• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Darn gravel

Gunner

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish this was more spectacular and less stupid, but alas, it's just stupid. Thursday July 7, I arrived at the AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days campground with the bike loaded down with camping gear and other stuff (top heavy). I spied a perfect tent spot so I turned into the spot on the gravel road. At this time I should point out I had removed my jacket. the front tire started to slide, fell in a rut and I high sided into the gravel. This, of course caused me much embarrassment and really bad case of road rash on both arms. It was a motorcycle event so there were no less then 25 riders watching me. I had plenty of help. camping neighbor was a nurse with a good first aid kit. I need a new mirror, new front blinker and some elbow grease to buff out the scratches on the tupperware. To help my case, over the course of the weekend I watched 3 other riders do the same thing in the same spot.

Otherwise had a great time! Great vintage bikes, great party, great swap meet.

Did the same thing on another bike and in front of my family as I was pulling into a reunion. Quite the entrance.

I hate turning on gravel with the OEM / road tires for this precise reason. If I have to make any direction changes, I almost always come to a complete stop so the bike stays upright through the maneuver. Can't wait for new tires. :/

Sometimes there's nothing you can do about road features that capture your tires. There's an elongated square pothole exactly the width of my tire, between a main road and a turn lane near my place that I always have to consciously avoid.
Hitting it crossways wouldn't be a problem but lengthwise I'm sure I'd be thrown.

Gravel and sand in corners after it rains here, I hate it but riding off road always prompts me to never ever reach for the front brake and always get up off the seat at put my weight over the tank. I suppose we will face these hazards as long as we ride. Don't worry about being embarrassed none of those watching have gone without being in the same situ at one time.

Last edited:
Wondered who else was there. I saw 2 other NC's when I was there. Was so busy, though, I didnt even think to try and find you. I was camped back with LouVin (the loud corner with the music and "DJ")

Ouch :( sorry to hear you hit the deck, gunner!

Some folks are blessed with never having gone down at some point in their career but the rest of us poor sods have empathy for new members in the club lol

Last edited:
You don't really get close to your bike unless you've laid 'er down.
Please don't ask how I know.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune Gunney. I slipped on some loose gravel last Tuesday turning from the highway onto my road. Luckily the bike didn't go down, but it could easily been a bad scene. Best wishes for a quick recovery.

Like the old saying........... "There's only two kinds of bikers, those that have gone down and those that are going too."

Sorry for your bad luck. More consolation. ..I high sided mine 2 weeks ago turning onto a gravel road similarly. Had all my gear on so just sore 60 YO bones and muscles. I broke off my front brake lever leaving 2 inches usable for the ride home.
Now I have good handguards and a skidplate installed with crash bars and fender extender ordered. Can't wait for my stock Pirelli's to wear out so I can get some 705's. Only 2600 miles on them and very high 'pucker factor' whenever I am on gravel.

Wondered who else was there. I saw 2 other NC's when I was there. Was so busy, though, I didnt even think to try and find you. I was camped back with LouVin (the loud corner with the music and "DJ")
Too bad, I would have liked to seen you. I was at the other end of the campgrounds by the track.

Gunner I'm sorry to hear you bit it in the gravel but at least you didn't get your NC700 day one and drop it before you got out the parking lot. I didn't think to scuff the tires or to "take it easy" while leaning and in a paved parking lot I fishtailed my bike out from under me. I've riden dirtbikes on and off the road (previous bike XR650L) but all had knobbies on them and this had not knobby tires so like normal I just hopped on and went... about ten feet. Then I had to go back in and buy a new brake lever while being griped at then laughed at. I reckon that should make you feel a little bit better about dumping your bike in loose gravel I hope!

Here ya go, Gunner. Join us! Join us!

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/groups...-have-been-down--d50-down-to-earrth-club.html

Quicky to make you feel better. I was telling my brother about my trip to the Grand Canyon last year before I went. He said he wanted to go (but ended up not going). I said I'd be going on some gravel and he was saying he could go anywhere on his Harley that I could go on my NC. He laid it down on the way out of my parents gravel driveway. I tried not to laugh (too hard)!

Back