the corner. Long sweepers that take longer require a manual override and it was intuitive and easy to learn this.

A small annoyance is the downshift behavior in Sport when I'm slowing from 40 or 50 mph to 20 or 25 mph under closed throttle as in coming to a traffic signal or slower traffic. The gearbox in Sport kind of dumps the clutch(s) out with each downshift which is at a higher rpm where the compression braking is stronger. I found that I am oft times choosing to thumb it to D when slowing as the downshifts in D are at lower rpms and more gentle - as I would be doing with the manual gearbox anyway. I did not like to ride under 55 or so in 6th so I use S to hold the 5th to 6th shift off to a speed greater than 55. Easy peasy. The thumbs are learning new tasks as I go along.

It will be interesting to take the first ride to the mountains. With the manual box I would at times find myself running 5500 rpm or more under closed throttle setting up downhill corners. This left nearly zero headroom to the rev limiter when powering out of the turn so I learned to upshift at corner entry to get the bike lower in the power band and use more brake instead of engine compression braking to slow to entry speed. The Manual mode allows holding any gear to any rpm so I know the bike can do it but if I'm riding most of the time in Sport it won't be intuitive to use Manual. I resolve to use Manual at least some of the time when riding in a spirited manner to train my thumbs to act without conscious thought. The reality is that most of my riding is on mundane roads within a couple hundred miles of my home.

I really like the DCT and think Honda did a great job matching this engine's character to the gearbox. I'm not getting the kind of mileage I got with the manual bike but I've been riding it harder most likely and playing with the gear box learning how to use it. The mileage with SippeeCup2 will probably get better with time. I'll try it out one day and see if I can get 90+ mpg just for the grins. The Madstad adds some frontal area the 2012 did not have plus the DCT bikes are geared a little differently IIRC. It won't do the ton yet, giving up at 99.8 GPS mph where the 2012 would do 105 with ease :)

If I owned a DCT, which I don't, I beleive my favorite feature would be not having to hold the clutch in with the left hand at a red light.

I recently purchased a DCT model and have 947 miles on it under a variety of conditions. From July 2012 to October 2014 I owned a manual transmission version so this is my second NC700X. The short reply is I love the new bike. The NC700X hits a really sweet spot for me for else I would not have bought a second one. I'm a relatively experienced rider with a number of different bikes in the garage in the last ten years. Before that I rode on and off since 1970.

Great review and write up. Please see my comments below.

A small annoyance is the downshift behavior in Sport when I'm slowing from 40 or 50 mph to 20 or 25 mph under closed throttle as in coming to a traffic signal or slower traffic. The gearbox in Sport kind of dumps the clutch(s) out with each downshift which is at a higher rpm where the compression braking is stronger. I found that I am oft times choosing to thumb it to D when slowing as the downshifts in D are at lower rpms and more gentle - as I would be doing with the manual gearbox anyway. I did not like to ride under 55 or so in 6th so I use S to hold the 5th to 6th shift off to a speed greater than 55. Easy peasy. The thumbs are learning new tasks as I go along.

I'd recommend using "S-Mode" 90% or more. Supplement with "Override" shifting where it is warranted. Manual Downshifting will clear up most of the issues that you have descried with "S-Mode". "D-Mode" in my oppinion is best suited for highway use and to keep it in 6th gear at highway speeds

It will be interesting to take the first ride to the mountains. With the manual box I would at times find myself running 5500 rpm or more under closed throttle setting up downhill corners. This left nearly zero headroom to the rev limiter when powering out of the turn so I learned to upshift at corner entry to get the bike lower in the power band and use more brake instead of engine compression braking to slow to entry speed. The Manual mode allows holding any gear to any rpm so I know the bike can do it but if I'm riding most of the time in Sport it won't be intuitive to use Manual. I resolve to use Manual at least some of the time when riding in a spirited manner to train my thumbs to act without conscious thought. The reality is that most of my riding is on mundane roads within a couple hundred miles of my home.

When you do, I'd recommend using "S-Mode" with Override shifts. The combination will make your riding experience both pleasurable and engaging.

I really like the DCT and think Honda did a great job matching this engine's character to the gearbox. I'm not getting the kind of mileage I got with the manual bike but I've been riding it harder most likely and playing with the gear box learning how to use it. The mileage with SippeeCup2 will probably get better with time. I'll try it out one day and see if I can get 90+ mpg just for the grins. The Madstad adds some frontal area the 2012 did not have plus the DCT bikes are geared a little differently IIRC. It won't do the ton yet, giving up at 99.8 GPS mph where the 2012 would do 105 with ease :)

I have not ridden NaNCy faster than 95 MPH indicated. I did not buy this bike to go fast. I bought her for many other reasons. So far she has not disappointed me. She does not get as much use since I got "Sparky" though. I pull her out when I need all her capabilities or when I have the need to ride her.

I have not seen any MPGs over the mid 60's on NaNCy, I get those numbers when I go for a mountainous or canyon rides when I am not hard on the throttle. The fuel in California might be different too, so it is hard to say if we would be comparing "Apples to Apples" here.

Thanks for the review very informative. I have a manual 2012 (which I love) and if Honda brings the NC750x DCT to the US I will buy one.

Ditto for me too. I have had my 2012 manual for the past two years and have had my new (used) 2012 DCT for a week now and luv it! I won't repeat the observations here but they are pretty much mine too. On winding, hilly roads, I prefer manual mode and paddle shift as I need to.

Ray

Last edited:
Since I refuse to think of re-farkling another NC, my plan is to fit an automatic clutch from EFM. That would get rid of OCR's concern but leave me completely in charge of the shift points. Plus, no re-farkling. Lots of dirt bikers and some Harley riders use them. I cant think of a wider spectrum of riding styles than Harley to dirt and it seems to satisfy in both camps. I'll probably send the clutch off to them this winter.

Interesting idea keep us posted on the out come. It would be an interesting comparison between the EFM clutch and the DCT!

K
Since I refuse to think of re-farkling another NC, my plan is to fit an automatic clutch from EFM. That would get rid of OCR's concern but leave me completely in charge of the shift points. Plus, no re-farkling. Lots of dirt bikers and some Harley riders use them. I cant think of a wider spectrum of riding styles than Harley to dirt and it seems to satisfy in both camps. I'll probably send the clutch off to them this winter.
Never say never. The stimulus effect of one $20,000 NC700X was enough for Honda to bring us the Africa Twin. Imagine the possibilities with one more such privately funded stimulus program!

I also decided to buy a dct after buying and enjoying a manual nc. I justified it by letting my son take over the manual. After a short ride (being used to the manual) my son stated, "I'm slowing down for a stop on the dct wondering what gear I'm in... and realized... WHO CARES?"
And, yes, it's nice to pull up to a light and just drop my hands or cross them while I wait... and not be concerned about getting it back into gear and moving with traffic.
I appreciated the write up... I am not a sophisticated rider and the observations put words onto a lot of what I experience on my dct. I really enjoy it... even more than manual... it was a geat purchase.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I really like the DCT and think Honda did a great job matching this engine's character to the gearbox.
Dave, my thoughts exactly. I almost think that Honda designed this motorcycle engine specifically for the dual clutch transmission. I am very satisfied with the engine/DCT combo and don't miss the clutch lever even one iota. This is after 144,000 miles on my GL1800 and tens of thousands of miles on other motorcycles...

I do despise the drive chain though ;-)

BTW, great write-up..

Last edited:
Comparisons are normally done between objects that are not the same. One can compare a penguin to a bowling ball.

The "full objective comparison" will be how the 6MT with auto clutch compares to the DCT in conditions of use.

dduelin,
I bought my 2012 NC700X in Sep of 2012 and rode it a bit over 3000 mi before riding a DCT demonstrator at GOAZ here in Scottsdale. I fell for the DCT for many of the same reasons that you have mentioned as well as considering the arthritis in my hands and trying to prolong my ability to ride as long as possible. I am just turning 85 and anything that makes riding more comfortable and safer appeals to me!!

I have put just over 15000 miles on the bike since trading the 700X in in April of 2013.
I am completely pleased with it and haven't found much to complain about.
As you mentioned, MPG is not quite as good as the 700X but I am still getting around 65 mpg. I have ridden the bike all over AZ and over to CA, up to CO and UT and understanding what Honda had in mind when designing the bike to be a very practical machine.
I use the DCT in much the same way as you have pointed out. "S" most of the time, "M" not that often, "D" for puttering and long cruising.
I have found that when in S and entering a corner/sharper curve, I tend to shift down with the toggle and not even to that low of a gear. The motor is set for low rpm torque and will accelerate very nicely (quickly) in a gear up from what you might think. Think diesel car.
I use "M" to fool around and sometimes if I want to hold it in first or second on gravel road or parking lot. Not too much off-road as I have Ural for that!
The versatility of the DCT is amazing and it still makes me smile.

I will be sure to ride an Africa Twin when a DCT model is available...I doubt that it will tempt me off the 700, if for no other reason than seat height, but it does show Honda's commitment to the DCT. (As well as many riders)
I'm sorry to go on so, but I wanted to ask how you like the Madstad. Mine is arriving tomorrow and will replace a CeeBailey that is a good product but doesn't keep the air off my sides and helmet. I also have a GIVI windshield which does a good job but is lighter. The Madsad hopefully, will offer enough different settings, that I won't be changing windshields so much.
Any Madstad tips would be appreciated!
BudK

Bud, I added the madstad to my nc, and absolutely love it. No buffeting at all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Madstad works great. I am 5'7" so I purchased the smallest model and have it adjusted to the lowest setting. Puts the air right at the top of my helmet. I didn't have to do any tilt adjustment.

Back